MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: N frame holster?

Boolit Master

N frame holster?

I have a 3&1/2 inch barrel model 27 and am looking to get a holster made for it. Of course I am always looking for a 4 inch model 57. So my question to those of you that have both a 3&1/2 and 4 inch N frame is would the 3& 1/2 inch be ok in a holster made for a 4 inch? That way I would not out the expense of 2 holsters.
    Thanks

I did the same with a 3" k frame smith worked fine just to easy my mind I shoved a 1" long piece of round plastic about same dia as the barrel into the bottom of the holster .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

No problem, although you may find that different models by different manufacturers will hold the revolver a bit more securely. Part of the fit in some holsters depends on the muzzle and front sight contacting the leather to prevent it from rocking back and forth; but this can be prevented by the type of safety strap, be it a cross strap or thumb break, etc. Very likely any quality holster will work for you with both barrel lengths, but the best way is to try out the available choices at a LGS or gun show before buying. I have several such set-ups for revolvers of slightly different barrel lengths, and they work just fine. Some are a little more snug that others, but all serve the purpose.

Boolit Master
    The 27 has a tapered thinner barrel which may be a loose fit in a standard 4" N frame holster, like for the 57 you mention.

Boolit Bub
    If you tote the 3 1/2" gun in the 4" holster too long or too often, gravity will cause the barrel will stretch till it fills out the holster.

Chris

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    mtnbkr

If you coat the holster with Preparation H inside, it will shrink up to fit the shorter, skinny barrel perfectly.

Milk of magnesia and hot water will readily stretch it out again to refit to a bigger gun.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I have commercial holsters for my 24-3 4" bbld N frame in 44 special and one by S&W 624 6.5" N frame. At one time S&W used to make or had them made for the revolvers they sold. However for the 24-3 with the 3" bbld they did an offering for about the first 100 revolvers. So either look for a holster as suggested earlier or and I hate to say this but find that fits the revolver in question. So this in all probably means a custom holster. But all is not lost. Look up Rojo or Wolfir on this forum and send a PM explaining your needs. Just about all the holsters I have were bought from him. Mostly black basket weave. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    mtnbkr

If you coat the holster with Preparation H inside, it will shrink up to fit the shorter, skinny barrel perfectly.

Milk of magnesia and hot water will readily stretch it out again to refit to a bigger gun.
    That's funny right there even if it works

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    What style of holster are you wanting to have made? Lots of good leatherworkers and a few of them are known to forum members.

I favor the Brill style, this one for my 4” N frames would look good at BBQs, christenings, or just running about town.

Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6C707063-407E-4B9E-8E0C-48A247D930AE.jpg  
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Grand Master

I carry my 325PD (2 3/4") in Desantis Slide. Works well for me.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	054.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	249818Click image for larger version. 

Name:	052.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	249819
    This is for a 6 inch Model 28, but my 5 inch 44 works also
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I recently made a holster for a 4" model 28. There seems to be no reason why it couldn't be made a tad shorter.

Life is too short for only 1 holster. I have an IWB and OWB for every handgun I own, with the exception of my N frames, which they have their own purpose OWB holster. For your situation, I don’t see an issue with one holster since there is such a minor difference in barrel length.