Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Accuracy at different ranges

Accuracy at different ranges

I don’t know if it is a mental thing and I don’t stay in it at shorter ranges but I get better groups at 100 yards than 75 and as good or better at 75 than 50. These are off of a rest with a SRH 44 topped with an Ultradot.
    Maybe I should have been the kicker for a college level team they all seem to be mental. ��
    Last edited by Iwsbull; 10-12-2019 at 06:14 PM.

Boolit Master
    Open sights? Wild guess, but I use peep sights and my accuracy depends a lot on how well the target fits the peep. The target size will look different at different yardages.
    Hick: Iron sights!

I frequently have this same "problem". I shoot only open sights, at 50 and 75 yds, and mostly from a seated, back rested position with my revolver rested over my knees. Some of my 75 yd. groups would've made me proud had they been shot at 50. I don't understand it at all.

Cimarron Model P @ 50 yds.-

Same revolver, same load @ 75/ yds.-

The groups are almost the same size.

This happens enough that I don't bother shooting at 50 yds. as much as I used to, and when I do shoot at 50, I rarely take time to record or photograph the groups, because they're frequently unimpressive compared to the 75 yd. groups.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Interesting.

Might be a matter of concentration.
    At shorter ranges, you might just sub-consciously take it for granted that being close, you'll do automatically do well,
    and tend not to concentrate as much as on a longer shot that you might perceive as being more difficult.

I've heard and read about ideas on a boolit taking 'so far' to 'stabilize' at various ranges for different ones.
    I don't know if that's true or not, but I have my doubts on how and why it would happen.
    I always thought as it left, the barrel and crown made it about as stable as it ever was going to be.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 10-13-2019 at 09:04 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    It can very well be mental. If the target is larger then the eye-brain thing may allow the gun to wander. Have you tried a smaller target at 50?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    It can very well be mental. If the target is larger then the eye-brain thing may allow the gun to wander. Have you tried a smaller target at 50?
    Aim small miss small is how i try to shoot most of the time i will turn the paper targets around and put the small stick-on dots on it
    for targets
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

That is what I was beginning to think that I needed a smaller target to focus on. At 100 yards my dot completely covers the target so as I soon as I don’t see any target I fire.

Boolit Master
    I also am careful when aiming, but, the eye-brain thing can work against you in some circumstances, like optical illusions. We use those effects with different sights, such as peep types. Varying the width of the target can 'upset' the image of the sights against the target. One reason I believe target shooters would align the sights with the bottom of the bull rather than the center.

You might try a large X as a target rather than a circular shape.

Boolit Master

A paper plate used to look like a white bottle cap to me @ 50 yards with iron sights,
    Now it looks like a deformed cotton ball.....??? Dang paper plates ain't what they used to be!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting