RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: Knowledge about a 1849 pocket pistol

Knowledge about a 1849 pocket pistol

Stop at the local watering hole last night , my buddy I hunt with knows I'm fairly knowledgeable about most things shooting and guns . He says come out side and check this strange pistol out . It turns out it's an original (I believe ) colt 1849 31 cal pocket model with a 3-4"barrel , it's in really nice shape couldn't see any pitting on it has several matching sn#stamped on the main parts , in general it wasn't shot much and cared for proper . Now I have a general idea about how these old pistols work but never took one apart or loaded fired one . My friend wants to fire just a few shots just because and wanted me to check it over and see what's what about it .
    First off how does the barrel wedge come out ? There's a screw right above it does that lock it in place and needs to be removed to take out the wedge ? The nipples on it look in good shape what size caps are needed would cci 11 work ? Any other info about this pistol would be very helpful . I'll post some pictures after work today to see if you fellas can tell me if it's an original gun or what exactly it is .

Thanks,Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    If it is an original Colt the wedge can be driven out to the side without removing the screw. There is a trough in the wedge that the screw head slides in, there is a small ledge in the wedge at the end of the trough to keep the wedge from coming all the way out. Be very careful in driving the wedge out so it isn't damaged.

As for the proper size caps all of the original percussion Colts that I have had used #9 caps but they haven't been made for many years. Most use #10's and gently squeeze them down or fit new nipples that use # 11's. If the pistol is a modern Colt, made in the 70's or 80's ?, or reproduction then I'm not sure what size cap it would use.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Bub
    First of all, I'm no expert! There are videos on you tube showing how to dissemble and reassemble this type of pistol. Percussion cap sizes have changed over the years. Replacement ones that use modern caps are available at places like Track of the Wolf. With a .31 I'd try about 10 grains of 3fff. You will need filler like corn meal to fill the gap between the powder and ball so the powder compresses and the ball seats in the cylinder just below the top. I don't know how much if any filler is needed. You can just push the ball in further, accuracy may suffer. The ball needs to be over sized in soft lead or you can damage the loading lever. Maybe use a .32 ball, it needs to shave a ring when it goes in. Put some grease on the arbor the cylinder slides on. Also put some crisco on top of the balls to seal the chambers . Make sure the caps fit securely as loose ones can fall off into the works and cause jams and possibly chain fires. Most of these shoot high at 25 yards. Make sure it functions properly or have someone check it out that is familiar with these.

Boolit Master
    No corn meal needed. Just press the ball down to contact the powder. For firing just a few shots smear some crisco over the ball. You might only be able to get 7 gr of 3f under the ball. That's the volume of the spouts on the pocket pistol flasks.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

That screw above the wedge is there to keep the wedge from coming out and being lost. You don't ever need to remove the wedge from the pistol. The barrel can be removed with wedge retracted completely but not removed.

Thanks all I will try to carefully remove the wedge tonight, hopefully it will tap right out without any serious effort (AKA use of large hammer)

Boolit Master

A nylon hammer works well.

Boolit Master
    I bought a bag of the old style wooden clothes pins, remember them? Pop apart and use these non marring little gems to push wedges. Ends will roll and split, chuck it and grab another. Cutting them back a touch into increased thickness helps dramatically. I have had this bag over a decade and I don't think I have used ten.

Boolit Buddy
    11's work well in my repro pocket pistol. But Remington caps are generally what I use. I use either 0 or 00 buckshot in mine. I prefer 0 (0.320"), but 00 (0.330") is more available. Both seat easily and shoot well. I bought some balls from Dixie gunworks, but they have sprues on the top. So even though I pay a little more, I buy the 12ga buckshot shells, disassemble and use the balls. A box of 5 shells has about 7 cylinders or more in it.

For lube, I use bore butter just like my bigger front stuffers. I am working on a paper cartridge for this so I can reload a bit easier.

I load 15 grains of FFF black powder by volume. It's important to note by volume, because 15 grains by volume on my little brass measure is not exactly the same as grains per weight. I think by weight it comes out to 12.5 grains.

Anyway, have fun with it. I love my little pocket pistol.

Boolit Master
    Before you shoot that old Colt (the most produced Colt cap and ball revolvers - approx. 320,000 made) check a few things: does the cylinder lock up when the hammer is cocked? Any play in the locked cylinder? Does the chamber line up with the forcing cone? Are the nipples clear? I wouldn't try to remove the nipples if you don't have to, unless they come out easily. If you're just going to shoot it a few times, you might not want to remove the barrel from the frame. If it were mine, I'd strip it and clean it as much as I could before I fired it.
    If you do fire it, clean the barrel and cylinder afterwards.

Pics

Here's some pictures of it ,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1337.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	249548Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1339.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	249549Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1340.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	249550

Boolit Master
    Looks real good. Is the serial number on the cylinder off by one? Made between 1869-1870. Can you get a pic of the address on the top of the barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    Looks real good. Is the serial number on the cylinder off by one? Made between 1869-1870. Can you get a pic of the address on the top of the barrel?
    Yes the cylinder and the wedge are the same and off by 1 from the others . The address on the top of barrel is New York .

Boolit Grand Master

Half of the screw head for the wedge pin is missing
    Charter Member #148

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Half of the screw head for the wedge pin is missing
    Indeed it is have clue how that could have happened . That's really about the only thing on it thats boogered up

Boolit Grand Master

If you had to replace that with an aftermarket screw I doubt most would notice or care, nice revolver.
    Charter Member #148

If you should happen to have the means to do so, could you please report on the rifling and chambers dimensions?

USMC 77, USRA 79

very cool piece
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    If you should happen to have the means to do so, could you please report on the rifling and chambers dimensions?
    I got it apart tonight . The bore has some rust but the rifling is still strong . What exactly do you wish to know about the rifling ? Same with the chambers?just width and depth ?

Messed with it some last night , cylinders all measure .318-.319 ish with calipers . So guessing I need aball abouts .320 or a hair bigger . Could only measure the very top of the nipples with calipers they were .150" ? Will the #11 caps work ?