MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: 44-40 Pistol or rifle primer?

Boolit Master

44-40 Pistol or rifle primer?

I have a 44-40 six gun and a 44-40 lever gun and shoot the same bullet.the Lyman cast bullet manual only has data for pistol loads using a pistol primer. should I use a rifle primer when loading for the lever gun or just use the same pistol primer that I use in my six gun.right now im shooting 6 grains of trail boss in my six gun and shooting it in my rifle but im thinking of dropping the charge down to say 5 grains in pistol and maybe go up to 7.0 in the rifle. thoughts?

Boolit Master
    The primer pockets are intended for pistol primers, so that's what I would use. Large rifle primers stand a few thousandths of an inch taller than large pistol primers do, and the primer pockets are sized accordingly. Using a large rifle primer in brass intended for large pistol primers might leave the primer protruding enough to cause problems.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

The concerns are twofold: Will the pressure of rifle rounds cause issues with pistol primers, and will the pistol firing pen activate a rifle primer? Offhand, I doubt that the charges you mentioned will demonstrate pressures requiring rifle primers. That's my 2 cents.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    I shoot a .45 Colt six shooter and a .45 Colt lever action rifle. Same ammo for both. Large pistol primers.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Large rifle primers in .44-40 brass will "stand proud" because the height of the primer cup is different. Use large PISTOL primers ALWAYS in .44-40!

Loading for a .44-40 rifle to levels which are unsuitable for the revolver sort of defeats the purpose of the rifle-revolver combo. If you happen to have a RUGER .44-40 revolver or an 1836-1986 Texas Wagon Train Commemorative S&W N-frame Model 544, then you can shoot Winchester '92 loads in those two strong handguns. If you have either an original or modern clone of a Colt Single Action Frontier Six Shooter, you want to load 6 grains of Bullseye, Trailboss or TiteGroup or 6.5 grains of Red Dot, WST or 452AA with a 200-208-grain soft, no harder than 10 BHN, .430" bullet, and approximate the 13,000 psi pressure and (800-950 fps revolver, 1150-1200 fps rifle) velocities of factory loads.

My 1905 Colt shoots best with soft .430" bullets of 1 to 30 tin-lead alloy from Roto Metals. Vintage pre-WW2 Rem-UMC, WRA and Western factory loads also shoot well. I find Accurate 43-206H an improvement over traditional bullet shapes and it feeds well in lever-action rifles too!

Attachment 249641Attachment 249646
    Attachment 249642Attachment 249645Attachment 249647
    Last edited by Outpost75; 10-13-2019 at 11:50 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    You got your answer already but I will add a vote for the large pistol primer and using the same load for both . Your revolver load will be faster in the rifle and the pistol rounds are great deer killers so I don't see much need for a seperate hot rifle round that might accidentally end up in the revolver.

Eddie
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

I had a balloon head .44WCF case. It had a Large PISTOL Primer in it. Came from the Factory that way, marked UMC 44-40.
    decapped it 40yrs ago using a Lee decapping punch & base. Just to satisfy my curiosity.

Never thought about putting Large rifle primers in a .44-40 case.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Even with the higher velocity loads intended for the Winchester 1892, pressures do not exceed about 23,000 psi and are well within the design limits of pistol primers, as .44 Magnum loads run up to 35-38,000 psi.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I have never seen a loading manual that call for large rifle primers in the .44-40.

Boolit Master
    Rifle primers will stand proud of case head as they're taller than pistol primers very risky in a tube mag.