MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Flat-top Bisley .44 Special Opinions

Boolit Buddy

Ruger Flat-top Bisley .44 Special Opinions

Hi All! I'm looking at a Ruger Blackhawk Bisley in .44 Special at a local gun shop. It's a "Lipsey's Exclusive." See the link for a photo:

https://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail?i...URNVB-444-SPCL

I was wondering if anyone here owns one. If so, I'd like to know what you think of it.

Thank you!
    Howard

Banned

I acquired one a few years ago...........I changed the laminated grips to synthetic ivory to try and make it look more like Elmer's #5! It's a tackdriver with all my handloads too!

Boolit Man
    I have one and its one of my favorite revolvers to shoot. I have had 44 magnum revolvers and always loaded to 44 Special levels. You can load the Ruger to some respectable levels. I have killed a couple of deer with mine.

Boolit Buddy
    I concur with both of the previous posters. I had one, shot absolutely amazing. Almost boring accuracy with all of my handloads. Early this spring I was thinning some of the multiples and it came to the 44 specials. I have the pair of S&W 21-4 and 22-4, so I took my flattop to a gunshow. Traded it and some cash for a saddle for my nieces still on the ranch. Buy one with confidence, great revolver.
    Zingger

I have 4 of them. Most accurate Rugers I own. Dimensions are right for boolits. 429421 sized .431 over 8.0 of power pistol and you are golden.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Fellas! You are all going a long way toward convincing me to go forward with the purchase! I'm actually trying to decide between two very different handguns. I don't currently have a singe action center-fire revolver in the collection, and I was previously thinking about one of the Italian made Colt copies. Then this Ruger caught my eye, and the idea of a modern revolver with sights I can actually see seemed appealing. Not to mention the fact I love the .44 Special cartridge!

Howard

Boolit Master

I have a 5.5" Bisley .44 flattop and a 6.5" Bisley .480 Super Blackhawk. Both in stainless. Nice handguns. The action was nice as it came from the factory on the .44. The .480 had to go back. Ruger made it right, when it came back it could only be described as excellent. Doug Guy trued up the cylinders for me on both Guns. Both very good shooters.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I have 4 of them. Most accurate Rugers I own. Dimensions are right for boolits. 429421 sized .431 over 8.0 of power pistol and you are golden. ]
    That is not good shooting from 50 yards standing, that is GREAT SHOOTING!

I will be willing to bet the two flyers came from throats just a tad different size than the others..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I bought a flat top 44 Special a few years ago also, except mine is stainless. The 4 5/8” barrel makes it handle nicely. Still trying different loads, from 44-250KT to 44-185WC. I actually bought the wadcutter for my wife’s Charter Arms Bulldog, but will try in in the BH.

Attachment 249470
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    I bought a flat top 44 Special a few years ago also, except mine is stainless. The 4 5/8” barrel makes it handle nicely. Still trying different loads, from 44-250KT to 44-185WC. I actually bought the wadcutter for my wife’s Charter Arms Bulldog, but will try in in the BH.

Attachment 249470

For got to post Flat Top....

Attachment 249471
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    When Lipsey's came out the the special run of 44 Spls,, even before the FT's,, I got a pair. LOVE them! While I didn't see the need to add to them with a FT,, I have had the opportunity to shoot a few. You can't go wrong.

And if I was looking at an Italian clone,, or the Ruger,, I'd opt for the Ruger hands down. Many of the clones are quite nice,, and their pricing is attractive. But,, I've also seen more of them have "issues" than the Rugers. If an issue were to rear it's head,, Ruger is much easier to deal with than any others. Plus,, the strength of the Rugers is renown.
    And the Patriot in me likes to try to buy American whenever I can!

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    That is not good shooting from 50 yards standing, that is GREAT SHOOTING!

I will be willing to bet the two flyers came from throats just a tad different size than the others..
    No the flyers are me. Just to put things in context I was having a very good shooting day that day. Many many more targets I shoot don't get pictures taken of them.

Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a bisley and a standard flat top. Both are awesome. As said before, the critical numbers are good and they shoot like nobody's bidness. 429421+unique is awesome combination. You will not be dissatisfied.

1Papalote

Boolit Grand Master
    For revolvers, I generally tend to go for S&W first, but there are two Ruger SAs I have on my bucket list, the Buckeye Special Combo 32 I once owned and foolishly sold and the Lipsey’s 44 Special Flattop. In the words of the great Billy Joel, “.. all it takes is looks and a whole lot of money!”

That deal you’ve found on the 44 would sure make it a candidate for entry into my safe!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Pull it apart, buff the contact surfaces with a dremel polishing wheel and put in a 20 oz. Trigger return spring and you will have an amazing revolver.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    For revolvers, I generally tend to go for S&W first, but there are two Ruger SAs I have on my bucket list, the Buckeye Special Combo 32 I once owned and foolishly sold and the Lipsey’s 44 Special Flattop. In the words of the great Billy Joel, “.. all it takes is looks and a whole lot of money!”

That deal you’ve found on the 44 would sure make it a candidate for entry into my safe!

Froggie
    I usually gravitate to the S&W's also, but this Ruger is calling to me!

Howard

You may need to get a 2dogs front sight as some of the recent ones are too short to zero.

Boolit Buddy
    Great revolver. I have a 5.5 inch and even living in Alaska, were I limited to one handgun, it would probably be this one. Very accurate and very packable. With a Keith bullet over 17 grains of 2400 I would feel well equipped to go afield in bear country. I've carried it many times with that load while moose and caribou hunting and floating rivers.
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

Boolit Buddy
    I'll add my concurrence; my 4 5/8" model is extremely accurate. The plywood grips are easily enough replaced. The previous post about 'sights I can actually see' particularly resonates.

Boolit Master
    I have 3, the 4 5/8"s plow handle & the 5.5" & 7 1/2" bisley, all 3 are extremely accurate & I've taken deer with all 3, several with the 5.5" gun.

Dick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast