Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New scale needed

Boolit Master

New scale needed

Well it looks like I need a new digital scale. I’ve been using a Lyman digital pocket scale for the past several years, backed up by a RCBS 505. The little lineman has performed admirably up until recently. The last couple times I have my doubts. A large portion of my reloading is for pistol rounds and my little digital is mostly used to verify every 10th drop out of a powder measure. So what I’m looking for is some responses from folks that I own a specific digital powder scale as to how Dependable it is and how long it last. Let me go a little bit further and state that I have neither the need, nor the financial wherewithal to spend several hundred dollars on a scale. So please no reply suggesting that I go out and buy brand XYZ with all the bells and whistle‘s that’s going to set me back more than the price of my Turret press and half of all the rest of my reloading equipment. Lol. To put it bluntly I am broke . So let’s limit the responses advice/ suggestions on scales at or under $100 .
    Thanks in advance for your replies.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    Well it looks like I need a new digital scale. I’ve been using a Lyman digital pocket scale for the past several years, backed up by a RCBS 505. The little lineman has performed admirably up until recently. The last couple times I have my doubts. A large portion of my reloading is for pistol rounds and my little digital is mostly used to verify every 10th drop out of a powder measure. So what I’m looking for is some responses from folks that I own a specific digital powder scale as to how Dependable it is and how long it last. Let me go a little bit further and state that I have neither the need, nor the financial wherewithal to spend several hundred dollars on a scale. So please no reply suggesting that I go out and buy brand XYZ with all the bells and whistle‘s that’s going to set me back more than the price of my Turret press and half of all the rest of my reloading equipment. Lol. To put it bluntly I am broke . So let’s limit the responses advice/ suggestions on scales at or under $100 .
    Thanks in advance for your replies.
    I bought one a few weeks ago amazon, $16 (WAOAW 50 digital scale) I don't know how long it will last but it is spot on when I check it with my beam scale,
    Last edited by Pighunter; 10-09-2019 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Spelling

This is the thread I started several months ago asking the same question. I was actually doing the research for a buddy, ended up buying the WAOAW scale.

Hope this info helps, I'm still using my 505, I may order one of these for myself just to see how long it will last. I had doubts about cheap digital scales, having sold much higher quality/cost lab scales in a prior life, I doubted that these cheapies were much good. I was pleasantly surprised how well it did work.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...recommendation

Boolit Master

I use my little Frankfort Arsenal digital for weighing bullets mostly. And to check on occasion how my progressive's measure is doing. When I reset that measure it's with my beam scale though! And I make use of my scale weight set religiously.

And as mentioned frequently - digital scales are really not very compatible with trickling your powder. That's definitely better done with a beam scale!!!
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Master
    I have 2 digital scales and 4 or 5 beam scales plus 2 Autoscales that are beam type auto tricklers.
    My digital scales are the RCBS 750 Rangemaster and the second generation Dillon Determinator.
    I would never use any inexpensive digital scale for weighing powder especially trickled powder charges. They are prone to stick slip. If you insist on using one, weigh each load then pick up the pan and then weigh it again 3 times to guard against stick slip.

The best I can offer is save your cash and use your 505.
    PS I inherited most of these scales. None of them were acquired new.
    EDG

Boolit Master

I have been using thr MTM digital scale for 5 years. I have faith in it. Its only acted up twice by wandering and not holding zero. Changeing the batteries fixed that. They arent that expensive either. I think I got mine for 25 bucks on sale at Academy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    I want to thank everyone for the replies so far. Please keep them coming

Banned

besides using redding analog scales, i have a number of digital scales that includes the jennings mark 20 and gempro 250's, all at +/- .02 grains. a few months ago i bought one of those cheap $24 ebay scales that also claims +/- .02 grains and i was pleasantly surprised at how well it stacks up against the $200 gempro 250. i just bought two more.

Save your money until you can afford a MyWeigh scale. Cost is a little over your stated $100 but well worth the investment. Mine is going on 20 years of use and does not exhibit any of the many failings attributed to electronic scales. FWIW, my MyWeigh has always agreed with my Redding balance scale.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Moderator Emeritus

I have an Ohaus (RCBS) triple-beam, the RCBS new digital, and a simple Redding balance. To complement a hand-loader (truck tailgate loading at range, using Buchanan tool) I picked up a Dillon Determinator for about $85.00 off eBay. I marvel at it's repeat-ability, accuracy, and ease of use. It comes new, I believe, with a wall-wart transformer; mine (used) didn't have one included, and scary, too, is how long the AA batteries in it have lasted. Might be worth looking into?Attachment 249533
    geo

Maybe I'm old fashioned...but I love my RCBS 505....I have my dad's 505 as well as a backup. I've been using it now for over 30 years and it never hiccups. Its hard to beat mechanical over electrical in my opinion. Keep 'em tuned up and they will run forever.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Banned
    I bought two digital scales off of eBay. Both under $20. The first one measures hundredths of a grain. I would say it is accurate to about .02 of a grain. The other one I bought at the suggestion of people on youtube. It seems nicer BUT only measures to tenths of a grain so the scale only reads to 0.1 of a grain...it is accurate to .1 of a grain as in 41.3 gn is actual. But the first one would measure to 41.65 gn and is accurate to between 41.65 and 41.77 gn. So you see what a great difference this is. Make sure when you buy one that it even goes to hundredths of a grain.
    Last edited by Traffer; 10-10-2019 at 08:15 PM.

Boolit Master
    First off I wanna thank everybody for their replies. I just want to explain in case someone misunderstood me . I love my 505 And I’m not looking to replace it. I don’t use my digital scale to trickle powder and if I do I do understand you have to take the pan off the scale to get accurate readings. But then again I don’t find myself trickling powder when I’m loading 9 mm or 9 mm makarov rounds. Are use my digital scale when I set up my powder measures and to verify every 10th round . It’s a lot quicker and more convenient for me then to try and use a beam scale for this . If I’m setting up ladder charges or any loading for my 30 odd six are use my beam scale . It’s just that I love my little digital scale it serves me quite well over the years it’s just time for an upgrade . Anyway I hope this clarifies my original post and thanks for all the replies I will take everything into consideration

Banned

there's nothing at all wrong with an analog beam scale other than time .... they, are, just, so, slow. not to mention positioning them for the best consistent view of the dial plate and beam pointer (yeah, some guys are using digital cameras to better view that, but really?). yes, i still love and use my 505 a fair amount, but let's get real, these digital scales have come a long weigh, er, way, and are better than ever for a measly $25 or less ... and i'm talking +/- .02 grain resolution *instantly*. the kicker is that they're very consistent - i spent a lot of time, hours in fact, comparing weighs between the cheapo, gempro, and 505, and the cheapo was as good as the gempro and better than the 505. the cheapo almost never needed a "pan lift" to re-weigh a trickle, too - i still can't get my $200 gempro 250 to do that. don't dismiss cheap digital scales. look around for one that claims +/- .02 grains and give one a try ... for cheap. ymmv.

Boolit Master
    Digital scales work fine, until they don't, but you will have no idea when that is. If all you are doing is checking your drops every once in a while, keep using the beam. I use a 5-10 and it only takes a few seconds to settle. My Lyman 55's are so true I check less often than I used to, but they always check out. I just won't take a chance on a digital, especially when getting close to the edge.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by str8wal View Post
    Digital scales work fine, until they don't, but you will have no idea when that is. If all you are doing is checking your drops every once in a while, keep using the beam. I use a 5-10 and it only takes a few seconds to settle. My Lyman 55's are so true I check less often than I used to, but they always check out. I just won't take a chance on a digital, especially when getting close to the edge.
    Every one has their own preference. I like my digital. As I said it’s given me years of service. Until now. And could certainly tell when it was off.
    I greatly appreciated all the suggestions from my fellow members. I plan on doing my research, taking in to consideration all the suggestions I’ve gotten here before I make my decision on which one to purchase

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by str8wal View Post
    Digital scales work fine, until they don't, but you will have no idea when that is.

I just won't take a chance on a digital, especially when getting close to the edge.
    Amen. Seems most everyone loves their magic digital scale ... until it quits. And the digitals do quit, all of them.

I'll point out that a digital's resolution to .02 grain is NOT the same as being accurate to .02 grain; that accuracy would require a very costly labratory scale.

I've never understood saying any magnetically damped beam powder scale is "slow". I've used maybe a dozen or so and own three; they have all settled within 3 swings, maybe 2 seconds. I've watched digitals take twice that before they settle - and even then they rarely follow a trickler in real time. ??

On my reloading bench digital scales are for weighing cases, bullets and arrows, not powder.

Banned

to each their own. i love the analogs and will still use them, but cheap .02 grain digitals are what works best for me, for both speed and Accuracy.

Banned
    looks like the Frankford arsenal --- good reviews

High Accuracy Mini Electronic Digital Pocket Scale Jewelry Diamond Gold Coin Calibration Weighing Balance Portable 500G/0.01G Counting Function Blue LCD
    $7.99 Prime FREE Delivery & FREE Returns
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0736QWVT2...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    to each their own. i love the analogs and will still use them, but cheap .02 grain digitals are what works best for me, for both speed and Accuracy.
    I agree that’s the reason for my op. And by the way my $25.00 Lyman pocket scale was dead on when verified by my 505. I do agree that they break, eventually. So what! nothing lasts forever! Anyway keep the suggestions coming. So far I like the Dillion D-terminator, but I don’t like the $140.00 price! Maybe another Lyman, micro touch 1500. Or one of the frankford arsenal ones. Does anyone have any experience with those?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast