Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: How many times can I

Boolit Bub

How many times can I

Just wondering how many times I can reuse my 300 WM brass? I know it depends on how hot the loads are, but just kind looking for a general number.
    Last edited by Pighunter; 10-07-2019 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Master
    I would venture to say anywhere from 4 to 10. Could be more if you anneal them every now and then. Also depends on how big the chamber neck is cut and how much you resize. And, yes, it can depend on the brass mfg.

Boolit Master
    Are usually go with about eight times . Like you said depends on loads, quality of brass, caliber, etc. but the closest I use for a general rule of thumb is eight times.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    some of mine split at 3-4, never annealed

Moderator Emeritus

Pighunter -- There are myriads of variables, including even the manufacturer of your brass. I have included here a chart with some manufacturer's alloy -- numbers are in percentages -- for you to see this. Another variable is the chamber size of the firearm you are employing, not to take for granted its head-space. (As well as variables you aptly mentioned).
    Attachment 249378
    Steel gets softer as it is worked -- e.g., bend a paper clip -- while just the opposite phenomena occurs with brass. Each and every time you work (e.g., fire) a round, the brass is expanded, then shrinks a tad as it cools. We then put it on the reloading press and exercise it more. For this reason, I'm a firm believer and do-er of annealing. For military loads in .30-'06, I anneal mine every third shooting, and generally retire the brass after its ninth. Before I began annealing, I'd get a modal four firings.
    Toooooo many variables to answer your question with much more than a "(slightly) educated guess". I hope this helps. I will add that, after you shoot some, I surely will enjoy your hopeful posting your actual experiences.
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Bub
    Great information, Thank you all.

Boolit Master
    How completely you resize has another big effect. I size my cases minimally, meaning I can't close the bolt with my index finger, but my thumb closes it easily. In other words, size for the shoulder length, don't always size to the bottom of the resizing die. My cases usually fail due to cracked necks, not separation above the web.

It's the primer pocket that goes first. When the primer seats easy, I toss them...

Boolit Buddy
    I reload bottlenecked rifle cases from 6 to 10 times. Straight wall cases...a lot. I'm still using the 200 PMC .44 magnum cases that I bought with my 1st Ruger Blackhawk in 1982. Lose a case to split neck once in a while, but still going strong. Anneal every 3 or 4 loadings and brass will last a lot longer. Size the cases to your rifle's chamber, don't just "cam over" on the press. I only partially re-size revolver cases, full resize pistol cases.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.