Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Highly Expensive, non-toxic idea

Boolit Master
    Lead, tin, antimony are to easy for me to work with and cheap. I can make most of my cast boolits for less than 1 cent each. I'm not about to pay $1/$2 each for practice/target bullets. Also, I'm doing good to recover one out of ten bullets shot into animals. Anyway have fun, I am not interested as those prices are way over my pay grade.

Unfortunately manufacturing isn’t just making things for commercial distribution. If that was the case we’d all be making our own SBR’s, Suppressors, and Machine guns. Strictly for personal use of course.

The ATF looks at manufacturing as assembly of the components. They some times go beyond just the assembly and will say “You had the intent and the ability.” even if you don’t put things together. That is why it’s a big legal no-no to have a AR-15 receiver with a third hole and all of the rest of the parts to make it a functional automatic.

In the case of AP rounds there isn’t as much precedence. However, they could still nail you for putting one together. Even if it’s for your own personal use.

Will they? I mean, the odds of an ATF agent being at the shooting range and picking up one of your rounds and asking how it was constructed.....Pretty slim to none...

Check out my website www.theballisticassistant.com

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TheJournier View Post
    More than likely they were FMJ so that has some impact vs hollow points

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4624950/

it still affects blood lead levels.

https://www.rarediseasesjournal.com/...se-report.html

Some people have gotten sick over it. Sure variance in how lead gets metabolized and sometimes it is masked by other mild symptoms (it contributes to a lot motor impairments and heart problems) etc.
    Today Doctors don't remove bullets unless their presence affects other things, like nerve or bleeding problems. Hopalong Cassidy always said "we gotta get that bullet out", but real doctors just leave them where they are, even plain lead bullets...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Mold
    ^ actually docs take their time with removing bullets. But a lot of times, if it doesn't pose an too much risk, they do take the bullet out. Medicine has changed a bit. Generally if the bullet is hard to access or the patient is recovering from something from something more life threatening. I.e. some sort of emergency repair. They leave it. But sometimes the bullet cause problems later on, I linked you something where someone did get lead poisoning from a gun shot. It does happen just not often (hence the whole "rare disease journal").

~ the key here is whether removing the fragments create undue risk. Risky surgery should be avoided when possible.

@Valornor

Ok so I did a fair bit of research. The one think that struck me was the use of the word "Core" (which has a differing definition, legally this bullet would be a Bismuth/Tungsten core that is clearly not designed for armor penetration but instead for improving kinetic delivery from a smaller bullet). Smaller bullets are generally better to shoot (it's just the fact that lightness means it can more easily effected by wind), a way to fix this is to make the bullet denser. Denser bullets have less surface area and are less effected by the wind.

-- >>> To compare M855 would be illegal if it weren't for a very specific wording.
    a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or
    This states that the bullet must be entirely made of the controlled materials, that is tungsten, brass, and what not. What I'm proposing would be 80% by weight (more so by volume) bismuth (legal), and 20% tungsten (illegal). Much like the M855 is made of steel (illegal), and lead (legal).
    for clarity I'm calling this an unjacketed Bismuth alloy/tungsten composite bullet.

- it is my belief that it is here I would have strong precedent in fighting the ATF if they decided to arrest or whatever over this (I would win, as they would have to prove intent to disobey the law). Or, I would at least get told to stop, which I would happily comply (as I don't have the resources to lobby for this).

however I strongly suspect that this will be swept under the water as I don't intend to sell these bullets these are for my personal use. I likely will have more lead bullets than I have these on hand (as these are more of a specialty round). This wouldn't really catch attention.

Anyhow I really appreciate your incite is good to take second look at laws, that's for sure.

I also updated the original posts a bit.
    Last edited by TheJournier; 10-15-2019 at 04:00 PM.

Boolit Master
    No one has mentioned "frangible bullets" in the posts so far. I looked...

It solves the issue of no lead toxicity, and has shown to be able to kill up to Elk sized animals,( even a zebra from what I understand) and the cost is not too bad as compared with some of the other proposals in this topic.

If someone lives in an area that does not allow lead to be used in ammo, then frangible bullets might be an option for them.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234