Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boot ice grippers

Boolit Master

Boot ice grippers

Last year was a horrible icy winter here lasting for probably 6 weeks and I really took a few hard falls on the ice. This year I want to get a set of slip on ice grippers for my boots while I'm out. Scheels just put out their new inventory of a half a dozen different styles. Yak Trac chains, Yak Trac diamond point chains, then a few styles of steel points, What are you guys using for ice, and snow on hard shiney ice?

When I was a kid, we didn't have shoes.
    We just wrapped barbed wire around out feet to get some traction on the ice.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Yaktrax pro traction is what I use ice fishing. I recommend them as they have performed well while pulling my otter sled on pure ice and ice that is snow covered.

I've used these on lakes that have little snow Ergodyne TREX 6304 Performance Traction Cleats they worked fine on solid ice but I'd be leary on icy concrete.

Boolit Master
    We get more ice than snow. I use the type that are skeletonized rubber that have replaceable steel studs. Easy on/off. Forget which brand but there are many out on the web. Check Amazon.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Of all the types I have used over the years, and I have tried a lot of them, the Yak Tracs Pro & Diamond have been the best for me.

They would be the ones I would suggest.

The cost, around $20 a set IIRC, is well worth the price of not landing on your butt, or any other part of your body that you don't want to have hit the ground surface real hard, regardless of type of surface.

G'Luck! whatever you decide.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    A WWII veteran I used to work for about 35 years ago had 10-12 pair of ice creepers that were GI surplus. They had hinges that allowed them to fit different shoe sizes and were secured to the shoes by leather straps. Always wanted a pair of those just for the novelty of having them. When he passed his family disposed of them before I knew they were cleaning out his goods. They probably sent them to the landfill.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I never had much luck with any of them. I got a pair of thick soled winter boots, and screwed 1/4" self tapping hex topped screws into each lug. I could run on glare ice with them, if I was the running type. They have the added benefit of being a cheap option.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I never had much luck with any of them. I got a pair of thick soled winter boots, and screwed 1/4" self tapping hex topped screws into each lug. I could run on glare ice with them, if I was the running type. They have the added benefit of being a cheap option.
    The commercial version of the this is the "Stableicers" strap on platform and costs about $30-$40 depending on where you get them. They work well on slick-icy concrete. I use them when clearing the concrete pad in front of the garage. The metal 'cleats' are replaceable and are made of steel. While I did get some replacement cleats, I have yet to need them. The Yaktracks have different models and if you only need nonslip traction occasionally they do work. I keep a pair in our vehicles for those moments. The toughest ones are the 'Stabilicers" in my estimate. If you are dealing with deep snow then consider the instep or full sole crampons for stability or traction.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Grand Master

Yak Pros. Company gives them out to those that want a pair
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    You can buy screw in carbide studs for ATV's. https://www.amazon.com/Marrkey-Anti-...a-568481742386

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    They all work...and come off and get lost. I had some cheapies from thirty years ago that we’re just some cheap black rubber with cleats. You could get them at farm and fleet, also Shopko. Worked well on my ice Kings that were slick as butter on ice and snow...but sure can keep my feet warm. If it were me I’d buy a few pairs of the cheapest ones because they come off when you least expect it. They work great till you loose them. My bother in law fell down and broke his wrist two years ago with that nasty ice storm you guys had while he was salting his side walk.

Boolit Master

A couple of years ago we had more ice than snow so I invented ice shoes for the wife to use to get to the mail box. I used duck tape that I pushed shingle nails though then wrap them around her tennis shoes. She wouldn't wear them, drat.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master

I've had good luck with icetrekkers.

https://icetrekkers.com/

Moderator Emeritus

I have used several kinds and never found one not to work when put on. Use what fits your boot best.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I've used the yak tracs and they work fine for me.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Two maybe 3 years ago I went to the grocery store for some odds and ends.
    Heard some funny clicking coming across the parking lot.So, here comes a guy almost running,and I thought boy is he looking to take a fall.NOT.He was wearing GOLF SPIKES.
    Seemed to work well for him.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    I’ve used both the yak traks and a brand I think was called Yukon Charlie’s that had carbide spikes when I’ve hiked the frozen sections of the Grand Canyon in winter. Both worked fine for me. I think I liked the Yukon Charlie’s just a tiny bit more.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Buddy
    +2 on the stableicers, not cheap, but are great on ice. Been using mine going on twelve years.

Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad this subject came up.
    Last year there was a day or two, when I wished I had some ice grippers for shoes.
    So when I seen this thread 8 days ago, I ordered some cheap clone of Jak-Trax (Fleebay for $7 they arrived saturday), just to have lying around, incase we get an ice storm this year. They only need to save my backside one time
    Thanks.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast