Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Piston or gear?

Piston or gear?

The hydraulic pump on my Ford 3000 is toast. I can get a replacement piston type pump like the original or a gear type pump like on the larger Fords. I can afford either one although the gear pump is quirte a bit cheaper. Is there an advantage one type has over the other? I plan on keeping the tractor a long time so service life is a factor.

Thanks
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned
    Opps, misread the question. You were talking about hydraulics and I was thinking injectors.

the gear is an open center pump, the piston is a closed center which requires a sensing line to tell the pump to pump. You can google the difference between closed and open center pumps. If you are keeping it I would probably stay with the closed like it has.

Moderator Emeritus

I have been out of that trade for a long time but a piston pump should give you more flow if you plan on adding hydraulic accessories. If not leave it as is.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

to many times i have been bit trying to use will fit parts, stay with original, there must be a reason the ford engineers did what they did. are you sure its not just low on fluid or the filter is dirty, you have to split the 3000 to access the filter and remember the thousand series ford has a front hydraulic reservoir and a rear hydraulic reservoir.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Usually piston type pumps are slightly more efficient than gear.,but if pressures are under 2500 psi I doubt you will detect any difference.I am not familar with the Ford 3000 but I would just get the gear pump. It should last years. Is the piston variable volume?