Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for .321 round nose for old Remington 14 .32 Rem

Question looking for .321 round nose for old Remington 14 .32 Rem

Well, good morning folks. I'm a newbie and have a grand total of 5 posts at this point, wow. LOL

So here's something I as a newbie to reloading as well as cast boolits have a problem with: a lack of .321 sized round-nose boolits to load for my old Remington 14 pump rifle. Occasionally Buffalo Arms sells a short run of their "new" brass .32 with RN profile soft points, but I seem to miss the boat on that every year.

They usually keep the 170 grain flat points in stock longer - of course, that's since Remington 8's and 81's can shoot both .32 bullet profiles with no troubles. Unlike my Model 14 pump.

Would any one of you fine folks wish to help me learn where or how to locate some correct round-nose cast or jacketed pills for my reloading projects? I appreciate any ideas guys. Thank you so much!

Adam
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32remEU12913.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	249622Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1235.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	249623
    I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.

By the way, I forgot to label the photos I added. The plastic bucket of ammo is a portion of some of the vintage .32 Rem RN I bought a few years back on GB. I hope to be able to anneal a bunch of the cases I disassembled a while ago, so I can reload them with fresh primers/powder and boolits.
    I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.

Boolit Grand Master
    Adam Lee, perhaps you could make some “Mexican Match” reloads while you are looking for a mould... we used to break down military ammo of dubious history or provenance, saving the brass and bullets.. With fresh primer and powder of known quality we then had a sort of “semi-match” round we knew would be safe and reliable.

As for the mould you are looking for, have you searched auction sites (especially e-Bay) thoroughly? I see that style of mould listed periodically as I look for 319XXX moulds for 32-40s.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

I killed my first buck with .32 Remington 14. I think they were 170 gr jacketed soft points.
    Great rifles.....wish I still had it.
    Denny

USMC 77, USRA 79

seems like the same boolit I use in my 32 win special should work fine.. drops 323 at 160ish grains. what you really need is the correct sizer. how do you know the gun wants .321 boolits?? i think a flat point would be way better unless you have feeding issues.

also, do you have the means to size boolits and lube them? gas checks?
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

The Speer 170 fn should work it's designed for the 32 spl and it is .321 . There's also the Lee 175 that can be sized down it's RN design
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master

NOE has at least 12 mould designs , maybe a few more , for 32 cal. rifles , RN and FP .
    A 2 cavity mould is $79.00 , 3 cavity cost $86.00 and 4 cavity run $92.00 ...you can usually find a 10% off Sale for any holiday. Sweet moulds and they sell their own sizer for whatever size you want/need . Made in the USA and Al "Swede" Nelson is good people .
    Buy a mould and sizer and never worry about your boolit supply again .
    Check them out www.noebulletmolds.com
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Hornady also makes a .321 dia RNFP for 32 WS, Mid South shows them in stock.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I've used the 323-175 Lee in the one I load .
    They shot well with the mould dropping at .325 and sized .323 . The barrel is .321×.316 as I recall . I used 32 WS data and I 4350 , the start load for the 170 gr Speer RNSP delivered just over the max load MV . I'm thinking 2160 fps but it's been a while .
    I did a plain base on that mould so that was also unchecked .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Look at places like gunbroker for Ideal 321427. Its an old mold but a good one for 32-20, 32 Rem, 32 Win special, etc. When someone here first told me about it I went to gunbroker and found one right away-- and it didn't cost much ($40 including the mold handles, as I recall). Its a sweet little round nose, gas checked bullet.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Adam Lee, perhaps you could make some “Mexican Match” reloads while you are looking for a mould... we used to break down military ammo of dubious history or provenance, saving the brass and bullets.. With fresh primer and powder of known quality we then had a sort of “semi-match” round we knew would be safe and reliable.

As for the mould you are looking for, have you searched auction sites (especially e-Bay) thoroughly? I see that style of mould listed periodically as I look for 319XXX moulds for 32-40s.

Froggie
    thanks for the thoughts, Froggie. "Mexican match" bullet remanufacturing is exactly what I'm doing now - wow! It has a name!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    seems like the same boolit I use in my 32 win special should work fine.. drops 323 at 160ish grains. what you really need is the correct sizer. how do you know the gun wants .321 boolits?? i think a flat point would be way better unless you have feeding issues.

