RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taurus Vs S&W

Boolit Grand Master
    I just bought a new S&W Model 642-1 revolver. It appears to be PERFECT. Hoping to give it a test drive within the next few days.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Bub
    There are too many good used S&Ws and Rugers to consider a Taurus at any price other than free.

Chris

I have owned several Taurus Raging Bulls in .44mag and a couple of their Tracker models in .357mag, all functioned flawlessly and were quite accurate. However, I have also owned several of their rimfire revolvers in .22lr and .17hmr and every one of them turned out to be garbage. To say that Taurus customer service is bad would be a huge understatement.
    "The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue."

"I don't always listen to Black Sabbath,But when I do so do the neighbors."

Boolit Master

As a former gunshop partner and manager I stopped buying Taurus to sell do to the problems they had and could not/would not fix.

S&W in their worst years were still 100% above Taurus. You get what you pay for.

Boolit Master

One thing to keep in mind buying Taurus. Taurus likes to hype the lifetime warranty but it’s very expensive shipping to their Florida location. I discovered it was cheaper to have my FFL’s $20.00 fee plus USPS Priority postage than to pay FedEx’s ridiculous overnight rate. Unless things have changed Fedex will only ship a handgun from a non dealer by overnight. Going through FFL it can be returned directly to you.

Friend shipped his revolver to Florida from Arizona and Fedex charged him over $50.00. Can’t recall what the part was he needed but Taurus would not sell it directly to him. He had to have it repaired by one of Taurus’ approved gunsmiths or send it to Taurus.

I had a real nightmare dealing with Taurus service. The rear sight on an older 9MM auto cracked. Sights are not covered by their warranty. My first attempt their computers were down and they couldn’t process bank card payment. Rep on phone said he would try it later and if there was a problem he’d call me back. I followed up about three weeks later and was told it wasn’t shipped because my card failed. When I mentioned I was told I’d get a return call. The rep said “oh we don’t do that”.

Long story short Taurus sent the wrong part three times. The third attempt I sent photos and the sight which was in two pieces after I removed it. Taurus sent me four sights, none which would work. Being sincerely pissed off I called demanding a manager, not somebody claiming to be a manager. Got a woman who obviously had little gun knowledge but understood the problem. Told me she would look into it and call me back which she did apx 30 minutes later. She told me Taurus no longer manufacturers the same rear sight and the clerk sent me variety hoping something might fit. She said the part I needed was very close to a drift adjustable 1911 rear sight and asked me to try it. The only difference was the 1911 sight was slightly longer. About five minutes with a file, black oxided the shiny ends and I was finally in business. Took five try’s and about two months of back and forth.

About 4-5 months ago I was spammed by Taurus selling grips. Long story short my dog got ahold of my 38 and chewed the wood grips. I ordered a new set of grips and sure enough they sent the wrong ones. The grips fit so I kept them.

Friend had a similar problem ordering spare mags for his 45ACP, 24/7 OSS model. There was a very slight difference in the OSS mags from the standard 24/7. Sure enough Taurus sent the wrong mags. Following my advice he sent photos and eventually got the correct mags. He lucked out as his card was debited for the lower cost 9MM, 24/7 standard mags.

In summary, Taurus’ service SUX!!

Boolit Master

I've heard so many stories over the years about problems with Taurus guns that I am leery of them. I also understand that there's no way they could stay in business if everything they sold was junk. So, you take your chances, and it appears that in general some products are better than others. That's why I kicked myself for not buying a used .357 at a show. I looked up reviews on that model online, and found it was an older gun with generally very good reviews, figured it was worth a chance, but it was already sold.

I can understand if you've been burned with a bad one never wanting to take another chance on one. Then again, for many average gun buyers a box of ammo will last decades, and their accuracy expectations are very low, so they may never even notice flaws.

It's kind of like Heritage Rough Rider revolvers. A lot of people love them, but I'll never buy another. A brand new gun that's clearly defective from the start, and they want $50 to even look at it? No thanks. Doesn't mean they're all junk. Most of them might be great guns, but a bad one spoils it for me. Oh yeah, Heritage is owned by Taurus.

I still would have bought that old Taurus .357 though...

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The one and only time I had to use Taurus warranty was for a Rossi 461 with a yawning barrel to cylinder gap. I fully expected them to send it back with a note that said it was within specs and no problem found. To my surprise, they replaced both barrel and cylinder and now that little wheelgun has a tight .003 gap and will easily keep up with my S&W and Ruger .38's. Of course, that is only one experience and the Rossi revolvers made their exit awhile ago.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I’ve sent more pistols back to Ruger and Colt and S&W and Sig than I ever have to Taurus.

My only problem with a Taurus is magazine availability. Seems that they do use Mec Gar mags, but doesn’t allow MC to sell all models under their own brand. And that is frustrating. As a self admitted magazine *****, I get twitchy if I don’t have a Source of magazines.

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

USMC 77, USRA 79

i cant speak to Taurus Slide guns, but my main carry model 44 is just the perfect bear gun. ported so it makes lots of noise, easier to stay on target with heavy loads, diddnt cost me an arm or leg 20 years ago, works flawlessly, eats the lee 310's for lunch and doesnt punish my wrist from a box of shells. sold my shiny model 29 after it started collecting dust years ago. Now my son carrys the same thing in 357... whats not to like.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	249885

yes I have read the horror stories and such just like everybody, but I bought mine new in the box over 20 years ago, and actually carry mine pretty religiously 7 months out of the year through the muck, salt, brush, under the damp seat, with waders fishing and hunting, mushroom picking, and clam digging. i simply love my Model 44. Its been Alaskan Sturdy for over 20 years and counting. my son's new 357 looks to be cut from the same cloth.

no, it not a shiny Mdl 29, but its a great tool, one that you will use and will serve you and I dont mind getting mine dirty.

hope this helps...

marko
    Last edited by Markopolo; 10-18-2019 at 10:05 AM.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Seems like you have the best results with Taurus models that have been around forever, mostly wheelguns.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

If you're into shooting double action, S&W is the only game in town because of the non stacking trigger and the quick reset. And, as someone here pointed out. With so many used older S&W's out there, why buy a Taurus?

S&W is the standard that revolvers are compared too and the new ones that I've shot, were good as it gets...
    Last edited by gnostic; 10-22-2019 at 04:33 PM.

I have a Taurus 85 feather weight stainless and a mod.60 S&W. The looks are very simular and they shoot equal. The Taurus , for some reason, will misfire from time to time. I carry the Taurus because it in lighter and cheaper. If I loose it I'm not out as much. It is a tossup . Just about money on this one.
    I have had 2 Taurus Mod 92 carbines. 45 Colt and 357 Mag. Both great well made rifles.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I don't own any S&Ws made after 1989, or any Colts made after 1972.

I don't care for them. I regularly shoot both Colts and S&Ws that are over 100 years old and that are still accurate and reliable. I also have no trouble getting them worked on professionally, although the number of factory-trained gunsmiths who still do Colts is a shrinking number. Sandy Garrett at NoVA Gun Works does mine.

I don't know of a single practicing professional gunsmith who will even work on a Taurus.

That speaks volumes. The best advice I ever got from Sandy was that "an old gun that works is worth more than a new gun that doesn't."

To the fellow who claims that a Taurus is all he can afford, I ask, "Do you also drive a Yugo?"
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    That little 642-1 in 38 Special +P was a delight to shoot on Friday (10/18). No hitches in its git-along whatsoever, 50 boringly reliable rounds downrange at 15 and 25 yards. The tiny OEM pocket grip set did me few favors, but I kept the 6" dinger-plate singing a merry tune at both distances. 90% hit rate @ 15 yards, 75% at 25. Too much fun. If the Pachmayr Compacs will pocket-carry unobtrusively, I will be a happy camper. They are due here on 10/24.

I doubled-down on new S&Ws last week, and snagged a Performance Center stainless Model 625. I got to hold hands with it on Saturday (10/19) at the toy store where it remains pending release on parole on or about 11/5. One gun every 30 days, don'cha know? I feel safer already.

I understand Outpost 75's preference for pre-89 S&Ws and pre-72 Colts. The preponderance of my examples in both makes fit that description as well. And YES, there are a few older S&W revolvers of the "small hammerless 38" and "large 45 ACP/AR revolver" type out there, scarce--expensive--and largely unavailable to me in California. The 642 and the 625 can be bought here pretty easily. Both are VERY well-made as best I can tell (that trigger on the 625 is EXQUISITE in both modes). Are they as nicely made and finished as an early 1960s S&W or Colt? Possibly not, but they are a dern sight nicer than ANY Tauri and I won't have to finish building/finishing them like a few Rugers that I own. I made myself happy by purchasing them and via enjoyment of the little 38 afield. That's what matters to me.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Not to ruffle any feathers, but this isn’t even a comparison. I’ve had a “good” Taurus 607, but my 627 blows it out of the water. From fit and finish to the warranty if ever needed. Too many people worry about the lock. I’ve not had an issue with them. If you don’t like it, there are delete kits. The trigger is much better, and there is a better aftermarket support for the Smith. If I want a cheaper than Smith revolver, that is what a Ruger is for. My GP100 in 10mm was purchased as an alternative to the Smith, before the redux of the 610 came out. I’ll keep the GP100 since I already own it at a fraction of the 610, thanks to internet shopping

Banned
    Al, thanks for the update on the 642.

I am also a fan of the older S&W revolvers and I have no problem laying my money down for a good example. (it would be better if I had more of a problem laying my money down - but that's another story).

I formerly played in the Taurus sandbox. I left that sandbox many years ago and I will not return. I hear people speak of good Taurus handguns and I've owned a few good Taurus pistols and revolvers myself. However, I've encountered enough bad Taurus handguns (some mine and some owned by others) that I am done with Taurus. It's just not worth it !

I had long separated from Taurus when a friend showed up with a Taurus pistol. It was a brand new pistol chambered in 9mm. It was junk when it was new and it remained junk after several sessions at the range. It wouldn't reliability function with a variety of ammo, including factory loaded 115gr FMJ. It wouldn't hold less than a 12" group before I tightened up the rear sight (loose right out of the box) and it only got slightly better after the sight was fixed. Any thoughts I had concerning the possibility that Taurus had got their act together were eliminated. He traded that gun for an inexpensive Ruger and the replacement was a fine gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    There are too many good used S&Ws and Rugers to consider a Taurus at any price other than free.
    Chris
    I expect that unless one is a person who always hangs on to whatever revolver they ever get; if you try to trade a Taurus, you will get poor mouthed to death on the trade. I never owned a Taurus, but about 40 years ago I owned a Dan Wesson, and just barely got out of trying to trade it off alive. That broke me from ever getting into the secondary level of gun buying or trading - Dan Wesson, Taurus, etc. On the other hand, I don't think I will ever buy or trade for a Smith with the Hillary Hole.

USMC 77, USRA 79

whats a "Hillary Hole"??? something you buy off the Dark Web???
    I guess I need to get out more?
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    whats a "Hillary Hole"??? something you buy off the Dark Web???
    I guess I need to get out more?
    That's the lock, it's easy to turn your nose up at the new S&W's if you've got a dozen of the earlier guns. The S&W new or otherwise is still always a good choice. For single action shooting, the Rugers are as good as any...

Boolit Master

I’ve never really understood the whole buy/sell/trade thing. It’s a game I don’t like to play. I tend to think about it and research for a while before buying what I want, then just keep it forever (unless it’s something I just end up hating). I don’t remember when I last sold a gun, and don’t think I’ve ever traded one. I have given away a couple though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast