WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: acetone before powder coating

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Dish washer machine soap is some powerful stuff and hardly anybody takes advantage or uses it.
    Yeah... A few months ago I ran out of washing machine detergent and had a couple of really nice but grimy caps I wanted to wash before a trip. As the wife wasn't around I just went full auto belt fed bachelor, threw some powdered dish detergent in the washing machine, turned it on, and went back to packing.

Caps came out looking like the "weathered" looking pants and stuff kids buy that has holes, hanging threads when they're new. Now they're work caps...

Filed that little bit of experience away for the next time I need to seriously wash something - like bullets maybe...

Boolit Master

My bullets go from mold to water bucket to clean towel. Then into Clean plastic container. If then PC or Lube. After the container is empty it gets washed with Dawn, dried and closed to wait for more bullets.
    Never had a problem with PC not working this way. Done it the same way forever.

Tried acetone once to remove hard blue lube from some old commercial cast bullets once. All it did was remove the blue color from the lube and transfer it to the acetone in the glass jar.

My Dad laughed when I told him. Said to boil the bullets in my lead alloy melting pot with a generous amount of "Grease Relief" dish soap in the water. This was 30+yrs ago before Dawn came out. Rinsed in HOT water and they were good to go. Back to the Lube-Sizer for some 50/50.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    A quick addendum to my suggestion of using mineral spirits to remove lube. I had some bullets that I had lubed with Lee Liquid Alox about 8 years ago. Soaked them overnight in mineral spirits and then ran them through the dishwasher. A few came out with brown residue in the lube grooves! So, while Lee suggests mineral spirits to thin their LLA, it might call for a toothbrush treatment after the soak!

Boolit Man
    update for me, i now use the previously used acetone (letting it settle and trying to decant off the clearest fluid first). follow this with a second wash of new acetone (which will become the used acetone). this works great, kind of a pain but the results are night and day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12