RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New $109 .22LR Bolt Action Threaded BBL

New $109 .22LR Bolt Action Threaded BBL

I've been wanting a threaded bbl .22lr with a wood stock and iron sights for awhile. Most of the rifles I can afford have synthetic stocks and many of the threaded bbl rifles have no sights. I saw one of these little Armscor/RIA (Rock Island Armory) M14Y (youth) rifles at Atwoods for $150 and started researching them. Turns out they have great reviews online.

I bought mine from Centerfire Guns and had it shipped to my local FFL. Cost was $109 and I added insurance for $3, free shipping, no tax, and my FFL guy charges me $20 transfer fee and no tax on that. Total OTD was $132. https://www.centerfireguns.com/armsc...rfl-51013.html

As the pics show it is boxed well. The rifle, magazine, and bolt were in heat sealed plastic bags and the rifle was covered in cosmoline. Bore was dirty I'm assuming from test firing. I cleaned the bore and rifle, oiled the bolt with M Pro 7 and started sighting in.

Sights are a metal blade rear with elevator and hooded bead front. The bead is too big for my tastes and covers ~3" of target at 25yds. Nice target crown and thread protector on the muzzle, 1/2-28 threads on the bbl. Trigger pull was ~5lbs and crisp with no take up.

For groups I was at my benchrest. It is dark and stormy here today and my target area was very dim. Keep in mind I have 50 y/o astigmatic eyes and the front sight covers ~3" of target. I never felt like I got a precise bead on the bullseye so I am astounded at the groups I shot with this thing. Took ~20 shots to dial it in and then punching the bullseye with ease, ringing my steel swinging 4" targets offhand with every shot at 25yds.

The target with the tape on it has (2) 3 shot groups on the right as I was drifting the sights to the left/sighting in. Ammo was .22LR AE Suppressor 45gr and 40gr CCI Std Velocity.

I wasn't sure about the youth length stock but it handles, shoulders, and cheekwelds fine for me--I'm 5'8", 165lbs with LONG arms. Suppressor threaded on great. It is a HTA Chameleon TI. Shots with it sounded like my pump up Crossman .177 air rifle. Bullets hitting the target were louder than the shot.

Overall I am extremely pleased with this rifle. It is an amazing deal. It can be extremely accurate with a scope and ammo tuning. Here's and extensive review from a guy showing this rifle's potential. https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=12918662

I've been plinking steel with it all afternoon and it's a blast. Single loads great with the mag in. CCI quiet .22 without the suppressor is pretty quiet w/o plugs in--the bullet hitting steel is louder than the shot. OAL is 34.5" and balance is right in front of the mag so it is a perfect woods walker at 5lbs. A little shorter than my 10/22 with 16.5" barrel.

Last edited by HATCH; 10-27-2019 at 01:32 PM. Reason: fixed rifle link
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Banned

I was looking at one of these in a LGS the other day, they look like a good, robust little rifle. I think Arsmcor is the same operation that used to be called Squires Bingham and made .22 rifles and shotgun for imports for years.

Atwoods sells guns? Haven't lived around an Atwoods for a long time, but didn't remember them selling guns.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I was looking at one of these in a LGS the other day, they look like a good, robust little rifle. I think Arsmcor is the same operation that used to be called Squires Bingham and made .22 rifles and shotgun for imports for years.

Atwoods sells guns? Haven't lived around an Atwoods for a long time, but didn't remember them selling guns.
    It is built pretty heavily for its size. It is only 5lbs but the only plastic on it is the trigger guard and it's pretty thick.

Atwoods added guns a few years ago. They didn't start out with them in the stores here. I went in one day and was surprised to see a gun counter.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one for my son. Great little rifle for the money. I got mine on sale 6 months ago for $99

Quote Originally Posted by BigBore45 View Post
    I bought one for my son. Great little rifle for the money. I got mine on sale 6 months ago for $99
    That was a great deal. where did you get yours?

I've been hunting a bolt action suppressor host for awhile with wood stock and iron sights. To find one for <$200 made me extremely happy. Only complaint I have about it is the big front sight bead. I'm gonna replace it with a fiber optic sight.

My inlaws were over yesterday and I was shooting this rifle with the suppressor on it. My 68 y/o MIL picked it up and started plinking away at steel swinging plates at 25yds, hit my 4" plates with every shot standing offhand.

She probably doesn't shoot but about once every year if that. Pretty easy shooting and accurate little cheap rifle.

I saw one of these at a outdoor sports trade day affair Sat. Never new they existed. NIB a dealer had them $159
    not interested. At $100 out the door I would be. I sold some Squires Bingham 22 autos under Outdoor Sports Dist, house brand. They were pretty decent rifles for the money.

I looked at a used one yesterday and they were asking $130 so I passed. I'm 6'2" and I could make do with that little thing. It looked like quality made.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Are they groved for scope mounts?

Quote Originally Posted by badwolf View Post
    Are they groved for scope mounts?
    Yes. I wanted to keep mine light and handy so I've left it open sighted for now. My groups aren't reflective of this rifle's accuracy potential. In that link above(1911 forum) the guy was shooting .14" groups with it using match ammo with a scope mounted.

Boolit Buddy
    Got mine very nice rifle , very accurate. I should have got 2 cause my grandson will be claiming this one!

Boolit Grand Master

Sweet looking shooter you have there

What is the trigger like? That is usually the killer for me on inexpensive rifles. Couldn't get my stock 10/22 to shoot for beans until I switched to a Kidd trigger. Night and day.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    What is the trigger like? That is usually the killer for me on inexpensive rifles. Couldn't get my stock 10/22 to shoot for beans until I switched to a Kidd trigger. Night and day.
    It's crisp with very little take up or overtravel but ~5lbs. Not gritty. In the link in my first post the poster got his down to a couple lbs fairly easily. TBH, it doesn't bother me at all and I'll just let it wear in before messing with it.

I will add that it is like a match trigger compared to my buddy's new Ruger MkIV.

Boolit Master

Nice little plinker. I can see one in my future.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    Nice little plinker. I can see one in my future.
    Thank you sir. Really is the best deal on a gun I've seen in awhile. I feel like this is a hidden gem. Pick one up and you realize it's a solid piece.

Boolit Master

You're welcome. Im very happy with my RIA 1911's. Im after a 10/22 now. Waiting for the Christmas sales. After that going to order the little rock 22.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Nice.

Everyone should have a compact,accurate,suppressed bolt action 22LR rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Nice.

Heck yeah. No reason to bother with one of those super loud air rifles with one of these on hand. .
    Last edited by steve urquell; 11-16-2019 at 08:05 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Nice.

Well that's all the motivation I need to buy a new gun; I'm shopping now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast