Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Use For Hoppes #9

Boolit Grand Master

Smile New Use For Hoppes #9

My wife was cleaning out the front flower bed and got into some poison oak. Has it on both arms with the itching pretty bad. She tried Calamine, Hydrocortizone, Benedril, Bleach (works on chiggers) with no luck. She told me when she was a kid her grandfather would use coal oil for itching. I told her we didn't have any of that but we have kerosine.
    I thought for a second and told her I've got something just as good and smells better, Hoppes #9!

Went up to the reloading room, got out a bottle and rubbed some on her arms. First time in 2 days her arms stopped itching. She put a bottle on the nightstand to use tonight. She asked what the guys at work would think of she wore some tomorrow since lots of them are hunters, shooters and ex-military. I told her she would probably get a couple of marriage proposals
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Nice to know! Thanks!

We don't have "Poison "Oak" around this part of the country(MN) that I know of, but plenty of poison ivy & even some poison sumac in swamp areas, IIRC.

I try to stay out of it for the most part, but have found that Jewel weed leaves have helped me in the past to alleviate some of the itching & blistering, and since it usually likes to grow near the same areas that poison ivy does, it is usually easy to find.

Here is some pics of Jewel Weed for those who may not know what it looks like:

This pic shows the leaves as well as a flower:

A map of the range of Jewel Weed on this page:
    https://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=IMCA

And some more info about Jewel weed:
    https://altnature.com/jewelweed.htm

https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/pl...capensis.shtml

Thanks again for another option to use to help with a dose of the itchy stuff we can encounter out & around..
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

I thought Juul weed was the CBD oil for the vapers to use?

That's really a pretty blossom. A little like a mini-orchid. Amazing color. Good photo!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I thought Juul weed was the CBD oil for the vapers to use?

Haha Funny! Close in the sound of them, but not the same...

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    That's really a pretty blossom. A little like a mini-orchid. Amazing color. Good photo!
    Not my pics, but ones I borrowed off the internet in a search engine, but, Yes, it is a nice pic!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Jewel weed is a wild touch me not. When the seed pods are ripe they will pop and throw the seeds at the slightest touch.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned

Sweet's 7.62 bore cleaner works even better!

Banned
    I can look at a picture of poison ivy and break out in a rash. Avoiding that stuff is the best medicine but if you get into it, wash as quickly as possible (get the oil off of your skin). Once you have the rash, you're really behind the curve but the best stuff I've found is Tecnu.

Tecnu also works to avoid a reaction if you put it on before potential contact but honestly, if you knew you were going to get into poison ivy - you wouldn't get into poison ivy.

Boolit Master
    All I have to do is think about poison ivy and I get it. I've found that Tecnu scrub used immediately after exposure works really good.

Boolit Master
    SWMBO is extremely sensitive to poison ivy. Once I claimed that if the vines were present anywhere in the zip code we passed through she would earn blisters from it. She almost agreed with me on that. Got to remember the Hoppes, Sweets, and every other suggestion this discussion reveals. I use a lot of Shooter's Choice (buy it in gallon quantity) and would love to learn if anyone has tried that formula.

Boolit Master
    Another trick, if you KNOW you have made contact with poison ivy or poison oak, is to immediately spray the area with aerosol carburetor and choke cleaner, or brake cleaner. It will dry out the skin, but the oils from the plant are also removed.

Boolit Grand Master

A trick I've used is to take a hot shower and then apply something like Ben Gay or Deep Heating Rub to the affected area. It burns like fire, especially on the insides of your arms or your ribs, but when it quits burning the rash usually scabs over and quits itching. WARNING, It does burn!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Another trick, if you KNOW you have made contact with poison ivy or poison oak, is to immediately spray the area with aerosol carburetor and choke cleaner, or brake cleaner. It will dry out the skin, but the oils from the plant are also removed.
    She had no idea until the next day. I'll remember the carb cleaner trick. The Hoppes probably works somewhat on the same principle by getting rid of the oil. She wondered what to use after for her dry skin. I told no worries, I've got Ballistol

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Nice to know! Thanks!

We don't have "Poison "Oak" around this part of the country(MN) that I know of, but plenty of poison ivy & even some poison sumac in swamp areas, IIRC.

I try to stay out of it for the most part, but have found that Jewel weed leaves have helped me in the past to alleviate some of the itching & blistering, and since it usually likes to grow near the same areas that poison ivy does, it is usually easy to find.

Here is some pics of Jewel Weed for those who may not know what it looks like:

This pic shows the leaves as well as a flower:

A map of the range of Jewel Weed on this page:
    https://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=IMCA

And some more info about Jewel weed:
    https://altnature.com/jewelweed.htm

https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/pl...capensis.shtml

Thanks again for another option to use to help with a dose of the itchy stuff we can encounter out & around..
    Thanks for the Jewell Weed tip.

Boolit Grand Master

For future reference ...Kerosene is Coal Oil .
    You could have used it...my Grandpaw put kerosene/coal oil on cuts , scrapes and bug bites...
    It didn't kill us so I guess it was OK .

Did you use regular old Hoppe's #9 or the new Hoppe's Elite Scent Free stuff....smells much better than the old !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 10-11-2019 at 10:17 AM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    My wife was cleaning out the front flower bed and got into some poison oak. Has it on both arms with the itching pretty bad. She tried Calamine, Hydrocortizone, Benedril, Bleach (works on chiggers) with no luck. She told me when she was a kid her grandfather would use coal oil for itching. I told her we didn't have any of that but we have kerosine.
    I thought for a second and told her I've got something just as good and smells better, Hoppes #9!

Went up to the reloading room, got out a bottle and rubbed some on her arms. First time in 2 days her arms stopped itching. She put a bottle on the nightstand to use tonight. She asked what the guys at work would think of she wore some tomorrow since lots of them are hunters, shooters and ex-military. I told her she would probably get a couple of marriage proposals

Yeah, but did she get the lead out?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Gary, I meant the more refined clear lamp oil not the stuff you get from a pump although I've got some of that too.

As for which Hoppes, how dare you sir! The original or none at all
    Last edited by jonp; 10-11-2019 at 01:34 PM.

Boolit Master

i think id probably use some purple power or simple green to remove the oils, as hoppes is something that wont be found in my home.

Boolit Master
    I've been blessed in the last 40 or so years, as poison ivy hasn't affected me. One time I took up a shooting post on the edge of a bauxite mi e, and laid down to do my shooting. Only after I got up did I realize that I had been laying down in a bed of poison ivy.

I believe that my first wife and my youngest son can think about poison oak or poison ivy and become affected. Once my youngest son had to be rushed to the hospital from being exposed to poison oak. His head looked like the Elephant Man.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    My youngest son is extremely sensitive to poison ivy. He recently posted some pix of him cleaning up the yard at their 100+ year old home, which was badly overgrown and gone wild. He told me that he had a lot of poison ivy growing there. He wore a Tyvek HAZMAT suit while working in the yard, and succeeded in removing the poison ivy without becoming effected!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast