Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Walking Around Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    I am quite fond of the concept of the English Rook and Rabbit rifle. A lightweight, accurate rifle with enough power to kill rooks, rabbits and other vermin.
    Both those rifles were iron-sighted single shots.

I would like to get an American version, lightweight bolt action, with a cartridge based on 222/223 brass, capable of taking turkey and coyote. I will probably get either a Savage 25 or the CZ527. I don’t care if it is factory or wildcat as long as it can be formed from 223 brass.
    A bolt-action adds weight as well as making the OAL longer than a single shot. It's also not in keeping with the classic 'Woods-Walking' rifle concept which was based on a single-shot falling block action.

The English 'Rook'/'Rabbit' rifle was a light-weight affair, chambered for a small bore cartridge, and in concept the modern .223 cartridge fits that program just fine. The Rook & Rabbit rifles were dedicated for the hunting of small game, upland and forest birds, and no doubt plinking at targets of opportunity. Usually zeroed for one load and bullet-weight, they were always shot with the irons.

Single-shot candidates today which might fill the old Rook Rifle role might be one of Ruger's small-bore #1s chambered in, say, .223 or .22 Hornet (if you can still find them), or perhaps one of the new single shots from Henry Repeating Arms in a similar small-bore caliber (.223; .243). Even a single-shot .22 rimfire could be adapted to the Rook/Rabbit 'Walking Rifle' role, being easily carried over hill and dale and through glen and forest.

No doubt the Ruger #1 will be waaay spendier than a Henry single-shot in the same caliber. And it's too bad CZ doesn't offer a line of single shot rifles built along the classic lines of the old Farquarsen. I'm sure their accuracy would be much better than the Ruger #1s I've had and eventually sold off.
    Last edited by Nick Adams; 10-29-2019 at 09:28 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The single-shot "Bunny Guns" which John Taylor has made for me on the pre-WW2 H&R .44/.410 shotgun frames weigh 4 to 5 pounds, depending upon their caliber and barrel length.

My 20" barrel .32 S&W Long and .44-40 each weigh 4 pounds and are 34-1/2" overall.

Attachment 250135Attachment 250136

The .38 Special with 26-inch, skinny, tapered barrel weighs 4-1/2 pounds and is 37 inches long.

Attachment 250134

The .455 Eley/.45 ACP with full 1 inch diameter bull barrel 20 inches long weighs 5 pounds.

Attachment 250137
    Last edited by Outpost75; 10-24-2019 at 10:31 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I'm pretty much done buying rifles. I have a CZ527 American in 221 Fireball for vermin, a Howa 1500 mini in 6.5 Grendel for deer. I've got an Encore in 500 S&W with peeps that's nice and light that work on Moose if they where to invade Tennessee. There is a draw back with the Encore in that it kills on the front, and maims on the rear!

Boolit Master
    Considering the single-shot woods rifle conversions, which action is the most suitable? I had seen some conversions but they were limited to .38 Spl. Having A break-action capable of higher pressure chamberings would be the place to start, IMHO. Anyone want to comment?

. . . Encore in 500 S&W with peeps that's nice and light . . . . kills on the front, and maims on the rear!
    Indeed!! I had a Contender in the original skinny 6" octo barrel in .44 Mag. Punishing. I expect that .500 S&W would need a serious compensator to tame it.
    Last edited by yeahbub; 10-26-2019 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Most wildcats make little sense.
    All I can say is, "the heart wants what the heart wants." He wanted .22 Hornet performance with 30 round mag capacity in a tiny bolt gun, what's pictured is his solution. Cost was not really a consideration but it wasn't much. Basicially some time on a mill and the cost of the reamer. The factory Howa barrel was just set-back. There are undoubtedly different ways to achieve the same result.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamVT View Post
    I handled a 527 carbine in 7.62x39 last week and was very impressed. Very nice little rifles.
    https://www.classicfirearms.com/cz-u...c-carbine-185/
    I bought one of these last month. Very happy with it so far. I’ll be adding an NECG Ghost ring rear sight.

Here's a slightly different take on this subject.

How about a Kel Tec SU16CA?

My rifle weighs 6 lbs with the optic and two loaded 10 round magazines stored in the buttstock!

The gun is a Semi-Auto chambered in .223/5.56

I realize this is different than the OP's version of a "Walking Around Rifle," however it is also Less Expensive and way more Versatile Solution that can be used for other things including a Full on Assault if needed.

It takes AR magazines from 10- ??? rounds, it is nearly MOA accurate, has a Chrome Lined Barrel and it folds in half.

But the real selling point is that this gun is light. In stock form they weigh in at 4.7 lbs unloaded. I added the Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot, a side mounted sling and loaded the extra mags. 6.0 lbs on the nose and ready with 20 rounds + whatever you're carrying on your body. Definitely a "grab and go proposition"

The gun lays flat on my back when slung, or can be carried Cross Body for quick deployment. If you need to go incognito it can be folded in half and stuffed into most medium sized backpacks.

Don't let the plastic fool you my gun easily has 5,000+ rounds thru it. It doesn't have the AR problems with dirt either as the operating system is more like an AK.

If I had to run,,, this would be the gun I chose to go with me.

Something to think about?

