MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first time casting, went through several pounds of lead. These are my results! :-)

Boolit Master
    Welcome!

Fortune Cookie's videos were worth reviewing for me when I was getting started. Other resources with much of that information and more can be found here and on the LASC site. Voracious reading on these sites plus YouTube videos like FC45LC's helped me avoid a lot of rookie mistakes.

Read and view widely. Know your sources. Be aware that there are still controversies and conflicting opinions in the casting world. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
    Your bullets look very shiny.
    What alloy mix are you using?
    Wheel weight ingots with a little added tin. I don't have a hardness tester but they aren't too hard. Honestly, I've been grabbing lead whenever I could and did not keep track of the exact alloy.

Ahh..you are a quick study, Grasshopper. You will do well in the world of the silver stream. There are many here who gladly share the craft secrets and nuances. Does the son like to help shoot up those boolits? What great fun it is to have a young shooter/caster to teach the safe practices to.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Ahh..you are a quick study, Grasshopper. You will do well in the world of the silver stream. There are many here who gladly share the craft secrets and nuances. Does the son like to help shoot up those boolits? What great fun it is to have a young shooter/caster to teach the safe practices to.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Liam July 12 2019 Tucson Mountain Park Range 1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	249772

Here he is practicing using the iron sights rather than the scope (see-through rings). This was during the Spring so he was still 9 then.

Good job Dad. He will be the one who knows what to do when the rifle takes a tumble and breaks the scope. The iron sights will save the hunt. I started my son when he wad about the age of 8 1/2 and have a shooting/hunting partner for life.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Nice looking boolits, SirNomad! And the guys are not joking when they say you ain't saving money! You are per round, but now you'll just shoot more, and that's always a great thing! Enjoy, and remember, casting is a disease most don't want to cure
    if it doesn't fit, don't force it. Get a BIGGER HAMMER!

Boolit Buddy
    Nice job!

AND.....you don't have to be at the mercy of politics or manufacturer's shortages or discontinuances! Good feeling, this independence is.

No fins, no wrinkles, good sprue cut, just a few rounded bases! Good job.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    AND.....you don't have to be at the mercy of politics or manufacturer's shortages or discontinuances! Good feeling, this independence is.
    Amen to that, brother.

Banned
    There is a great sense of satisfaction gained from casting, coating/lubing, loading and getting good results shooting.

The awesome thing about casting and reloading your own boolits is that you will shoot more and better.
    WWG1WGA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12