Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Paper hulls for BP and shot.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Paper hulls for BP and shot.

Last year I bought an old 16ga double barrel shotgun. It’s in perfect shape for being easy over a hundred years old. I have it for a wall hanger, but would like to shoot it sometime. I came across some old 16g paper hulls, that are really cheap. I’ve never used paper hulls before, let alone with BP. Are they reusable? Any reason I shouldn’t try these out?

I’ve thought about getting some brass ones and cutting them down to the right length, but I already have too many gun projects to get into another. I just want something simple.

Thanks for all advice on this subject.

I've reloaded many paper shotgun hulls back in the day. If they are not new you have to check the base wad to see if it is in good shape and all there. The wall will also burn through right above the brass. Check for pin holes.
    They cannot be reloaded as many times as AA's. It was hard to get more than 3 or 4 times out of them. They crimp nice.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The ones I am looking at are old but never used. They are primed and I wonder how good the primers are after all this time? How long ago did they stop making paper hulls?

The last ones I bought were the Federal Trap loads back in late 60's, early 70's. I had bought several cases and the grandkids just finished shooting them all up. So I would guess that the primers are ok but you could check some and if they are not they are easily removed.