Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: potassium chrorate

Boolit Bub

potassium chrorate

I am looking for a reasonably priced source of potassium chlorate. need to make percussion caps.

Boolit Master

might try firework component suppliers like skylighter.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Why chlorate and not perchlorate , both have been used in percussion caps , in looking at it I believe the potassium perchlorate would be my choice , I usually buy stuff from phils general store also known as ihaveadotcom have bought sulfur and potassium nitrate from him .

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I'd think Perchlorate formulae are safer than Chlorate ones, based on my experience from many moons ago.

Try https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.m...iming-compound. I ordered the kit and make primers with beer cans using a punch die for caps. Easily done. The kit has four compounds (KCLO4, sulphur, talcum/ ground glass and something else (bat wings?)and appropriate dippers to get right proportions. After firing, a reddish orange deposit is left behind but comes off with soap and water
    Last edited by Castaway; 10-09-2019 at 09:47 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks to all. I have the sharpshooter kit and was looking for more of the compound. The formula I was looking at required pot chlorate. Looks like the perchlorate will also work.

Boolit Master

Either Potassium Chlorate or Potassium Perchlorate is going to be hard to buy, it's not illegal (Yet!!!!) but most places won't sell it to just anyone, go to sklighter's site and read their policy and most others are the same.

The good news is the Potassium Chlorate is easy and cheap to make at home, all you need is some good Chlorine bleach (Chlorox not the cheap stuff) and some potassium chloride (salt substitute from WalMart, etc.). I won't go into the how-to because it would be too long but it's not at all hard to do and instructions for making it are very easily found on the 'net, dozens of sites go into detail and even Youtube has videos.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Be careful with it, it is highly explosive itself, and can go off with the slightest impact. I had some around and gave it to a fireworks maker, as I was afraid to even have the stuff around the shop. I don't scare easy.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

The perchlorate is not hard to buy , yes skylighters policy is about people who want to make flash powder , phils general store is easy to do business with and he sells the perchlorate more stable stuff , like any chemical use safety caution and sense , storing or using , and I would go the perchlorate route for what you are wanting to make , please post some pictures and your progress and success , and good luck

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by cjensen View Post
    I am looking for a reasonably priced source of potassium chlorate. need to make percussion caps.
    Is there any particular reason you're hot to make your own corrosive-primed caps? Just as an exercise in independence ["I'll be ready if the govt. ever shuts off access"] or because you think you'll save $ vs getting store-bought caps? I've heard small pistol primers in a section of 1/4" nylon hose works a treat for reducing costs [3c/primer vs. 10c/cap. IDK how much the piece of nylon hose adds to the cost...] As others have said, use the perchlorate, it's much safer to work with. From what I've read, just mixing dry sulfur powder and chlorate results in spontaneous combustion; obviously a lot more sensitive for ignition, and you'd never mix them dry, but why risk it? Perchlorate is supposed to work well enough [look up FA17? primer formula...]

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Surculus View Post
    From what I've read, just mixing dry sulfur powder and chlorate results in spontaneous combustion; obviously a lot more sensitive for ignition, and you'd never mix them dry, but why risk it?
    I can tell you from personal experience that mixing dry Potassium Chlorate and Sulfur is not generally a good idea...The mixture is HIGHLY sensitive to shock... I never had it spontaneously combust, but it is a definite possibility.
    Generally, mixing and grinding certain compounds together wet decreases the likelihood of an accident happening, but extreme care is still warranted.
    Best bet would be to grind small amounts (less than a gram!) of wet Potassium Chlorate and Sulfur separately from each other, then combine and mix thoroughly (a paste).
    Best of Luck, be CAREFUL!!! I shattered a 3/8"" thick mortar when I wasn't as careful as I should have been...

-Tom

Boolit Master

Dry-mixing pure Potassium Chlorate with anything is DANGEROUS!! Don't ask how I know because I'd have to show you the burn scars from high school Chemistry...and I graduated from HS in 1963.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I'd wet it to a slurry, make SURE it's all wet, and only then mix things. Old caps used KClO3, S, and Red Phosphorous, among other things; Mostly those. Once it dries again it's back to very sensitive to impact / friction (or even nasty looks IMO.)

Forgive my newbie status but how do you wet Potassium percolate? With acetone, or water?
    Real radios glow in the dark.
    Got lead balls?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’m getting interested in trying to make some caps (primers). What exactly do you need? Are there a lot of different recipes?

Quote Originally Posted by Fla.HP View Post
    Forgive my newbie status but how do you wet Potassium percolate? With acetone, or water?
    I am makin my own percussion caps, and am having limited success. I would rather make a paste. I just wanna do it right...
    Got lead balls?

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’m getting interested in trying to make some caps (primers). What exactly do you need? Are there a lot of different recipes?
    https://aardvarkreloading.com/index.html
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Grand Master

There are a number of recipes for making the stuff but read the tutorial on Skylighter. I read it some time ago but I think I remember their multiple cautions and to make sure it is wet and done outside.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    I thank you very much...the link and resulting information was enormous. Found all the info I needed, in spades. The history of percussion cap making was both entertaining as well as informative.

Y'all are awesome, THANX!
    Got lead balls?

Boolit Master
    What about bromate ?....years ago ,we came into posession of a cardboard keg of potassium bromate ,apparently used in hairdressing,or some such..........anyhoo,blew a cannon to numerous pieces with bromate and sugar ,and rusted anything steel in a half a mile .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast