Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bench mounted priming tool

Boolit Buddy

bench mounted priming tool

I've seen this discussed before, but as I've gotten older I also feel the pain in my hand when using a squeeze type hand priming tool. I do have a Lyman ram prime die but have been thinking about a bench mounted priming tool.

All that to get to my question. Any recommendations for the rcbs or lee? Who else makes them and what are your thoughts on them?

Any and all comments appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by curiousgeorge; 10-12-2019 at 05:12 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the RCBS APS bench mounted priming system. Just feed the strips
    into the unit and keep priming. The only time I have to deal with loose primers is when I'm
    loading the strips, and that goes fast.
    I always liked bench mounted or press mounted priming, the hand tools
    you can spill primers all over if you make a mistake.

I had a RCBS that had the old style tube back before I thought I was done with reloading.

I really liked it, and it was sort of hypnotic to see the tube rocking back and forth as it worked.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    RCBS
    And if you have any doubts,
    RCBS
    I don’t use the strips, pretty used to loading tubes.

Boolit Buddy
    Actually I have both, just haven't had the time to mount the older primer system yet.
    Found it at a estate sale some missing parts but RCBS helped out.

That's the ole 'Mediocre-Good-Better-Best' comparison.
    Red is on the left and Green is on the right.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    The RCBS bench priming tool is probably the best available.Never used the Lee.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    RCBS
    And if you have any doubts,
    RCBS
    I don’t use the strips, pretty used to loading tubes.
    Same for me

Boolit Buddy
    curiousgeorge,

The RCBS bench priming system (tube version) is a great tool. I have used various hand priming tools and press mounted priming systems but nothing works as well as the RCBS bench mounted tool. Once you get into a rhythm you can prime cases as fast as you can put then into and take them out of the shell holder. You would think that having such a long lever would make it difficult to feel the primers being properly seated but it is actually the most sensitive priming tool I have used. When I was shooting competitive high power rifle it was all I used to prime .223 and .308 cases, usually 400-500 at a time. Another benefit is that it uses standard shell holders. RCBS has had a number of different primer tubes designs over the last 40 years and some of the tubes worked better than others. I found that the Dillon primer tubes will work with the RCBS bench mounted tool and are easier to load than most iterations of the RCBS designs.

The primer cup is screwed onto a rod/ram that fits through the hole in the shell holder and, if not kept tight, can cause primer misfeeds. I just got into the habit of checking it before each session and never had any problems. Blue Loctite would have fixed that but I was not smart enough to think of it until just now.

I have not used the Lee bench mounted tool and cannot comment.

Gus Youmans

Boolit Master
    I find the Lee primer trays quick and easy to fill the tubes are kinda slow to fill I have not used Lee's bench mount and probably never will my 30 year old rcbs bench primer will out last me ,
    I do most priming on my presses I shoot mainly handguns these days.
    If I bought now I would probably try the Lee but the RCBS is a great tool.

Boolit Master
    Back when I first started reloading I used a RCBS Ram Prime die that screwed into my RCBS Single Stage RS-3 like a regular reloading die. It came with both large & small primer shaft & cups, and it worked very well for me until I got some turret presses that had either the tube style or the arm style primer seating methods. I even have a couple of hand type ones, but I know that I will always be able to go back to using the RCBS Ram Prime if I ever run into the issues you are dealing with now.

Here is what I am talking about if you are not familiar with them:
    https://www.rcbs.com/priming/bench-mounted/16-9165.html

They are listed at about $31.00 at RCBS but a little less expensive at Grafs, Midway & other folks that sell such things around $25-28.00 if you are interested in one.

G'Luck! whatever ya decide to do!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned
    I have both the RCBS and the Lee bench to primmer.
    RCBS is a nice solid machine BUT you have to depress the handle once to load the primer then again to prime. Yes, the primer tube flops like something alive if you get in a hurry, I built a padded tower to stop that but it's twice the work.
    I bought the lee since I already have a loadmaster and a bunch of priming trays. You need to make sure the handle returns to feed the next primer but it's much faster and easier to use. With the Lee you need to get their proprietory 1/2 shell holders to go with it.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I have used the RCBS APS bench mounted priming tool for years.
    Tens if thousands of rounds primed.
    It finally started acting up this last week after all these years. I took it apart three times and couldn't find the problem.
    On my fourth attempt I noticed that the primer actuating arm retaining screw had gotten loose.
    Tightened it up and it is back to it's boring dependable self.
    Note to self...every 10-20 years, I guess I should check that retaining screw is tight.

Boolit Grand Master

I have an rcbs bench tool and like it a lot its quick and simple. I also made a bench tool with rack and pinon gear drive. It has a great feel but no primer feed. Both do a great job and run problem free. They have great feel and plenty of power. The rcbs is one of the simplest mechanic there is. a simple lever, pivot and punch.

Quote Originally Posted by 375supermag View Post
    Hi...Note to self...every 10-20 years, I guess I should check that retaining screw is tight.
    That explains it!
    Mine did that after about 3 years.
    But I never thought that it being several years old, and very well used before I got it could have been a contributing factor.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Bub
    I picked up a Forster Co Ax bench primer. Just ordered the extra parts to get it running. It is the old Bonanza brown, Before Forster bough out Bonanza. Looks pretty straight forward. Load the primers, put it in the priming tool. Then place case and push down on lever.

Just another option for you to look at.

https://www.forsterproducts.com/prod...primer-seater/

I have the RCBS bench prime with the tubes. It works very well. It’s easy on the hands and it’s reliable. I never had a problem. It works flawlessly.

Boolit Master
    RCBS, hands down...............your not going to beat their warranty or customer service. I have the one that uses tubes.

Winelover

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cat-mechanic View Post
    I picked up a Forster Co Ax bench primer. Just ordered the extra parts to get it running. It is the old Bonanza brown, Before Forster bough out Bonanza. Looks pretty straight forward. Load the primers, put it in the priming tool. Then place case and push down on lever.

Just another option for you to look at.

https://www.forsterproducts.com/prod...primer-seater/
    Forster has a distressing habit of turning primers sideways if you try for any speed. Slow and steady they are OK. The RCBS is hands down the best for reliability, speed, easy operation.

For small, deliberate jobs I prefer the old Lachmiller. It's not fast, just one primer hand fed at a time which is OK with me for some rifle calibers.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you want to look around, both SAECO & the late, lamented Herter’s made bench priming tools of cast iron, so heavy they didn’t even need to be bolted down. My Herter’s unit is designed for some type of primer feed, but that portion is missing so I single feed primers manually... no fuss and no flopping tubes or trays. Just another possibility for you to consider.

For the record, I have a RCBS unit that uses the primer strips... it was a gift and it’s never been out of the box since I got it. To be fair, the Herter’s unit doesn’t see a lot of use either, though. I prefer various single feed hand tools like the old Lee and Lyman units and my special fave, the Simmons copy of the “Pope style” tool.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast