RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Walking Around Rifle

One of these; stubbed to .32 H&R or 32-20 and sights added- would serve well in my opinion. I may do that someday but my golly it's SO fun as a .410....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

Is that one of the Yildiz guns they sell in Academy Sports? Things are pretty and cheap. I've been resisting the urge to buy one and do exactly what you propose at some point.

Speaking of Academy, was in there last night and looked at one of the Ruger American Ranch rifles in .300 Blackout, I think that would be the perfect walk around gun. I have no interest in supressors, but it could be a bolt action .32-20 real easy for anyone who reloads and casts.

Yes, Yildiz. I cant imagine why they don't offer a 20 gauge version- they would sell a ton.

Boolit Master
    Walmart sells almost the same gun for $99 in 12, 20 or 410 called the Hatfield. The main difference I can see is the Hatfield has a rib and the trigger guard slides to the rear as an opening lever. I bought a 20 and a 410 and am considering another 410 for stubbing to 256Win.

That shotgun looks remarkably like a gun I used to see at gun shops back in the 70s. Back then, they had them available in several gauges and even made a trap version.
    I shot trap quite a bit at that time and a fellow had one at our club. I remember him complaining that it kicked pretty hard.

Banned

That little Yildiz has some kind of aluminum frame and a long, pencil thin barrel. It handles more like a fly rod than a shot gun. Much, much nicer gun than the Hatfields I've looked at.

Academy doesn't seem to be selling them that well, I might oughta grab a few before they decide to discontinue or or something.

I shot my bo pistol today, 145 gr PB 32/20 speed loads, almost no recoil. Fun! 100gr plinkers, no recoil at all. So far no cycling but working on that.
    10", <7# loaded with 3x scope. Single point sling so hands free walking.
    Last edited by popper; 11-05-2019 at 11:59 AM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    That shotgun looks remarkably like a gun I used to see at gun shops back in the 70s. Back then, they had them available in several gauges and even made a trap version.
    I shot trap quite a bit at that time and a fellow had one at our club. I remember him complaining that it kicked pretty hard.
    Was it a Galef ?
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Galef and Beretta both offered hammerlesss folding shotguns decades ago. The Yildiz is the Turkish reincarnation of the design. I had a Beretta in 12 gauge and it was a joy to carry but it Did Kick. Try one Rich- you’ll fall in love with it( the .410).

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Was it a Galef ?
    We are talking 40 years ago! I don't remember who made the thing since I wasn't overly impressed with it at the time.
    The picture brought back the (very faded)memory.

Boolit Master
    I have to agree, the Yildiz folder is a great little gun, all 3.3 lbs of it. Handles wonderfully and makes a cool walking around gun just as they built it. If you get one to convert to a rifle, two things to know. First, just buy two, you will still want the 410 because it is just too much fun. Second, the trigger is a shotgun trigger, not going to feel like a target gun but not overly terrible either. I built a 32swl on one of mine, I actually play with the 410 more often. CF is not legal in TN for small game, 410 is
    The Hatfield is no where near the fit and finish of the Yildiz and weighs considerably more. The Yildiz handles like a quality shotgun costing 3 times as much. Yeah, I like them, a LOT! I even shoot skeet singles with it, way lots of fun.
    Now that we are considering other than 223 based rounds, I like my NO1 in 7.62x39, light and handy. Plenty for deer and 105 gr RCBS on a bit of bullseye is just right for pine cones and such. One of my favorite woods rifles is a M25 carbine in 32-20. Not much bigger than a 22 and ground hog head accurate. A lot to be said for a Winchester M67 or Rem M33 for wandering the squirrel woods too, I really see them as a rook rifle for the colonies. Same for the M25, maybe even more so.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Get a complete martini cadet rifle and have John taylor install a liner with the twist you want. Don't worry about the sights, they should work perfectly and the sights are adjustable for windage and elevation, whole outfit would weigh about 7 pounds. Add a scope and close to 8 pounds. Decent trigger but it can be worked on.Frank

Boolit Master
    I would qualify the definition of a “walking around” rifle with what one might encounter in that walk.

Reading about the bear encounters and the dramatic rise in attacks on humans in SW Montana in a relatively small geographic area, I would say a howitzer might be the ticket. But for me here in Central Washington State, one of my light weight 223 or 204 bolt guns or Contender in the 223. The 25-20 Win carbine barrel mounted on the Contender.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by iomskp View Post
    I have a little double rifle in 300 Sherwood, I like the 300 sherwood so I had an old Brno fox 222 re barrelled to 300 sherwood great little rifle.
    That would be nice ... but I’ll have to make do with my poor mans rook rifle the 310 martini cadet.

A handirifle in 30-30 with mouse fart loads is not to bad either.

Now if the two where locked in a nice walnut cupboard with a bottle of rum for long enough.

Maybe a long pencil barrelled takedown cadet in ohhh ahhh 30 badger / Reece may appear.

rking22 has it right. The .22 rim fire is the American "rook rifle".

Boolit Master
    I picked up a Savage Axis in .223 to use as my cheap beater, the version with the skinny barrel to save on weight too. If shoots into 1-1.25"@100 yards with any factory loads I have tried, and into 3/4"@100 with a couple factory loads and my handloads. Now I do have to confess that it only does 1.5-1.75"@100 with my cast loads, but that's plenty good for almost everything I really need to do. I do mostly use it with my jacketed handloads tho.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

We have 2 walking around rifles. However, one is a T/C encore in 243, topped with a Vortex Viper 2-7x32. Weight is under 7#, and ammo or components are still very affordable. The other is an H&R handirifle, in 357mag. That is just a tad lighter, and has a newer model Weaver 4x fixed scope. Both rifles are tack drivers, and both were extremely inexpensive finds. I have more into the scope on the Encore than I do the rifle. Hope you’ve found yours.

In the RARR , how would you compair the .223 and 300 bk?

How do thy compair with things like muzzle blast , recoil and things like that. The first time I looked at one I thought it would make a handy general purpose gun to take in a RV or as a "truck gun". I was thinking the 300bk loaded with a 150 or 170 gr. would be kind of like a .357 in a 16" barrel in power. I will probably never have a suppresser. how loud is the 300 compaired to the .223 and .357?
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

Anyone ever seen one of the Midland folding shotguns in person. Looks similar to the above.
    https://www.military.com/kitup/2018/...backpacks.html

Midland the new Handy rifle now? The 12ga my m-i-l gave me came apart real easy, after each shot!!
    Whatever!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast