WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pewter find

pewter find

got 34.8 pounds at estate sale.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAA pewter find.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	249592 all for 47 dollars.

Boolit Master
    Congrats! That is quite a haul!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Nice !
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Buddy
    Excellent score!!

Boolit Master

Wow ! I thought I did well with 7 pounds of dented, beat up pewter from an antique/junk shop.

Boolit Buddy
    That’s a great price per pound!

JM

Boolit Master
    oh man a great find and price. I just have not found much of it in my area

Boolit Master
    Most suck-worthy!

[QUOTE=JimB..;4743679]Most suck-worthy![/QUOTE
    Thanks everyone I didn't mean to brag but had to. JimB LMAO

Boolit Master
    Apologies, I’d forgotten that the congratulatory “you suck” tradition is with the galoots and not with the casters.

Boolit Master
    That's a great score and price.

Boolit Master
    Wow, very well done.

I just hit an estate sale today where the agent wouldn't budge from $20 for five pewter mugs weighing maybe 3 1/2 # and a couple mini muffin tins. No sale. Ah, well. Other times I've done much better, but I don't think I've ever matched your score on either quantity or price per pound.

Boolit Master

Wow! Just, WOW!!!!!
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master

You got the right to brag. That was a heck of a score!

I missed 2 estate sales here just recently that I wanted to attend. They were both for well off people and I heard that things went pretty high. Good for the families but not so good for a poor bargain hunter!

Great Score!
    I have had people refuse to budge on pewter or other prices at an estates sale. Have had it suggested that if I come back at the end of the sale then maybe. No interest in second trip. Did mention if I came back I would pay even less at the end of the sale.

One time the pewter was going on the high side of retail, there was a heavy solid bowl that was ok at the asking price everything else was too light for the money. Except for a huge, heavy "Zinn" platter for $5 it seems the sellers didn't realize Zinn is German/Dutch for tin aka Pewter so it was priced as a plain metal platter.

I have found thin pickings at garage sales this year, may need to hit more estate sales. One score like the OP would make that time well spent.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    The nicer the neighborhood, the greater the chance of finding pewter at an estate sale, but also the higher the price.

I try to hit estate sales that I find in on line sites with pictures showing stuff that I actually want, like tools, libraries full of books and/or pewter. I always go towards the end of the last day of the sale. Stuff is often half price and often the agents are willing to dicker further. True that an item I'm interested in might get sold before I get there, but it probably went at a price I wouldn't have paid (I'm a cheap son of a gun). It just didn't happen this last time.

I would add the trick is the same as at auctions. Have to know the market value of the item to avoid self inflected wound. Or cost of a comparable but maybe lesser item.

Saw a nice propane fryer early this summer. High end model. Price was around $75 as I recall. New they go for a pretty high price BUT since I could buy a typical garage sale fryer for $10 or a new one that was decent for less than the $75 it just didn't make sense. Yes $75 could even have been a fair price just not a good value unless I personally wanted to buy a really high end burner for lead.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    I've never tried auctions. I usually am in and out of most thrifts and estate sales quickly (unless there are a lot of interesting books). Wouldn't an in-person auction require time to review lots, waiting for the ones you're interested in to come up and then finally bidding? I'm not sure I'd be patient enough to wait so long, especially for something I might get outbid on. On line, I'd worry that the site's premium and the shipping would make the final bid only part of the final cost.

I guess I'm just too cheap...

Boolit Master

That's the problem I have at auctions. The things I want are invariably up at the end of the sale. I end up waiting around for 5 hours, only to find the item(s) hammer at twice what I am willing to pay.

I don't go to auctions much anymore. I just haven't the time to waste.

Boolit Master
    Estate sell auctioneers usually have a bunch of leftover pewter, silver plate, aluminum, etc. ware at their warehouse and are glad to get rid of it. Hit them up at the end of a sell when they have to box it up and make an offer. You may find the mother load at their warehouse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast