Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .44 Special load data

.44 Special load data

Could use some help from you folks, cant find any load data for this particular weight bullet and not smart enough to figure it out myself. I am wanting to load some .44 special with 190gr semi wadcutter HP"s, would like to get it around 900-1000 fps. Will be using a 5" Ruger GP100 and a 4" S&W 69. Powders I have are Lil' Gun, Aliant 2400, Win 296, and Hodgdon H110. Any info would be much appreciated.
    "The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue."

"I don't always listen to Black Sabbath,But when I do so do the neighbors."

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The powders you list IMHO are ALL too slow burning to ignite easily or burn completely in .44 Special with so light a bullet. I would expect very erratic velocities and poor accuracy as well. Those slower powders would be more suitable with full-charge loads with 240-270-grain bullets in strong revolvers, not for lighter "midrange" loads.

The velocity you seek can be obtained easily with 5-6 grains of Bullseye, TiteGroup, Clays, Red Dot, 700X, WST, 452AA, etc. Five grains of any of these fast-burners is a full charge for older .44 Special revolvers. The 6 grain charge probably would exceed SAAMI MAP for the .44 Special and should be used only in modern, strong revolvers designed and manufactured to use .44 Magnum ammunition.

I use 6 grains of Bullseye with Accurate 43-206H in my 1905 Colt .44-40 Six Shooter, and this approximates standard factory velocity and pressure in the .44-40 cartridge. Same charge assembled in a .44 Special case would be well over 1000 fps due to the higher loading density of the smaller case. The 43-206H Accurate bullet should be a good choice for the .44 Special as well, although I don't know anyone who has tried it.

Attachment 249480Attachment 249481
    Last edited by Outpost75; 10-09-2019 at 11:50 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Moderator Emeritus

I agree with the faster powders. I also think you can safely substitute data for a 200 gr bullet assuming it has a similar profile resulting in a similar bearing surface.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    The only powder that you list that would be acceptable would be 2400, and you'd want 15 grains of it to get you where you want to be. 5.5 grains of Red Dot would do the same job much more economically and would be safe in your modern revolvers. But as Outpost has said, there are plenty of fast powders to choose from. You pays your money and takes your choice.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I'd be looking at powder pistol/unique/bluedot/aa#5/etc. Medium burn rate powders would easily deliver 900-100fps in those 4" & 5" bbl'd revolvers.

Some test loads in a 2 1/2" bbl'd revolver using 2400
    [IMG][/IMG]

Boolit Master

8.2 gr AA 5 with a 200 gr RNFP is safe and accurate in my revolvers.

I’ll just post this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	249763
    Closest I could fined in published data

Boolit Master

I use a lot of 200gr tc saeco #420 bullets , but in the 44 mag case 6.0 gr of TG or BE @ about 800 fps , and 7.0 gr BE or TG @ 925 fps shot from my 69 this load is accurate in all four of my 44 mags