Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: looking for .321 round nose for old Remington 14 .32 Rem

Hello Adam,

For making brass from 30-30 or 32 Special you would have to trim rim to .422" and cut the extractor groove.
    Yes, this would have to be done on a lathe. Why bother, Graf & Son's have .32 Remington Brass in stock.
    https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/71103
    As far as bullets, cheapest method would be a LEE C324-175-1R and size it to .321".
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010213717?pid=710529

AntiqueSledMan.

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    I've used the 323-175 Lee in the one I load .
    They shot well with the mould dropping at .325 and sized .323 . The barrel is .321×.316 as I recall . I used 32 WS data and I 4350 , the start load for the 170 gr Speer RNSP delivered just over the max load MV . I'm thinking 2160 fps but it's been a while .
    I did a plain base on that mould so that was also unchecked .
    Thanks, Rich -

hey, I'm dumb - are the barrel specs you have listed on your .32 Rem rifle in the format: grooves .321/lands .316?

take care
    Adam
    I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiqueSledMan View Post
    Hello Adam,

For making brass from 30-30 or 32 Special you would have to trim rim to .422" and cut the extractor groove.
    Yes, this would have to be done on a lathe. Why bother, Graf & Son's have .32 Remington Brass in stock.
    https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/71103
    As far as bullets, cheapest method would be a LEE C324-175-1R and size it to .321".
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010213717?pid=710529

AntiqueSledMan.
    Thanks for the tips, I will check out those links.

You guys are all giving me great help in finding what I need to shoot with for my old Model 14!

Adam
    I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.

Boolit Master
    Adam,sorry for the late reply, was not able to log on for a few days.To make the brass,I used a lathe to turn off the rim, then ground a bit with the extractor groove profile,and cut it to the proper depth. That was before brass was easily avaliable. Now I would just buy some from Grafs as AntiqueSledMan said.

If you would like a few bullets send me a PM, as I found some Lee RN, and a few .323 Lyman 8mm RN #323470 that might work.

Boolit Master
    The Lee 8mm might work for you. The Speer 170 has a much narrower profile than the Hornady, so it might work. I have run various 8mm jacketed (.323) without issue through several Marlin 336's in .32 Special. I usually run .323 cast bullets through my .32 Specials and they are are .321 but the throat and chamber take the .323 with better accuracy, both Microgroove and standard(Ballard?) rifling. I would start with the Lee C324-175-1R, inexpensive and available. There is also Hawk bullets, a little pricey, but they have or will make what you want. If the .323 chamber, that is what I would use.

Boolit Grand Master

I just size down the Lee rn for the Mauser, no problems.

Boolit Master
    Adam, I do not have a 32 but my 30 Remington feeds 31141 and the 165 ranch dog perfectly, as long as they are less than the max COL spec for the 30 Rem. I am aware the acknowledged expert on these guns says only roundnose, just saying I have not experienced any issues with flat nose cast. Now, squeak just a fuzz above max COL and the jam is epic. Can you detail what your feeding issue is with the FP you have tried? Reason for asking is I am puzzled how the spiral mag affects feeding? Have Roy tried only one in the tube? In the 30/32 caliber I much prefer a FP for hunting, but never tried the roundnose, so there is that. I do love these guns, you need a 35 Remington too
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned
    I have a botched .310" swaging die. I could ream it out for a 32 Cal. I would need exact dimensions though (diameter and weight + hardness of lead desired.)
    This is no guarantee that I will get it right. But if I do I would be glad to send you some.

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    Adam,sorry for the late reply, was not able to log on for a few days.To make the brass,I used a lathe to turn off the rim, then ground a bit with the extractor groove profile,and cut it to the proper depth. That was before brass was easily avaliable. Now I would just buy some from Grafs as AntiqueSledMan said.

If you would like a few bullets send me a PM, as I found some Lee RN, and a few .323 Lyman 8mm RN #323470 that might work.
    Guess what? I came home from work yesterday to find your package of boolits waiting for me on my doorstep! Thanks a million. I will get to working those rounds up soon, and get back with a report. This is a perfect example why Cast Boolits is a great place for the reloading hobbyist - folks who share not only knowledge, but the boolits! LOL

Very appreciated

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    The Lee 8mm might work for you. The Speer 170 has a much narrower profile than the Hornady, so it might work. I have run various 8mm jacketed (.323) without issue through several Marlin 336's in .32 Special. I usually run .323 cast bullets through my .32 Specials and they are are .321 but the throat and chamber take the .323 with better accuracy, both Microgroove and standard(Ballard?) rifling. I would start with the Lee C324-175-1R, inexpensive and available. There is also Hawk bullets, a little pricey, but they have or will make what you want. If the .323 chamber, that is what I would use.
    Thank you for your ideas - I appreciate them!

Adam

Boolit Master
    I have several of those 14's and while the spiral magazine tube keeps me from loading spitzers I have never had trouble with flat noses. In fact, that's all my rifles ever see -- boolits from an ancient Ohaus copy of the Lyman 31141 mold for the 30's, Lyman's 258312 for the 25's and Lee's copy of the RCBS 210 grain flat nose for the 35's. To my sorrow I still don't have a 32.

If you hold your mouth just right you can get the 35 ca. 180 grain Hornady spitzers loaded and that makes a dandy shooter when you need something with flatter trajectory.

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Adam, I do not have a 32 but my 30 Remington feeds 31141 and the 165 ranch dog perfectly, as long as they are less than the max COL spec for the 30 Rem. I am aware the acknowledged expert on these guns says only roundnose, just saying I have not experienced any issues with flat nose cast. Now, squeak just a fuzz above max COL and the jam is epic. Can you detail what your feeding issue is with the FP you have tried? Reason for asking is I am puzzled how the spiral mag affects feeding? Have Roy tried only one in the tube? In the 30/32 caliber I much prefer a FP for hunting, but never tried the roundnose, so there is that. I do love these guns, you need a 35 Remington too
    Thanks for offering your ideas, rking - you know I'm only going by one particular FN bullet that jams every time, and that's one that I did not load myself. I did not even consider seating depth and that is telling me I should go measure the rounds I have left, to see where the OAL is compared to my RN bullets that do work.

Might be just a seating depth issue, thanks for clueing me in.

Be well

Adam

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12