Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Savage 99 Williams Foolproof aperature sight

Savage 99 Williams Foolproof aperature sight

With my rifle I’m shooting 12” low at 25 yards with newly installed Williams fool proof aperature sight installed on rear and Max’d out on “up”. I hate to file on the “sour Doug” sight on front. What options do I have?

Boolit Master
    According to my math you need a 3/8 inch lower front sight, lots of filing. Or raise the read another 3/8 inch above maxed out up! Figured 28 inches between front and rear sight, for 12 inch move at 25 yards, dang that’s a lot!! Is it possible they sent you the wrong Williams?
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

The barrel is 22” long, let’s say 10” at 25. Shooting Noe 165 at 1700 fps

I would run the FP to center of adj. shoot and change front sight to height to put you in ball park. If you adjust with FP out of travel it will put you in a bind for future adjustment. I like to end up with Reciver sights as low to gun as possible but not bottomed out.

Looking at ending up with a front sight 1/8” tall

I can relate. The integral ramp on my 94 Win (even with the shortest sight available) is a bit tall since the 38-55 rebore. It shoots where I want it to only if I load it to uncomfortable recoil level( steel buttplate). Shortening a ramp isn’t on my fun list but it may come to that.

Boolit Master
    Where is the peep mounted? Is it at the very back of the receiver? Most of the peeps I've seen on 99s (other than a tang style peep w/an adjustable staff) are mounted on a plate that sits under them - pretty thick one at that. You could probably hand shape a chunk of brass to raise the peep sight up to what you need. Then drill and countersink the screw holes to attach it to the receiver, and drill and tap for the peep.
    The other option is to drift the front sight out, and replace it with one you don't mind filing down.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Banned

Brownells stocks all manner of good Marbles front sights. I like the ones with a brass bead, easy enough to drift the old one out and install a new one.

On the 99s I've installed receiver sights on, I take the original sights, wrap them up in a paper towel lightly soaked in oil then put in a zip lock bag and put them inside the hole in the stock under the butt plate so they stay with the rifle, as I have a nasty tendency to lose things.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Brownells stocks all manner of good Marbles front sights. I like the ones with a brass bead, easy enough to drift the old one out and install a new one.

On the 99s I've installed receiver sights on, I take the original sights, wrap them up in a paper towel lightly soaked in oil then put in a zip lock bag and put them inside the hole in the stock under the butt plate so they stay with the rifle, as I have a nasty tendency to lose things.
    Ditto!
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Great if a new owner knows about the sights in the buttstock
    beltfed/arnie

Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post

Great if a new owner knows about the sights in the buttstock

Why I ALWAYS pull the buttplate of every used gun I buy...…….

I've found sights, bills of sale, old hunting licenses and dried blood (under a military Mauser's BP).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    How old is your 99? Is the Sourdough the original front sight? How does it shoot with the barrel mounted rear sight?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Buy a Wyoming Drift tool. Best dang tool for moving dovetailed sights and adjusting, it will move the most stubborn sights.

I have a Williams Sight tool that is hard to beat removing & installing sights in ramps. Right now I'm looking to put original iron sights on 99eg 1950 Manf. I have tangs but would like a reciever sight. Don't want new alumilum sights so I'm going with irons till I find a good older model for it. I have brass drifts ground to use on sights.

Let's have a picture of your rear sight install. Was the receiver drilled and tapped for that sight or did it come d&t'd from the factory?

I suspect the Williams sight is not the right height for your gun. The proper Receiver Sight is a Lyman 57 SA

The proper way to mount a Receiver Sight on the Savage 99 is to use the holes in the receiver tang.This will place the Lyman sight at the right elevation.

Here s pics of the Lyman 57 SA and there are always ones for sale on Ebay .

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Williams made two different FP sights for Savage 99's (below)

Both should zero easily with your Savage 99, unless the Sourdough front sight on your rifle was installed aftermarket, and is too tall to remain within the adjustment range of your Williams peepsight.

I would suggest using Brownell's sight height calculator to determine what the correct front sight height should be:

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn...aspx?lid=13186

IME, zero is best checked @ 100yds...……..

Last edited by pietro; 10-20-2019 at 12:54 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

That Lyman is exactly the sight I have been looking for. The 99eg I bought is 90%+ as far as condition. The original sights have been replaced with Lyman flip leaf and front looks to be front bead from Rem 700. It is 1950 Manf. and was D&Ted after purchase. It also has swivel studs installed. Thus not collector piece. I want to use it for a deer gun so I took scope off. I have a mint original tang sight for it but I don't like them for moving targets and the Wiiliams seems bulky looking to me.

the williams sights are fine if you don't plan on changing the elevation and then wanting to go back to Mechanical Zero. The Lyman Sight will repeat exactly every time, that's why I said it was the "proper sight" for those guns. There are two 99's at my local Hardware store one in 300 savage and the other in 250-3000. Both are drilled and tapped for the Lyman Sight from the factory.

Here's one currently listed on Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Lyman...YAAOSwk9VdrOXG

I'd bid about $150 to make sure I got it but it will probably go for around $75-90

Good Luck

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com