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-25-2019 at 07:33 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    I'll cut to the chase....I have a CZ527 Full stock (Mannlicher) in 223rem and I absolutely love it.

Super light weight. It's my walking riflexible just likeep you are asking for. I have even made 3 loads for it I keep on hand while walking around.

A full bore load at 3000fps
    A 22 mag-is load at 2100fps
    A 22Lr type load at 1100fps

All use the Hornady 55gr spire point, and all three loads shoot MOA or better.

This rifle is my 345 days a year rifle. When it's not gun season for deer this is what I carry. I really can't say enough good things about it.

If your interested I can go into more detail.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

My rifle weighs 6 lbs with the optic and two loaded 10 round magazines stored in the buttstock!

The gun is a Semi-Auto chambered in .223/5.56

I realize this is different than the OP's version of a "Walking Around Rifle," however it is also Less Expensive and way more Versatile Solution that can be used for other things including a Full on Assault if needed.

It takes AR magazines from 10- ??? rounds, it is nearly MOA accurate, has a Chrome Lined Barrel and it folds in half.

But the real selling point is that this gun is light. In stock form they weigh in at 4.7 lbs unloaded. I added the Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot, a side mounted sling and loaded the extra mags. 6.0 lbs on the nose and ready with 20 rounds + whatever you're carrying on your body. Definitely a "grab and go proposition"

The gun lays flat on my back when slung, or can be carried Cross Body for quick deployment. If you need to go incognito it can be folded in half and stuffed into most medium sized backpacks.

Don't let the plastic fool you my gun easily has 5,000+ rounds thru it. It doesn't have the AR problems with dirt either as the operating system is more like an AK.

If I had to run,,, this would be the gun I chose to go with me.

Something to think about?

Randy
    That has a lot of things about it I like. I have been looking at one in my local LGS for some time.
    I need to find someone nearby who has one I can try out.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

...weighs 6 lbs with the optic and two loaded 10 round magazines stored in the buttstock!
    ...is a Semi-Auto chambered in .223/5.56
    ...takes AR magazines from 10- ??? rounds, it is nearly MOA accurate, has a Chrome Lined Barrel and it folds in half.
    ...is that this gun is light.
    ...It can be folded in half and stuffed into most medium sized backpacks.
    ...It doesn't have the AR problems with dirt either as the operating system is more like an AK.
    Much of the above could be said for the Kel-Tec RDB in various flavors. Light, short, ambidexterous, semi auto .223, AR-mag fed, 1:7 twist, short-stroke piston operation, $710 and equally pretty as the SU16CA.

Boolit Master
    I have a Rem. Model 7 in 223. Pretty handy, I will have to weigh it.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    I have a stainless Rossi 92 in .357 mag with a 16" bbl and a 2x BSA pistol scope on it that carries well. I can go from very light .38s to .357 with the 180 grain RD NNFP loaded to go through both shoulders of a 250# hog. I also have the same setup with a 20" bbl, but the 16" just carries better. GF

Boolit Buddy
    I have a few favorite walking rifles, to stick with the original thought of using a .223 based case it would be hard to beat a 25-45 Sharps. I built one on a Ruger 77 ultralight, load it from light 25-20 wcf to almost 250 savage speeds. Plenty of bullet options and free cases laying around everywhere, one step forming, just run them through the resizing die and you are done. I am also pretty partial to handy bolt action in 7.62x39, especially for cast bullets, I have two of the Zastva mini mausers, a ruger 77 compact along with a Ruger american ranch rifle and all of them are pretty darn handy. For the ultimate in handiness and joy to carry it is pretty hard to beat my Marlin Classic in 25-20.

Boolit Master
    My Model 7 in 223 is 7lbs 4 oz with a 2x7 Leupold.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Once you're past 7lbs, you've left 'Woods Walking gun' territory - again, in terms of the old English Rook/Rabbit rifle, a thin-barreled, iron-sighted single shot - and have crossed into carbine or short-rifle territory.

My Grandad's old 30-40 Krag sporter, a custom job from waaay back in the day, is just a tad over 7lbs. But the cartridge is hardly compatible with the concept of the Rook/Rabbit rifles of old. Those were chambered for smaller, milder calibers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Last edited by Nick Adams; 10-29-2019 at 09:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    Thank you all for your responses. While I will continue to look for an appropriate action o use for a build, I will also start looking for a Rook and Rabbit rifle for sale.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If you can find one, the Zastava M85 fits the bill nicely. Century imports them occasionally. The M85 has a really nice walnut stock and is almost entirely made of blued steel, for about the same price as a Savage/Remington/Ruger budget rifle with plastic stock.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a little double rifle in 300 Sherwood, I like the 300 sherwood so I had an old Brno fox 222 re barrelled to 300 sherwood great little rifle.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimner View Post
    I'll cut to the chase....I have a CZ527 Full stock (Mannlicher) in 223rem and I absolutely love it…

This rifle is my 345 days a year rifle. When it's not gun season for deer this is what I carry. I really can't say enough good things about it.

If your interested I can go into more detail.
    PIX!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might take a look at the TC Compass. I don't have one but when looking at them in the store, it seemed awfully light. It's got a 18.5 barrel if I remember right.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast