Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Name brand wads

Boolit Buddy

Name brand wads

I shoot a fair amount of slugs and trap shoot twice a week (100 shells each day). I don't seem to have much problem keeping the barrel clean, but have read that generic wads (Claybuster, etc.) cause more plastic fouling than the name brands (to include Windjammer and others). Anyone else run into this? Also, what do you use to remove the plastic buildup (I use brake cleaner and a brush). Thanks for all the info.

Banned
    Greetings GunAuthor, I too strongly believe in using only name brand wads and before you venture out just wrap a piece of soft cloth around your brush and spray it with WD-40 and run it through and go have fun, when you get back repeat it with the same rag and brush ! !
    You are doing great ! !

Regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Boolit Grand Master
    I only reload for trap and bird hunting. I have shot thousands of wads without cleaning the barrel(s). I only purchase, Downrange, Winchester, Remington and Spolar wads. They are such a small cost component that saving a few dollars on "economy" wads makes little sense to me.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I use Claybuster almost exclusively. I haven't seen a significant build up of plastic as compared to other "brand name" wads.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Moderator Emeritus

During our trap shooting competitions, etc. I only used manufacturers brand. I also used brake cleaner.

My Browning XT fouls the ports badly no matter what wads are being shot thru it. Ranch Dog came up with some stuff off Amazon that removes it quickly with little effort.

Prior to using this stuff which is pretty much spray in, let sit, and push a swab thru,,, It took me hours to get it clean using a Bronze Brush on a Drill Motor plus it was a mess. The ports in these guns act like a Cheese Grater when they are new and it takes alot of shots before they stop cutting slivers off the plastic wads.

It's called "Shooters Choice Choke Tube and Barrel Cleaner." and it works great.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Claybusters deposited a bunch of plastic in the bores of my shotguns. Acetone takes care of it. Watch that bluing.

Boolit Master

Blue Wonder gun cleaner.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014642997?pid=444070

It will clean a shotgun barrel!!!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Slugs is a whole different animal. If you are shooting such that you can reload and make the minuscule price benefit over factory ammo worth it, I would be using cheaper wads. Claybusters are just about half price of Winchester wads. I would live with any minor plastic fouling at that price. Same with shot. I would be using the cheapest reclaimed junk I could get my hands on.

That's just me. With current shot prices, 1 1/8 oz, a box with Winchester wads would cost about $6.15. Cost with Claybuster, about $5.65. That's counting the price of the hull as ZERO. I personally go to Fleet farm and buy Federal Top Gun for $6.00 a box.

Boolit Master
    I've shot countless thousands of Claybuster wads without a problem. Probably into a couple hundred thousand by now. I haven't noticed any difference between them and the "brand name" wads. Not any difference in score either.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I've shot countless thousands of Claybuster wads without a problem. Probably into a couple hundred thousand by now. I haven't noticed any difference between them and the "brand name" wads. Not any difference in score either.
    Same here. Been shooting "Off brand" wads for 30 years now and have never seen any plastic fouling. I shoot 6-8 rds. of skeet/week 52 weeks a year. And don't think that's easy come Dec/Jan/Feb/March in northern Wisconsin.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master
    I shoot knockoffs mostly in the 12’s , 16’s , 20’s , 28’s and 410’s . I however only use Remington wads in the 10 gauge . As to plastic build up in the forcing cones , if and when that happens I use plain old break cleaner and a copper brush . And usually the problems solved PDQ .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    I shoot knockoffs mostly in the 12’s , 16’s , 20’s , 28’s and 410’s . I however only use Remington wads in the 10 gauge . As to plastic build up in the forcing cones , if and when that happens I use plain old break cleaner and a copper brush . And usually the problems solved PDQ .
    That's not fair, Remington is the only commonly available lead shot 10 gauge wad. It would be great if Claybuster came out with a tall wad for a 3 1/2" hull for 1 1/2 or 1 5/8 oz lead. I currently use Remingtons, but need about 3/4" of spacers to take up the room.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    That's not fair, Remington is the only commonly available lead shot 10 gauge wad. It would be great if Claybuster came out with a tall wad for a 3 1/2" hull for 1 1/2 or 1 5/8 oz lead. I currently use Remingtons, but need about 3/4" of spacers to take up the room.
    At present I do not load 3 1/2" 10 gauge all mine are 2 7/8" .

Boolit Grand Master

I'd like to, but my Ithaca mag 10 will only cycle 3 1/2"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I'd like to, but my Ithaca mag 10 will only cycle 3 1/2"
    I have an Ithaca NID Grade 2 Super 10 that’s 2 7/8” and constantly have my eyes open for an Ithaca NID Magnum 10 that would be 3 1/2” but so far no luck . I “had” Ithaca MAG-10 Field Grade and a DeLuxe Grade as well as a Remington SP-10 but none of the three are in my accumulation any longer .

Boolit Grand Master

You and me both. Those Ithaca 3 1/2" sxs's are every bit as expensive as a Fox A or LC premium.

After trying a Marlin super goose, H&R, BPS pump, and finally the mag 10, The mag 10 is the only one that stayed. The Marlin was unreliable garbage. The H&R was just plain too light, I was never thrilled with the BPS, but the mag 10 is phenominal. The SP-10 is equally good. My mag 10 is the deluxe.

I've been shooting claybuster wads for 20+years. I don't see a reason to shoot name brand wads unless you want to brag about how much money you force out the end of the barrel. As far as plastic build up Ben's red cleans all fouling great as is has acetone in the mix. The best part of Ben's red you can customize the mix a bit. I just add a bit more acetone. I found going to a cleaner burning powder make less fouling overall.
    Buzzards got to eat, same as the worms.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I’ve shot and reloaded every brand of shotgun wad known to exist in the USA!! Never saw a difference in them except for the cost. As for plastic fouling? Not to be ugly here, but clean your weapon,sir, I’ve owned ported guns and choke tubes forever, they get fouled, you remove it. NSB, I’m at about the same amount of shot shells fired, I’m with you as to your comment!! Also, lengthening the forcing cone is the best modification to do to your barrel. Better patterns, that’s what I saw in my guns I did that mod to. Just my .02.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!