WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Bought a new (used) rifle that came with an enormous amount of probably useless brass

Boolit Master

Bought a new (used) rifle that came with an enormous amount of probably useless brass

I picked up a CSA 1885 in .45-70 the other day and it came with a pile of stuff. It looks like someone decided to get out of the silhouette game.

I had one of these rifles for a long time and sold it off as it had a chamber that was quite sloppy. This newer one has a chamber that is much closer to what's in my Shiloh rifles.

The interesting part is that this rifle came with over 700 pieces of brass. There are 400 pieces of Remington brass that are primed. This is a bit unfortunate as they are all crazy short. Like 2.050" long. I might be able to form them to .40-65 and get enough length. I can't imagine someone competing with brass that short. I've also got over 300 pieces of WW brass at 2.085". Still shorter than I like, but closer to useful.

The rifle looks good though. It's got a 30" half octagonal barrel with a single trigger that breaks at 2 lbs which is about perfect in a highwall for me.

It also came with a 545gr Baco Creedmoor mold ( 459545C2 ) that needs a little cleanup. It seems a bit long for a 1:18 twist, but I might give it a try.

Chris.

Cool.

That brass was cut down for a reason, presumably by someone who knew what they were doing, and had a special purpose for it.
    I wonder what it was.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Gunlaker, I have 4 45 cal bpcr rifles now 4 45 - 70s 1 45-90 all are 1-18 twist. Barrels range from green mountain badger pedersoli. I normally shoot a 547 grn silhouette bullet by Old west moulds. Bernie Rowels cut this double cavity mould for me in brass blocks. This long bullet performs very good in all the rifles out to 500 yds ) farthest range available to me here. I load true BP mostly Olde Ensforde some swiss. I cast these from 20-1 ladle cast pan lubed and shot as cast. I haven't seen a drawback to 1-18 twist yet in my rifles, though I have read od some going to 1-16.

Boolit Buddy
    The drawback to an 18 twist is that it doesn't shoot lighter bullets well at all. My 18 twist rifles start to shoot at about 475 grains bullet weight. My 20 twist 45's will shoot anything between 300 and 520 grains. Shooting black powder, the 20 twist is easier to clean, too. FWIW, the Trapdoor Springfield has a 22 twist.

Boolit Master
    Yeah I have a number of .45's, some in 1:16 and some in 1:18 and they all shoot really well at long range! This bullet is something like 1.47" long which is slightly longer than what most people I know will use for long range in a 1:18 twist. I will only use this for silhouette so maybe the length will be fine. In silhouette I've been shooting Money bullets that are a little lighter and shorter than this one.

It's a really nice little rifle, hopefully it shoots like it looks

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master

Both of my c sharps are good performers1) Hepburn in 45-90 and a high wall in 38-55, this one is a 14 twist and really shoots the 360 grn nasa great. Both have the leade right of the case mouth, no real throat to deal with.
    Put together some test loads and try it see what it does. If your really lucky you got his loading data for the rifle also so can start from there

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I would try that brass before I scrapped it. While it is a touch short of the maximum trim length, it probably wouldn't be any different than shooting 2.105 brass with a bullet that has 2 or more grease grooves exposed. The bullet is a bit long and isn't anything I'ld probably feel comfortable with in my 16 twist gun for long range, but at silhouette and midrange distances will probably shoot just fine.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    The interesting part is that this rifle came with over 700 pieces of brass. There are 400 pieces of Remington brass that are primed. This is a bit unfortunate as they are all crazy short. Like 2.050" long. I might be able to form them to .40-65 and get enough length. I can't imagine someone competing with brass that short. I've also got over 300 pieces of WW brass at 2.085". Still shorter than I like, but closer to useful.
    wonder if he was breach seating bullet then shortened case of powder?????