RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Walking Around Rifle

My walking around gun is a little different, mine is a savage 24 plastic stocked in 20 gauge under 22 magnum. Not really heavy, rather accurate, and covers a wide range of circumstances.

Boolit Master

AR15 (or rebarrel a .223 host rifle) in .277WLV if a .300BLK isn't already your choice.
    Both shoots heavy subs (preferably suppressed) & light supers mid range.
    If straightwall is required, maybe the new 360 Legend?
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Midland the new Handy rifle now? The 12ga my m-i-l gave me came apart real easy, after each shot!!
    I'm sorry to hear that. Seems no one makes a good, inexpensive single barrel shotgun anymore. Truth be told, it's the best bang for the buck type of gun a guy can own. Everybody ought to own a few.

I was very seriously considering buying one of those Midlands in 20 gauge.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that. Seems no one makes a good, inexpensive single barrel shotgun anymore. Truth be told, it's the best bang for the buck type of gun a guy can own. Everybody ought to own a few.
    I think the lack of selection is a sign of how "not much money"today compares to not much 50 and more years ago.
    when one gun that would work on quail to deer was all many could afford .

A fast twist 6mmx223

Any where from a 60 -105 grain bullet

R.

Boolit Master
    I have a Midland 18.5" 12 gauge. I shoot everything through it and keep it in the truck most of the time with a box of 00 buck and a box of 1 oz slugs. I actually really like the little thing for blasting things that look like they need to be blasted.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    My lil 1967’ Rem 600 in 243 is extremely short and lightweight. I really like my Ruger American 22 inch 22 mag as well.

The Remington 600 has a vented rib 16 inch barrel and it is lighter than a BB gun. Someday if I ever decide to use it, it will make a great walking gun for coyotes.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-08-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

A plain jane pre-63 Model 94 in 30/30.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    I always thought the ideal walking around rifle would be an IMI Timberwolf .357. Sad that they are no longer made/imported. I missed my chance 30 years ago..
    Last edited by Tim357; 12-30-2019 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    My lil 1967’ Rem 600 in 243 is extremely short and lightweight. I really like my Ruger American 22 inch 22 mag as well.

The Remington 600 has a vented rib 16 inch barrel and it is lighter than a BB gun. Someday if I ever decide to use it, it will make a great walking gun for coyotes.
    TB, don’t be shocked if that 600 outshoots your newer rifles- those stubby free floated barrels drive tacks- literally.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    TB, don’t be shocked if that 600 outshoots your newer rifles- those stubby free floated barrels drive tacks- literally.
    It shoots right with them, I can tell you that. I free floated the barrel, acraglassed the the action, installed a rifle basics trigger that uses the original safety lever. The last time I had it out it almost Clover leafed at 100 yards with the only load I’ve ever tried in it which i tailored for my other 243. It’s a 90 grain Nosler ballistic tip pushed a hair faster than book. I need to take that thing out and shoot a deer with it. From what I’ve read those 90 and 95 grain Nosler ballistic tips are the only bullet to shoot white tails with if you want to put them down where they stand. I know it slams coyotes to the ground! My buddy out in Arizona found one just like mine a couple months ago for 200 bucks at the local gun shop of all places. Apparently short guns and weird calibers no one wants all in the desert. He picked up her hundredth anniversary 336 in 35 Remington about 10 years ago for 150 bucks and sold it to me for 200 and I gladly ran away with it. Looked like brand new. I don’t think a box of shells were ever put through it. I sure would have liked to try those 105 Grain hot cores out of it that you PIF’d. I bet those were a deer hammer.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-09-2019 at 12:06 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by okietwolf View Post
    My walking around gun is a little different, mine is a savage 24 plastic stocked in 20 gauge under 22 magnum. Not really heavy, rather accurate, and covers a wide range of circumstances.
    I used to have one of those in 12 / 22 Hornet. Later I changed to 7x65R / 20 gauge,reason being deer/moose legal rifle caliber.

Combi guns can be handy.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimner View Post
    I'll cut to the chase....I have a CZ527 Full stock (Mannlicher) in 223rem and I absolutely love it.

Super light weight. It's my walking riflexible just likeep you are asking for. I have even made 3 loads for it I keep on hand while walking around.

A full bore load at 3000fps
    A 22 mag-is load at 2100fps
    A 22Lr type load at 1100fps

All use the Hornady 55gr spire point, and all three loads shoot MOA or better.

This rifle is my 345 days a year rifle. When it's not gun season for deer this is what I carry. I really can't say enough good things about it.

If your interested I can go into more detail.
    This is the same thing I want to do with my 22-250. I Want to make some lighter loads to hopefully make it quieter.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinny View Post
    My walk around gun is a Superlight 22 Hornet H&R Handi rifle. With a red dot sight it comes in just a few ounces less than 6 lbs. It's accurate enough to shoot coyotes at 200 yds.

Thanks, Dinny
    That'd be my idea, except I'd probably want a 1X4 scope for my older eyes.

I had one but some (expletive) stole it.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Buddy
    HP,
    Have you tried a red dot? I know a few older gentlemen who swear by them for their mature eyes.

Thanks, Dinny
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinny View Post
    HP,
    Have you tried a red dot? I know a few older gentlemen who swear by them for their mature eyes.

Thanks, Dinny
    Yeah, I've got a few on real short range weapons; pistols. For twilight possible shooting I lean towards the illumination help, but I'm not completely against one either. There is a better choice available since the days I tried one on a rifle.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master
    My walk about rifle is my scout rifle

My 03 with iron sights and a few catsneeze loads with one up the spout.
    I feel safe whatever I encounter.
    I also carry a few regular loads in my pocket.
    It suits me fine.

Boolit Master
    1022 ruger cut down stock mod on the barrel or my spanish 12bore o/u cant get the police to allow me to use my win trapper 357mag.im still working on that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    I treasure my 527 American in 223 and a very nice walking rifle!

For day in and out banging around on the ranch I save my beautiful CZ and have a Ruger American Compact also in 223 stand in, another fine walking rifle and half the price!

A five shot rotary flush mount magazine plus a spare feeds it.

Three44s
    Since I posted this another CZ 527 has came to me. Another American, this time in .204 Ruger!

Neither of my .223 bolt guns are fly shooters though they are coming around to it but this .204 was with it’s first owner and after I corrected some bedding issues and cleaned it’s barrel with USP bore paste, it dissects flies!

A coyotes worst nightmare!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy
    Ain't what you're looking for, but...at 5 pounds and in .32-20. This old Marlin 27s makes an elegant walking around rifle. A well-placed Lyman 311008 over 9 grains of 2400 will kill a whitetail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marlin 27-S.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	264044

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast