Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: 6.5 Grendel Help

Boolit Buddy

6.5 Grendel Help

Ladies & Gents,
    My brother has a 6.5 Gr upper. A retired DOD engineer, he enjoys our passion, but has less opportunity due to extended family. I would be interested if there is any 6.5G stuff available. I/e once fired brass, assorted boolits, that sort of thing.
    Plus I would appreciate input on if there is a real need for a dedicated magazine for the round in a AR platform. I know the 450B requires such, but have no experience with the 6.5 case.
    If this is appropriate I welcome PMs for resources to go to the brother not me. Thanks to the community.
    Carl

Boolit Master

Hello Carl

First off Magazines... if your happy with 3/4 rounds then yes any mag will likly work. But there larger dia is such that the ribs in a 223/556 mag do. Ot allow proper function. You need a dedicated 6.5 magazine.

Brass is readily available from Star line and Hornady from various suppliers.

The lil grendel is best with bullets less than 140. But can shoot 140’s very nice just slowly. Too slow for reliable preformance as hunting bullet IMHO. 90-130 is best and 120/123 is about optimal as hunting. 107 can shoot some scarry accurate groups.

The caliber works well with 223/556 appropriate powders too.

Good luck its a fine caliber

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, CW good info. Did you mean the dedicated mag needs wider ribs in the well? And what is the reference to 3/4 rounds? Its OK if he has to get a mag just for the Grendel, I'd like help from the members on which ones are reliable & affordable....

Boolit Master

Grendel mags conform to the tapered case similar to the 7.62x39 but if you only load 3 or 4, a standard mag might work. I use both 6.5G & 7.62x39 mags interchangeably at full cap without issues.
    There are 2 types of 6.5G bolts too that should match the chamber type that a regular AR15 bolt won't fit.
    There are LRP-primed ammo (PPU) or 7.62x39 converted brass reloads and SRP-primed ammo (Hornady, etc.). You do have to fireform if converting AK brass.
    Being a fast round in my experience, 130gr is the heaviest bullet for optimal velocity though you can use up to 140g for slower loads. I personally use 130g & up for my creedmoor. I've used 90g to 129g with flat trajectories & accurate results.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master

Yup. As Sig says.

If only three or four rounds in a magazine is acceptable. Most any magazine will work.

But proper magazines will make it better. Lancer makes them as does Anderson. Afordable is irelivant. There are not maky choices they cost what they cost if ya wanna play... Sorry to tell ya, but ya gotta pay OR ACCEPT just a couple round capacity.

Cw
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine loves the 90gr speer HP and benchmark powder. Have some 100's Nosler CC to try also

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    But proper magazines will make it better. Lancer makes them as does Anderson.
    Cw
    I think you meant E-lander, not Lancer and Alexander, not Anderson. Alexanders are made by E-Lander.
    There are also ASC and CPD (C-Products) and AR Stoner (Which is ASC or CPD, not sure which).
    I have had good luck with E-Lander and CPD and ASC.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."