Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Brand new 4 oz clip on wheel weights......would u buy?

Boolit Bub

Brand new 4 oz clip on wheel weights would u buy for $1 a pound??

https://www.hummersurplusparts.com/p...0-01-188-1349/

If u had the opportunity to buy these new unused for $1 a pound would it be worth it? Is there any resale value as its intended use anymore......or is it strictly remelt for bullets and fishing weights now??
    Last edited by Sheldon; 10-09-2019 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Better description

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    That ad is at 6# for $27 which isn't so good a deal; 4 Oz wheel weights seem suitable for truck-type tires, not so much for passenger vehicles though.

$1/# isn't too bad a price, and clean is nice, means no inclusions of Zinc or the like (hopefully!)

Wow, I traded up and got #850 New in little boxes taking up room in my garage.
    I had no idea, I may put in for retirement.

Boolit Bub
    I thought for $1 pound for new wheel weights was pretty good so bought all the guy had. They came in the same boxes with the same label as the website link.

Boolit Grand Master

You didn't get hurt at a dollar a pound for new clean weights. Most of us try to keep the price under that but it depends on where you are at and how bad you need lead.

Vendor Sponsor

Well its not getting any cheaper and you have clean weights .. Not too bad in my book
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

I’d go for it.

It means for a buck I can get 30, 230gr bullets for my 45. At $.03 a bullet that’s still pretty darn cheap.

Check out my website www.theballisticassistant.com

Boolit Master
    No grease or road grime, baling wire, rusted bolts, chewing gum or cigarette butts. Not too shabby at all.

I would have jumped on that. Lead is getting scarce for me.

Think I. In the $.10# for my collection so far but used from tire shops it’s mostly lead but of 3700# I’ll probably net out 2500 to 2700lb

Boolit Bub
    I would love to get the $0.10 a pound stuff, but it's pretty messy melting it all down and tougher to find nowadays. I work over the range berm now and then for bullets, but still have yet to process any. Need to figure out a setup to do so....but will continue collecting! I have bought a bunch of the processed berm lead by the MFR box, over the years off this board for about a buck a pound too....

Boolit Master

This reminds me of the time I went to a tire dealer looking for WW. I had gotten weights there several times and most of the shop guys knew me by sight. The boss was gone so they told me to go back to the shop and get what I wanted from the scrap barrel. Digging in that barrel was not pleasant as you can imagine.

While I was digging wts out, a couple of the shop guys came over and said they had some new truck weights that had bad clips and they couldn't use them. Told me I could have them. I got several heavy boxes of new large weights. Some of those things weighed a quarter pound. I found out later that I was no longer welcome at this store. They had planned to return them in exchange for good weights.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

That would be a bummer! Wasn't your fault that an employee offered them to you. But you occasionally loose a source or gain a source. Just part of the game.

Boolit Master

I hit the WW circuit pretty hard for a few years and when zinc and steel started to be a real problem, I decided I had enough lead to last me into the hereafter. My activity has slowed down enough the last few years that it may last someone else into the hereafter.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I would not buy them. Especially since I get my wheel weights for free or an occasional $10 per 5 gallon bucket. Of coarse out of 100 pounds a wheel weights I’m lucky to get 30 pounds of lead! Not really that terrific percentage wise but then I take the remaining scrap steel and zinc wheel weights and get $.10 a pound at the scrapyard . When you factor in the gas I use driving around to the tire shops, the propane for smelting, and my time, I guess I’m doing a little bit better than breaking even. But I certainly wouldn’t spend a dollar a pound on a wheel weight that I then had to smelt down remove the steel clips . I think once you factor in all things you’ll find that you’ll be paying a bit more than a dollar a pound for those new wheel weights. Not a good deal in my book especially when you can generally buy smelted ingots for a dollar a pound .
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Well a guy trades me for the soft lead I buy from work (roofing Forman) and I drive a company truck so do t pay for my gas and also we have a filling station for propane and keep bottle in my truck witch I use when smelting witch brings down the cost significantly for me and apparently they guy I deal with has another 2100# barrel waiting for me

Edit
    I do pay for my personal vehicles witch I use for getting the lead but my truck has only covered about 1000 to 2500 miles a year and only have to fill it up around 3 to five times a year currently and my car about once every 2 months depending on if I need to travel for medical appointment on the island or not my company truck is just to and from work which is the lions share of my driving
    Last edited by Cast_outlaw; 10-14-2019 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Additional information

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cast_outlaw View Post
    Well a guy trades me for the soft lead I buy from work (roofing Forman) and I drive a company truck so do t pay for my gas and also we have a filling station for propane and keep bottle in my truck witch I use when smelting witch brings down the cost significantly for me and apparently they guy I deal with has another 2100# barrel waiting for me
    I’m jealous
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Not bad.
    If they are new in the box, you may be able to trade up on that for used ones at the local tire shop,
    unless yours are old school non-zinc.

Make your best deal, but trading 2-3 pounds of used ones for one pound of new ones in the box may work.
    Those shops have to buy new ones from somewhere....
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

I probably would not smelt those new weights. I would put those nice clean new weights straight into my casting pot and just skim out the 4 clips per pound as they floated to the top.

Cast_Outlaw, you have a sweet deal going! I would collect wheel weights until that deal comes to an end. I would also save at least a little of that soft roofing lead just because..........

Oh I got a few# (hundred) of soft put aside for my self not to worry and I’m going to run this deal out as long as possible. apparently the place the guy gets it from says if I return the non led ones they will make it right as there supposed to be all led in the barrels I smelt the zink ones and save them for either my aluminum boat and outboard