RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Lee Locknuts

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.

New Lee Locknuts

These look interesting. I guess someone listened to me about making some that use a spanner. My idea was to put two holes through them and use a socket with two pins in it to tighten them.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Grand Master
    They look good.
    But I have so many of the old style.I'll probably not try them.

Boolit Master
    Sure look great to GONRA! Will get some on next MIDWAY order.

Boolit Master
    Gag.

Those of who understand why Lee's lock rings have always been made the way they were - and used them correctly - won't be making tracks to buy the new ones so I don't care one way or the other. (Anyone using a wrench of any kind to jack down hard on a lock ring is doing it wrong, a hand tight die is plenty tight.)

Boolit Master
    I guess then all other manufactures are doing it wrong, since they have lock nuts with some type of locking mechanism. As a rule, I don't purchase many Lee products. The few specificity dies that I have of their's, have the old style lock nuts. I have notice them slightly moving, when I switch dies. Finally, Lee has seen the light. BTW, I've been reloading for near on 50 years.

Winelover

Boolit Bub
    What problem does this solve?

While I use a wrench to tighten mine down, I only go as far as it takes to compress the rubber o-ring. I've never had a die come loose or lose it's adjustment.

Having a proprietary nut and wrench combo is just asking for the little wrench to be lost and being worse off than you were with the old style.

Chris

Looks good, but I'd need to spend at least $88 to equip my dies. Pass.

I’d just get the small Dillon ones and use a boxed end wrench I already have lots of vs some special tool to keep up with.

Boolit Grand Master

Im betting that exterior pattern matches the détente on their press also that holds locates the bushing and or bayonet lock in place. O like it and think it is an improvement. I seldom use a wrench to tighten but have need one after a long session to loosen a die that sucked in tighter.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    What problem does this solve?

While I use a wrench to tighten mine down, I only go as far as it takes to compress the rubber o-ring. I've never had a die come loose or lose it's adjustment.

Having a proprietary nut and wrench combo is just asking for the little wrench to be lost and being worse off than you were with the old style.

Chris
    It appears to be a solution to a problem that does not exist.

Boolit Master
    I like it! Especially for a 5 or 6 die turret where there is no room for a little 'mechanical advantage".
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master
    I have been reloading since 1964, slowly I have put the Lee O-ring lock rings on all the dies I use. I use the the Lee Turrets and screw my dies into the turret one time. Spinning dies was/is always annoying using a single die press.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Gag.

Those of who understand why Lee's lock rings have always been made the way they were - and used them correctly - won't be making tracks to buy the new ones so I don't care one way or the other. (Anyone using a wrench of any kind to jack down hard on a lock ring is doing it wrong, a hand tight die is plenty tight.)
    I couldn't agree more. I have been saying for years (I first found reloading forums in 2007), "lock rings for keeping dies in a press need only be finger tight and the Lee O-Ring lock nuts work". Maybe I'm brighter than many (nah!) but as a lifelong machinist/mechanic I can see how nuts/bolts, locking or plain work (working for a large city as a heavy equipment mechanic/electrician we had quite a bit of vendor training and IIRC we had a full week "training" on threads, nuts and bolts, tolerances and the interaction between male threads and female threads.). Lee lock nuts work, if one knows how to use them...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Agree! A solution in search of a problem.

Boolit Master
    I replaced the lock rings on the few sets of Lee dies I own with RCBS lock rings.They work better for me and hold adjustment when changing dies.

Boolit Master

The new lock rings do indeed look interesting.

I've used the Lee rings for many years, the type with the rubber o-ring. I have often wanted to get them just a bit tighter than I could with fingertips in the small area of a turret press. I like the idea of the little wrench.

The question I have is this: if the rubber o-ring design works, why have a split ring with a bolt to tighten it also?

The split ring design is a hassle, because many times the lock bolt is inaccessible.

I would have preferred the spline drive outer diameter, with the o-ring of the original, without the split ring design.

However, Lee Precision doesn't listen to me.

Boolit Master

Might want to consider they're intended for the breech lock bushings.
    You twist the die body back and forth to insert/remove the die/bushing pair from the press.

Finger tight will allow the die to rotate inside the bushing and throw off the adjustment.

Screw in press or turret, finger tight is coolio.
    Quick change bushings, need to lock the die down.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    I have been reloading since 1964, slowly I have put the Lee O-ring lock rings on all the dies I use. I use the the Lee Turrets and screw my dies into the turret one time. Spinning dies was/is always annoying using a single die press.
    I normally do same, however, when loading 45 colt I sometimes switch between bullets. I invariably have to adjust things a bit when I do. I almost always have to fine a small pair of channel lock pliers to loosen the finger tight O ring die.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master
    The whole point of the Lee lockrings is to be hand tight ,put Lee lockrings on all my dies much simpler to use.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast