Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Taurus Vs S&W

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I've never owned a Taurus. Never will.
    I think that S&W quality has deteriorated to the point where Taurus is becoming viable. I still won't buy a Taurus.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I think that S&W quality has deteriorated to the point where Taurus is becoming viable. I still won't buy a Taurus.
    I would buy neither a current S&W nor a Taurus, and will restate the wisdom imparted to me by Sandy Garrett of NoVA Gun works that:

"an old gun that works is worth more than a new one that doesn't."
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I think Taurus could right the ship if they would just quit coming out with new models at too good to be true prices, and just focus on proven products that have been around forever and sell well. They also need to realize that there are some categories of guns that they will never be competitive in. Full size poly autoloaders for one thing. How many different ones have they introduced in the past 20 years? The only one that anybody has ever given a hoot about is the subcompact Millenium Pro. All others (24/7, 809, whatever they are pushing nowadays) are dead in the water and no one will ever care about them.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Bub
    Many years of experience with both, both as a customer and dealer. I have sent ten times as many Tauri back for serious quality problems as Smiths. Problem is, Taurus didn't fix sixty percent of the guns I sent in. They also lie about what they agree to do. Judge is ill-designed, poorly supported and a joke. Throats average .010" over bore size and the guns lead horribly. Send one back with specific instructions (which they agreed to follow per phone) and you will get the gun back with the note "adjusted timing".
    One personal gun has been great, a .17 Tracker. Small frame .22s are notoriously poorly timed and heavy in the trigger. Large frames, pretty fair. Autos, overall good. Several PT1911s had feed problems.
    I kept my .17. I am keeping all my Smiths. Only one I have trouble is a 63 that galls and needs polished up after 18 or so rounds. (Third one like that).

The only Taurus handguns I have kept are a couple of PT92 9mm pistols.
    Taurus didn't develop these on their own. They bought the factory, machinery, and hired the personnel from Beretta. Many of the Beretta parts will interchange.
    Mine are thoroughly reliable.
    The only thing I changed on them is the barrel. I swapped in Beretta barrels and the groups got much better with cast.
    Mine have been trouble free for thousands of rounds.

Moderator Emeritus

S&w 625 jm

One of the recently made S&W revolvers I have owned, 625 JM, shown below.
    I wasn't happy with the loose grips, as well as getting moon clips of ammo to drop in.
    There are a couple other things I dislike as well.
    BUT...I took it to the range yesterday, and I had a good shooting session, and now I think I like it...shooting it without Moons.

Attachment 250465
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    The only Taurus handguns I have kept are a couple of PT92 9mm pistols.
    Taurus didn't develop these on their own. They bought the factory, machinery, and hired the personnel from Beretta. Many of the Beretta parts will interchange.
    Mine are thoroughly reliable.
    The only thing I changed on them is the barrel. I swapped in Beretta barrels and the groups got much better with cast.
    Mine have been trouble free for thousands of rounds.
    I once spent an afternoon at the range with a Knox County TN sheriff's deputy who let me shoot his Taurus 92. It seemed about equal to the issue Berettas I had in the Army National Guard. Still miss the Gummint 1911's though.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I think Taurus could right the ship if they would just quit coming out with new models at too good to be true prices, and just focus on proven products that have been around forever and sell well. They also need to realize that there are some categories of guns that they will never be competitive in. Full size poly autoloaders for one thing. How many different ones have they introduced in the past 20 years? The only one that anybody has ever given a hoot about is the subcompact Millenium Pro. All others (24/7, 809, whatever they are pushing nowadays) are dead in the water and no one will ever care about them.

Think they may have listened Ferguson!

When the new management took over a few years back, their main objectives were to make good on the lawsuit surrounding the 24/7 series, scrapping all models that had a high rate of return and focus on the reminding models. They parred it down to the G2 series (old pt111), the TH9 (formerly the PT809) and the 738. Plus wheelguns and the wonderful PT99.

Everyone can live in the pass and complain about Taurus, but they are in the game to win. They are putting out slimmer and more refined pistols than ever before. Now if they would just open up sales of their magazines!

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    I once spent an afternoon at the range with a Knox County TN sheriff's deputy who let me shoot his Taurus 92. It seemed about equal to the issue Berettas I had in the Army National Guard. Still miss the Gummint 1911's though.
    Wayne
    I like the 1911 pistols better as well. I had the PT92 pistols first, though and want to keep them.
    One of the reasons is the safeties on the PT92 works in the same manner as the 1911 does where the Beretta 92FS works backwards.
    I want to be able to run my pistols without having to think about which gun I happen to be using when a bad situation comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    Think they may have listened Ferguson!

When the new management took over a few years back, their main objectives were to make good on the lawsuit surrounding the 24/7 series, scrapping all models that had a high rate of return and focus on the reminding models. They parred it down to the G2 series (old pt111), the TH9 (formerly the PT809) and the 738. Plus wheelguns and the wonderful PT99.

Everyone can live in the pass and complain about Taurus, but they are in the game to win. They are putting out slimmer and more refined pistols than ever before. Now if they would just open up sales of their magazines!

Lefty
    The Taurus small frame revolvers sell really well around here, even in shops that refuse to carry other Taurus products.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I have a Taurus 85 and I like mine. It's shot hundreds of 38+P rounds without a hiccup. My only complaint has been the weight. Its the 2" model but its all steel....so its just a touch on the heavy side for my liking. Otherwise...its been a great carry gun.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    I have a Taurus 85 and I like mine. It's shot hundreds of 38+P rounds without a hiccup. My only complaint has been the weight. Its the 2" model but its all steel....so its just a touch on the heavy side for my liking. Otherwise...its been a great carry gun.

redhawk
    The model 85 is probably the one gun Taurus got right. Some of the old model 82's were also good.
    I've seen a lot of high mileage Taurus model 85's that just keep working year after year.

The 856 seems to be getting more popular, my local shop has sold quite a few of them with very few complaints. I imagine an 856 will find it's way into my battery at some point, since Ruger and S&W have zilch interest in making a carry size .38 with six rounds.

Boolit Master

The 856 is a feather in Taurus’ hat! I have one of the older ones and it’s beat and scratched from pocket carry and glovebox use. Still throws DEWCs in the ten ring at 15 yards!

You won’t regret getting one! I’m about to put a new one in layaway soon.

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123