Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: T/C Hawken nipple size question

T/C Hawken nipple size question

My uncle has a T/C Hawken that the nipple threads are stripped. Is there a slightly bigger nipple thread size that I could drill and tap it for? Its a 1/4-28 now. Thanks
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master
    Check Track of the Wolf.
    They list them by thread sizes.
    To go larger , you may want to tap it for a Metric thread just to be taking out minimal material if needed
    They also make Oversized threaded nipples if you thread is not totally gone
    Last edited by LAGS; 10-11-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Ok. Thanks. I've not seen the condition of the threads yet. The threads may not be stripped completely out. I thought about drilling and tapping for an insert but, don't know how much metal is around the hole.

Boolit Master
    If it is 1/4-28 Helicoil is an easy option.

Boolit Master
    When you get the rifle, Run a 14/28 bottoming tap into the hole.
    If you don't have a Bottom Tap , then just grind off some of the end of a regular Tapered Starter Tap.

That will guarantee you are into the Full thread area of the Tap because of the restricted depth of the breech plug hole.
    Then you can decide if the oversized threaded Nipple will work.
    But I bet it will.
    I have rarely seen a TC with the threads completely gone , or totally screwed up.

I've got helicoils which we call threaded inserts. If I can't run a bottoming tap and fix it, I'll try the insert. Hopefully theres enough meat there.

Boolit Master
    A friend brought me a rifle one time and get said the nipple hole was stripped because the nipple wouldn't tighten.
    The threads on the nipple were fine.
    But when I checked things out , he had just put the wrong threaded Nipple in the rifle.
    He had somehow got a Metric nipple from one of his other rifles mixed in with his standard thread nipples.
    I cleaned out the nipple hole with the right tap , then put in the correct nipple.

That might be something for you to check also.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    A friend brought me a rifle one time and get said the nipple hole was stripped because the nipple wouldn't tighten.
    The threads on the nipple were fine.
    But when I checked things out , he had just put the wrong threaded Nipple in the rifle.
    He had somehow got a Metric nipple from one of his other rifles mixed in with his standard thread nipples.
    I cleaned out the nipple hole with the right tap , then put in the correct nipple.

That might be something for you to check also.
    Lags might have it ---you woiuld do well to check that out - there is a no 12x28 unf thread that is very difficult to pick from a 1/4 x 28 ---plenty of nipples out there are no12 x28 and that is a loose fit in a 1/4 x 28 --we had that same problem with a Walker colt my son bought second hand - prior owner had put a new set of 12x28 nipples in - the cinched up tight when they bottomed out but the threads were loose enough to show some powder erosion all the way ---not an ideal situation !!! a set of 1/4 x 28 cured the problem.

Boolit Master
    It seems that if you have the 1/4-28 thread hole in the snail then cleaning it with a tap is the best option as noted. The nipples listed as 12-28 were used in a lot of early Italian cap and ball revolvers and I have 3 that use those nipples. They will slide right in a 1/4-28 but can even blow out! If the threads in the snail are damaged I would not try a thread insert since there is not a lot of metal to have the threads grab. A better solution would be to replace the hooked breech plug with it's included snail and then all is brand new. They are available from T/C, or used to be.
    John

Ok, like I said I've not seen the rifle yet, and haven't checked anything, But, I was concerned that if I had to insert it, that there was enough metal around the hole. I may just try and find the hooked breech plug. Thanks.