Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: jErfurt Luger, new to me...

Boolit Man

jErfurt Luger, new to me...

Hey Folks, after 50+ years of collecting pieces (and shooting them) I have finally purchased an Erfurt Luger matching numbered piece from a guy that i would trust with my life. I can't wait to get it but I am sure it will be 10 days before that little thing finds it's way into my hands. My question is the ammo. This is not NOT a museum piece but a very nice example of the 1918 4" Erfurts. I will be shooting this piece. I have read that HOT ammo is not recommended as it can be abusive to the toggle action on the 100+ year old gun. Any of you have a favorite plinking load. Maybe 3.2 of BE with a 115gr bullet? I just don't want to shoot any Rhino rollers through this piece of history, but I have had the hots for 1 since i was about 7-8 years old.
    Thanks guys/Gals!

Boolit Grand Master
    My 1938 Mauser does not like powder puff loads. If I want it to go bang every time and chamber and feed each time, I have to run warmish loads. I don't use Bullseye but I suppose I could. YMMV, but I would load up a ladder, 10 cartridges each step, starting at 3.5 grains of BE, and increasing .2 grains at a time until I got good function or ran out of room by exceeding the Max load listed in my manual for my 115 grain projectile (~4.8-4.9, depending on the manual.) I use 5.6 grains of Power Pistol with a Lyman 356-242 120~ish grain RN boolit. I have an NOE mold for a 124 (?) grain TC but I have never tried it in the Luger--too many molds and guns, too little time.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 10-11-2019 at 02:46 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't have a P-08 but my P-38's all time pet load is :

Lee 358-105-SWC , sized .357 (lithium-beeswax), 4.7 grs. Unique .
    The light boolit and midrange powder charge give 100% reliability & shoot accurately to the P-38's sights ( the sights can be moved but not easily) . This load doesn't batter the old war horse.

The following loads are it's favorites with the NOE 357 - 124 - Truncated Cone - Gas Check
    sized .357 , lithium-beeswax lubricant . The 124 TC was the original bullet shape and weight design for the P-08 . My P-38 feeds the TC like a champ and the NOE mould is a 4 cavity I can cast more than the 2 cavity Lee . The gas check helps with seating and no leading at higher velocities.
    The following loads also work well with the plain base Lee 356 - 120 - TC boolit .

3.8 grs. 700X
    3.9 grs. Bullseye
    4.6 grs. Red Dot
    4.7 grs. Unique
    5.5 grs. Accurate Arms #5

All of the above loads are right at or slightly above 1000 - 1100 feet per second .
    This seems to be what it takes in my P-38 to get reliable functioning .
    Going lighter just encouraged stoppages...usually a failure to completely chamber a round.
    I'm sure the P-08 like the P-38 doesn't like light loads...they are just not designed for that.
    Starting too low just wastes time and components .

From my experience with 115 gr TC boolits and Bullseye I didn't get reliable functioning with my starting load of 3.5 grs. Bullseye . I had to bump it all the way up to 4.0 grs. Bullseye to almost get 100% functioning then settled on 4.2 grs Bullseye / 115 gr. Lyman #358345 sized .357.
    Most manuals give 5.0 grs as a max load so 4.2 is mid range .

Hope some of this helps...be warned , reloading cast boolits in 9mm will test your soul!
    Good Luck,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

All the conventional wisdom is pretty much mentioned in the above posts as concerns Luger loads. Some are happy with normal level loads, and some like 'em hot. But not +P level hot. 124 gr. will often work better than 115 gr., as the 124 gr. was an early loading. On the rare occasions anymore when I take mine out and shoot them I usually use either CCI Blazer or GECO 124 gr. FMJ ammo, and never experience a jam. They're all at least senior citizens of advanced age, and you may wish to replace the springs.

Attachment 249582

Click to enlarge.

DG

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the input folks!! At'sa nice pair too DG! I don't think mine is gonna be quite that shiny.....