Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kerosene

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    We used kerosene space heaters in the winter when I was a teenage drywall hanger. I'd rather work cold than endure those fumes. It didn't bother the others as much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I did the same. They barely took the chill out but they really smelled and gave ya a headache. Either that or holding the board up with your head when doing ceilings.

Boolit Master
    Good thread! It was likely a poorly maintained wick that caused my low opinion of kerosene heaters. It was in a Big Sur cabin and enough wind came through the walls that the fumes didn't kill us. As tight as my house is now I wouldn't use any heater not direct vented outside.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    A properly operated kero heater in good condition with clean fresh fuel will produce carbon monoxide in such a tiny amount as to be considered negligible. That does require that a person be competent and knowledgeable about it which immediately excludes a lot of people theses days. These appliances were designed to be used in residential housing. On the other hand, gaseous fueled appliances like normal household furnaces, water heaters, etc, produce copious amounts of carbon monoxide even when running optimally.

/\ That is the absolute truth ! /\

A properly operated kerosene device is a fine tool. An improperly operated kerosene; stove, heater, lantern, lamp, etc. is no fun.

I buy kerosene at the pump and it is crystal clear. It burns fine and stores well. I will not buy dyed kerosene.

I run an Aladdin lamp in the evenings most of the winter. That lamp puts out a lot of additional heat. The only time I even notice the odor of kerosene is immediately after extinguishing it and that is minor.

Unvented kerosene heaters are fine when they are properly maintained and operated. Like guns, cars, airplanes, boats, power equipment, whatever - some knowledge and respect goes with the territory.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    i used one for years never a problem then about 6 years ago can not get good kerosene any more, have to change the wicks every year also have to get a treatment for the kerosene. get it a home depot. years ago the kerosene was some of the best you could buy at $1.30 a gal. but then the gov. said you had to have the short hose of red dye in it. so it could not be used in deasil trucks. we still use one when it gets so cold the wood - coal stove can not do the job.
    Red dye Kero makes them smell. Once you use dyed kero you have to change the wick to keep it from stinking.

I was just given 25gal of Clear kero

Boolit Master
    I used a kerosene heater for years. It was a smaller box type with a wick. It worked like the tall round ones but smaller and it was rectangle in shape . It never smelled while on. It only smelled when you turned it off and when lighting it. It gave out awesome heat. Had to replace the wick about every three or four years. Instead of turning it off to refill I got a 5 gallon can that I had my kerosene in and one of the pumper siphoned hoses and filled it without shutting it off making a smell. 5 gallons would last one week. Every Saturday I would go a mile away to the coop store and get another 5 gallons. The price of kerosene got so high now it almost isint worth it. The construction and sheet rock guys used the long tube jet engine type heaters and they can smell. But they put out massive amount of heat quick.

Boolit Master

I have been heating for more than 15 years with Kero heaters. They are so much more efficient than many other appliances and so they are much less expensive than other methods. I burn at least one and usually two from November through March every year. Some things I have learned are to let it burn itself out every third or fourth tank. That helps clean the wick. As soon as you have issues with the burn being low even thought the tank is full, its a good sign that its time to change the wick. If you keep it clean a wick that gets burned daily can last a couple of heating seasons. I have had them go longer. I stock wicks as they are a maintenance item especially if you get a bad batch of fuel.

I have Kero in storage that is more than 15 years old and still burns fine. 1K should store forever, and so far my experience says it will. Add NOTHING to the fuel, ever. If you do, prepare to change the wick, this I have learned the hard way. I see no difference in clear or red dye Kero. Clear makes me feel better (you can look at it in a clear glass jar to check for water), but it all burns the same and the wicks don't see a difference either as far as I can see. In ten years of buying mostly red-dye fuel (local place used to sell clear), I think at the end of last year I got some water in a batch. Changed wicks in two heaters and back in business. I did buy the Mister Funnel water separator to see if it works, but have only used it a very short time and for now won't recommend it because I'm not sure it works or not. Cheap insurance? Maybe but again after 15 years (maybe more) I MIGHT have had some water but can't prove it. Pretty good record so far I guess.

There are some down-sides. A by-product of un-vented heaters that burn hydrocarbons is water, so between that and the fact that it does burn oxygen, some ventilation is needed. My house was built in 1950 so the vents are kind of built in...

Burning kero heaters is not for everyone, but for me it works quite well. Miles Stair is THE place for wicks, and he ships quick. Just sharing my experience from burning them a lot.
    Last edited by jrayborn; 10-09-2019 at 09:19 PM.

My 2, Anytime You burn oil of any sort, It's going to make Carbon Monoxide, Which if not vented will build up amounts that will kill You.

Banned
    Carbon Monoxide is dangerous; so is molten lead, smokeless powder, black powder, guns, knives, electricity, vehicles, alcohol and a bunch of other things.

People heated and illuminated structures with fire long before they even knew what CO was. Bad things can happen and sometimes do happen but a little bit of respect and knowledge goes a long way.

I wouldn't lock myself in a shipping container with a kerosene heater but I also wouldn't test the temperature of my molten lead by sticking my finger in the pot.

Only time I use a kerosene heater is in the shooting shack at the club. Takes the chill of nicely.

Only problem is the member who runs it completely out of fuel then complains. In the membership meeting.

I've told him it's not the club's heater and that it's my kerosene going into, doesn't even faze him. Somebody else is supposed to keep it filled for him.

I just put in enough for me while I'm there. Reminds me, I need to find my kerosene jug and fill it up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12