Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Came across sizing with 310 tool article thought it was interesting

Came across sizing with 310 tool article thought it was interesting

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/casting...ngwithtool.htm

Was tutorial or walk through of using pan lube then do the size/gas check using 310 tool. Apparently back in the day that was a common approach. News to me, thought it might be of interest to others.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master
    John (beagle) is a fixture around here and his postings are backed up with solid knowledge and experience. I hadn’t seen that article though, and enjoyed reading it. It’s fairly common knowledge that I’m a 310 tool/small die enthusiast, so anything on the topic is of interest to me. Thanks for calling our attention to it. Reading it was like a visit with an old friend.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    Just as a little add-on about the sizing dies... they can also be used very effectively in a TruLine Jr press (or other press with an adaptor) and press the bullet through with the ram. This is a lot more efficient than the 310 tool, so less effort is needed. Sort of a pre-Lee bullet sizing set up in miniature.

I actually prefer my Lyman 450 for most purposes, but for short runs of bullets in sizes I don’t use often, this is a nice option to have.

Froggie

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Would be cool if beagle chimed in here,,,,,

That web page was very helpful to me whenever I first an across it by web search when I decided I wanted at least one, if not two, different lubes to match requirements, other than the hard blue stuff that I had been using for a couple of decades as it was what my casting/shooting partner had many pounds of it.

I never did size by .310, but it did help start me on the road to trying to understand lube and what's required of it in what we do with it.
    Last edited by Hamish; 10-10-2019 at 02:59 PM.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

I picked up a set of 310 tools in 44 Spec/Mag for a guy a few years back. It came with the bullet size kit.
    I tried it with a few boolits. It had to sharp a shoulder were it went from the slightly big part to the actual sizing part. This shaved off the side of the boolits.
    I thought about keeping it for myself and getting it reamed to a longer taper so it worked better, but let it go with the set.
    I currently have a 30-30 set up that came with a full length size die as well as the boolit size die.
    The full length worked like a Lee whack a mole set. Drive the case in then back out with a punch.
    Haven't tried to size any boolits so I don't know how it will work.
    I do like having a complete set like that.
    I see them quite often on Ebay. I have thought about picking up a few in sizes to match some of the cartridges I load for.
    They can go right with my 310 sets I have for those cartridges.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    I picked up a set of 310 tools in 44 Spec/Mag for a guy a few years back. It came with the bullet size kit.
    I tried it with a few boolits. It had to sharp a shoulder were it went from the slightly big part to the actual sizing part. This shaved off the side of the boolits.
    I thought about keeping it for myself and getting it reamed to a longer taper so it worked better, but let it go with the set.
    I currently have a 30-30 set up that came with a full length size die as well as the boolit size die.
    The full length worked like a Lee whack a mole set. Drive the case in then back out with a punch.
    Haven't tried to size any boolits so I don't know how it will work.
    I do like having a complete set like that.
    I see them quite often on Ebay. I have thought about picking up a few in sizes to match some of the cartridges I load for.
    They can go right with my 310 sets I have for those cartridges.
    Leo
    Used to be cheap to pick these sets up (or assemble them a piece or two at a time) just to have and experiment with. Demand for them now means you have to look a lot longer and harder or be willing to pay significantly more for them than I’m willing to spend “on a whim.” More’s the pity!

Froggie

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Used to be cheap to pick these sets up (or assemble them a piece or two at a time) just to have and experiment with. Demand for them now means you have to look a lot longer and harder or be willing to pay significantly more for them than I’m willing to spend “on a whim.” More’s the pity!

Froggie
    The down side of reloading becoming more popular as well as the internet making more people aware of "deals" to be had in quality older items is the prices tend to go up. On the other hand I think it helps keep the current crop of mold and tool makers in business when the hobby gets a wider audience. The hidden upside to those pushing gun regulations. More people get involved with reloading.

And of course a one kit does everything for a single caliber has a special appeal. I seldom use my Lee hand press but it is nice to know with a handful of dies, a mold and a powder scoop I can make ammo in that caliber anyplace. I may try that for sizing just to know if it will work ok for that in a pinch.

At one time you could pick up the large old DC motors used in computer tape drives, like the 1950's sci-fi computers with the big reel to reel on the front. They could be purchased for less than $10 and wired as a very effective and durable wind generator using cut PVC pipe for the windmill blades. Made a decent battery charging system for a cabin or hunting camp for cheap. As soon as the word got around the price shot up, and the supply was snapped up. What had been old junk became golden, then was gone. Same thing I think happens with cars, guns, and tools.

I agree sort of a bummer when the prices climb out of reach for casual purchase. Especially if it is driven by "collectors" and speculators rather than users but it is what it is.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    Great write up, and timely.

I swapped some boolits for a grab bag of 310 dies. I didn't even look inside to see what they were, they were 310 and that's all I cared about. Turns out they are all bullet sizers. Unfortunately all small caliber. Looks like 22, 25, 270, 7mm and I think one 311. All are for specific nose shapes. I know this vendor has had these for a few years now, as I bought some items from him that came from the same retired shooter. They are picked over, really only the odd outcasts left, but will be interesting on the long winter days coming.

I'll have to take a closer look some day, and perhaps put together a "kit" for 30-30 or 7mm Mauser.