RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trapdoor carbine bullet mould

Boolit Mold
    I shoot several trapdoors and a Sharps rifle which all require bullets at .462 diameter. Your best bet is to choose a bullet design that you like and order a mold from Accurate Molds for the specific diameter and alloy that you want to use. If Accurate does not have a mold design that you like, you can send a sample bullet or diagram to Tom and tell him the diameter you want and he can do it. I hope this helps!
    Joe S

Boolit Mold
    I think that probably will try the powder coating method just to see , it's a pretty cheep experiment to do . I have already emailed Accurate Molds and asked them a few questions today and hopefully will placing a order after all this . They are not bad on their prices to . I need to wait and get some more input on if need to go with hollow bottom or flat bottom . They said that they don't make a hollow bottom bullet is the only hang up .

Boolit Grand Master

If you have a bullet that fits the throat/groove diameter then a flat base is best as the HB isn't needed. As previously mentioned the HB on the Lee bullet has a skirt way to thick to obturate at low Carbine level loads. The Army Ordnance people figure that back in the late 1870's and developed the 500 gr bullet (for the rifle load/70 gr BP) which has the mass to obturate if of correct alloy. The 45-55 Carbine load with the 405 gr bullet was still problematic. A bore scraper was issued with the sectional cleaning rod for use in scraping out the fouling and leading out of the carbines bores. With a proper fitting bullet, proper lube and proper alloy leading should not be an issue. With straight BP loads cleaning or wiping the bore every so often takes care of the fouling. I prefer a proper fitting bullet, proper lube, proper alloy and a duplex load (discussed in the previous mentioned thread). With the duplex load I have shot 100+ rounds in a day w/o cleaning or wiping and accuracy was maintained throughout.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Mold
    Making a little progress . Harbor Freight was out of powder coat and didn't have time to go anywhere else . So decided to try that beagling method . The bullets dropped at .463+ and lubed them with 50% bees wax from my own bee hives and 50% unsalted lard , 55gr 2ff , uncrimped , before loading nose of bullet was dipped in Udderly Smooth a trick was shown when shooting my Martini Henry. Shot at 50 yards and group was 3.75" about 6" above point of aim at 12:00 , greatly better then what was getting before .Hope to try 100yd after church Sunday . When I taped the mold with Aluminum tape on both sides and plan on removing one side of tape and see what bullets drop at . Still open to any thoughts on this .

Boolit Mold
    Tried to tape one side of mold but it was to much off . Having to retape the mold every so often would be ok for once in great while but gets old pretty quick if doing many bullets , so I "bit the bullet"! Sorry couldn't help myself and ordered a accurate mold . Thanks for everyones help .

Boolit Master
    Try Teflon tape wrap it according to the twist.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    There's also the "beagling " method of shimming the mould blocks with some foil tape can easily pick up 2-3 thou in dia.
    This is my suggestion also.
    Read your post about retaping, I never had to do that, mine did not move. About an 1/8 wide 1/4 long. It was on a Lee mold sorry, I can't remember, 30 or 45 cal. Double cavity. YMMV
    Last edited by 45workhorse; 10-13-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Wanted to give a update . The Accurate mold I ordered got here in about a week . Website said would be about 3 weeks so I was pretty happy about that . Made up some bullets and loaded them up but was not able to go try them out till today . Boy O boy what a difference . I am not the best shooter but the results from before and after are something for me . Only had a 50 yards to shoot but got 1 1/2 - 2 inch group . For me that's hole in one accuracy ! Before it was 6-8 group I think . Thanks everyone for your help and a big thanks to Accurate Molds .

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit fit is king. Proven once again.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12