also, do you have the means to size boolits and lube them? gas checks?
    I appreciate your comments, Markopolo. You know you are correct - I have not slugged the bore, as I'm just getting into the DIY lead boolits thing and up to now am using pulled original jacketed RN pills. Also, the Model 14 pumps have an odd spiral-feeding tube design that is super-finicky with bullet profile. On most of these rifles, you get feed jams using anything other than pure round nose bullets. I have tried over and over with RNFP but they jam up and can't feed in my gun.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    NOE has at least 12 mould designs , maybe a few more , for 32 cal. rifles , RN and FP .
    A 2 cavity mould is $79.00 , 3 cavity cost $86.00 and 4 cavity run $92.00 ...you can usually find a 10% off Sale for any holiday. Sweet moulds and they sell their own sizer for whatever size you want/need . Made in the USA and Al "Swede" Nelson is good people .
    Buy a mould and sizer and never worry about your boolit supply again .
    Check them out www.noebulletmolds.com
    Gary
    Thanks Gary - I am now looking into NOE's offerings.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    I've used the 323-175 Lee in the one I load .
    They shot well with the mould dropping at .325 and sized .323 . The barrel is .321×.316 as I recall . I used 32 WS data and I 4350 , the start load for the 170 gr Speer RNSP delivered just over the max load MV . I'm thinking 2160 fps but it's been a while .
    I did a plain base on that mould so that was also unchecked .
    Thanks Rich! You are June '39 vintage? Dad is June '41 model year, FWIW. Guess I'm just a 55 year old baby!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    Look at places like gunbroker for Ideal 321427. Its an old mold but a good one for 32-20, 32 Rem, 32 Win special, etc. When someone here first told me about it I went to gunbroker and found one right away-- and it didn't cost much ($40 including the mold handles, as I recall). Its a sweet little round nose, gas checked bullet.
    Thanks for the info, Hick! Appreciated!

Adam

Boolit Master
    Adam, I found that seating depth and cartridge overall length had to watched to prevent jams with my .30Rem model 14. When I loaded a certain cast flat nose bullet, I had to seat it a bit deeper than the crimp groove, or it would hang up trying to raise up out of the magazine tube. Maybe you could try seating the .321 jacketed a bit deeper than the crimp cannelure, and see if they feed better. I think I have the Ideal RN mold, and could cast you some bullets, but would be later this winter, as we are waiting to start harvest, if it ever stops raining and snowing on us.

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    Adam, I found that seating depth and cartridge overall length had to watched to prevent jams with my .30Rem model 14. When I loaded a certain cast flat nose bullet, I had to seat it a bit deeper than the crimp groove, or it would hang up trying to raise up out of the magazine tube. Maybe you could try seating the .321 jacketed a bit deeper than the crimp cannelure, and see if they feed better. I think I have the Ideal RN mold, and could cast you some bullets, but would be later this winter, as we are waiting to start harvest, if it ever stops raining and snowing on us.
    Gewehr-Guy,

I think your point about seating the bullet deeper has some good merit. Also wondered what your luck is with non-RN bullets in general with the Model 14 spiral tube mag for feeding, has the trouble jam-ups completely disappeared simply with the deeper seating?

thank you!

Adam

Boolit Master
    Adam, while I have a M-14 in .32R, I have not shot it yet, but the .30 cal Lee FN bullet feeds OK in my .30 Rem 14 and 08. My only issues seem to be with an out of spec rim on my cases, as I make them out of 30-30 Win brass, and sometimes I cut one a little thick and it doesn't want to slide up the breech block properly, so when I have any troublesome case it gets discarded.

The Hornady .321 170gr FN bullets have a rather wide flat nose {.175} , so they might give more problems than a true RN while chambering, but you will just have to try them in your rifle. If you would like I could send you a few, and some Lee .323 RN cast bullets, and you make up some dummy rounds and see how they feed, and try different seating depths ect.

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    Adam, while I have a M-14 in .32R, I have not shot it yet, but the .30 cal Lee FN bullet feeds OK in my .30 Rem 14 and 08. My only issues seem to be with an out of spec rim on my cases, as I make them out of 30-30 Win brass, and sometimes I cut one a little thick and it doesn't want to slide up the breech block properly, so when I have any troublesome case it gets discarded.

The Hornady .321 170gr FN bullets have a rather wide flat nose {.175} , so they might give more problems than a true RN while chambering, but you will just have to try them in your rifle. If you would like I could send you a few, and some Lee .323 RN cast bullets, and you make up some dummy rounds and see how they feed, and try different seating depths ect.
    Gewehr-Guy,
    I've tried .32 handloads with the very same Hornady 170 grain FN .321 bullets in this particular M-14. Never does feed properly, that spiral tube just doesn't do any good for feeding - every time they get jammed up. I don't see how seating depth will make that much of a positive difference, but I since I still have a few of these Hornady FN rounds unfired, I could pull the bullets and reload them deeper to see what happens.

Now, on the other hand, that is a very kind offer on your part with the Lee .323 RN cast bullets. If these are truly RN profile, I'd appreciate 3 or 4 to build up and experiment with. If you're game, I can PM you my mailing contact info.

thanks for your time!
    Adam

Also was curious as to your method of cutting the .30-30 brass when you form to .30 Rem or .32 Rem. Are you spinning the cases on a lathe, and milling the rims off that way? After the rims are milled off, what sort of tool do you put to the brass in order to cut the extractor groove?

Wish I had more than 750 sq ft of a condo so I could have a shop area!

thanks for your time.
    Adam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast