Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boot ice grippers

Boolit Grand Master

Are you asking about just walking to your car, or about ice fishing or similar? They all work somewhat, and they all get lost eventually. I'm an ice fisherman, and use Yak trax. They go on easy in just a few seconds. They don't grip all that well, but are plenty to keep you from falling as long as you walk like you are on ice. I've never fallen with them.

The very best on ice is boots with studs, however, it turns out they are not practical in the real word. Driving with them is iffy. No store will let you in with them. They are slick as snot on smooth concrete. The biggest problem for me is not the glare ice. The biggest problem is when you get a dusting of snow on that ice deeper than your grips. There is no perfect answer for this, but Yak Trax actually seem to dig in pretty well compared to studs with snow.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Are you asking about just walking to your car, or about ice fishing or similar? They all work somewhat, and they all get lost eventually. I'm an ice fisherman, and use Yak trax. They go on easy in just a few seconds. They don't grip all that well, but are plenty to keep you from falling as long as you walk like you are on ice. I've never fallen with them.

The very best on ice is boots with studs, however, it turns out they are not practical in the real word. Driving with them is iffy. No store will let you in with them. They are slick as snot on smooth concrete. The biggest problem for me is not the glare ice. The biggest problem is when you get a dusting of snow on that ice deeper than your grips. There is no perfect answer for this, but Yak Trax actually seem to dig in pretty well compared to studs with snow.
    Of all the falls I have suffered in Winter, the bolded above has always been the worst ones. Light snow on ice is the most dangerous walking, IMO.

P.S. - I ice fish a lot as well. No running to the tipups is one of our rules, the fish will still be there even if you walk if ya did what you were supposed to do in setting it. If people run, they usually fall & hurt themselves, & it ruins every one in the parties day & not just the one(s) who fell, because the others usually have to deal with the one that got hurt.

I am sure you know what I mean...

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy
    The best I ever used was purchased at REI. A thick sole with a bunch of small hardened screws. Two Velcro straps held them to your shoes or boots. Once the screw heads wore down you could replace them easily.
    $50 a pair and worth every penny.

Boolit Master
    crampon is the word you are looking for. slip-ons go over your shoes in a second and have various types of spikes, from brand to brand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12