Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Winchester Model 1873, Octagon

Boolit Mold

Winchester Model 1873, Octagon

I'm new to fire arm repair so please don't tear me down. I recently picked up a Winchester Model 1873 Octagon in .44-40 WCF. It's missing some parts. Written on top is "Winchester Repeating Arms New Haven CT. It has an Octagon barrel and overall is in good shape. Its missing the slide on top that should close when you shut the lever and a screw that a sling would attach to at the front of the stock. I know the parts need to be time correct and I wont touch a thing until I make sure its not going to hurt the value. Any help would be appreciated SEE NEW PICTURES BELOWClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3741.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	249501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3742.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	249502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3740.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	249499Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3743.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	249503Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3739.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	249500Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3744.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	249504
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WIN 1.jpg   WIN 2.jpg   WIN 3.jpg   WIN 4.jpg   WIN 5.jpg  

WIN 6.jpg  
    Last edited by Bvinsonhaler78; 10-09-2019 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Wrong Picture

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    With its brass receiver your rifle is not an 1873, but an 1866 4th Model. Its serial number would date it 1869. I would VERY STRONGLY suggest that you consult a knowledgeable gunsmith having expertise on these old rifles, because in original condition this gun is worth too much to shoot. John Taylor in Puyallup, WA is a regular on this form. I would PM him.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 10-09-2019 at 03:47 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    I'm in Oregon and the collection I inherited is to die for. Ill look up John and thank you so much for your reply it is very much so appreciated.

44-40? Should it be a 44 "Henry"?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    44-40? Should it be a 44 "Henry"?
    Probably. According to Rick Hacker "After the emergence of the .44-40 Win. cartridge, some gunsmiths converted Model 1866s to .44 center-fires (but not .44-40, which wouldn’t feed in 1866 actions). Additionally, a few guns were factory-chambered in .44 Henry Center-fire (Flat). As Madis notes, “Model 1866s originally made as [center-fire] or factory converted to [center-fire] are rare.” With a total of 170,101 Model 1866s produced, fewer than 2,000 (including 1,020 sent to Brazil in 1891) were factory-chambered in .44 Henry Center-fire, beginning in 1873 and ending when the last Model ’66s were shipped in 1898.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    I'm an idiot and posted the wrong rifle. Its actually a 1873 and I posted the correct pictures. Cant find a serial number on it though.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    With its brass receiver your rifle is not an 1873, but an 1866 4th Model. Its serial number would date it 1869. I would VERY STRONGLY suggest that you consult a knowledgeable gunsmith having expertise on these old rifles, because in original condition this gun is worth too much to shoot. John Taylor in Puyallup, WA is a regular on this form. I would PM him.
    JOHN TAYLOR please get ahold of me I have a collection you NEED to see!

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Probably. According to Rick Hacker "After the emergence of the .44-40 Win. cartridge, some gunsmiths converted Model 1866s to .44 center-fires (but not .44-40, which wouldn’t feed in 1866 actions). Additionally, a few guns were factory-chambered in .44 Henry Center-fire (Flat). As Madis notes, “Model 1866s originally made as [center-fire] or factory converted to [center-fire] are rare.” With a total of 170,101 Model 1866s produced, fewer than 2,000 (including 1,020 sent to Brazil in 1891) were factory-chambered in .44 Henry Center-fire, beginning in 1873 and ending when the last Model ’66s were shipped in 1898.
    Ah yes, the details are nice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bvinsonhaler78 View Post
    I'm an idiot and posted the wrong rifle. Its actually a 1873 and I posted the correct pictures. Cant find a serial number on it though.
    LOL You sir have been found guilty and must produce pictures of all the collection!!! Cain't wait to see them!!

Boolit Mold
    So do you guys think I should start sanding these down and make them all pretty again? I'm kidding I wont touch a thing until I figure out my next move. I emailed John

Really nice new photos, thanks for sharing!

Boolit Master
    Sand absolutely nothing nor clean anything, get it inspected first. Doing so will cause an appreciable loss in value maybe as much as 25percent maybe more. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    The top three pics. look like the described 73,, the pics. of the " original 66" were posted too just make my heart rate ,, GO UP,, as far as touching the old rifles " WEAR GLOVES " ,,, Aawwwww ,, life .

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice Rifles. The Serial Number on the 1873 is on the lower tang under the lever. Several shapes of dust covers were used, the Serial Number will dictate which one you need. EBay has quite a few 1873 parts. This is where I would start looking.
    Rick

Boolit Mold
    You might visit homestead parts: http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/Winchester_1873.htm

Also, the Winchester Collector site should provide very sound advice: https://winchestercollector.org/forum/

There were three series of '73's, with different dust covers. If yours is a series three, the most common, you'll need the dust cover, spring, stop, and screw.

Originals turn up pretty regularly on Ebay, as noted above.

Boolit Grand Master

The dust cover on top is closed by hand and opens with the lever you will need the screw and catch also. Factory sling swivels are pretty rare on 73's so the hole in the front of the hand guard is probably an add on.