Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: 1911 vs. Texas LEO Handgun Qualification Course

Boolit Buddy

1911 vs. Texas LEO Handgun Qualification Course

Hi all! In this week's installment, I'm pitting "Ole' Slab Sides" against a course from the Lone Star State. I hope you all enjoy it, and be sure to let me know your thoughts!

Howard

Nice to see the 1911 represented here.
    I get the feeling you don't shoot your 1911 as much as your other handguns.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Nice to see the 1911 represented here.
    I get the feeling you don't shoot your 1911 as much as your other handguns.
    No, probably not, but that isn't due to lack of desire just lack of time!

Howard

Boolit Master
    The time allotments on that course of fire seem “generous”. I noticed there was quite a bit of time between your last shot and the second beep. I do think weak hand shooting should be included in a qualifying course. I have found that if I lock my left arm and wrist (I’m a righty) and index the pistol to the right using my dominate to shoot, my accuracy is better. You did a good job and I’ve enjoyed this series

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you. I do the same thing when shooting weak hand. If you notice my shooting in those stages, the pistol is canted to the right for just that reason.

Howard

Boolit Master
    I was a law enforcement officer and carried the 1911. It had the best trigger I could find on a service pistol, the Chief told me I couldn’t carry my Colt’s Single Action Army .45. I put an active shooter down with a hit from my 1911. IDent measured to distance as 82 to 84 yards.

The Chief who told me I couldn’t carry a SAA said he could carry his on duty.

Had a buddy that was a cop and his dept. wouldn't let them carry a SAA either.
    Their reason was you couldn't reload it fast enough compared to a auto, or swing out cylinder revolver.

I watched him go through their qualification course and with the loading gate open,
    he could shoot, eject & reload as the chamber with the empty came around.
    Shooting left handed, and holding the 6 fresh cartridges in his mouth,
    he could do it, have a decent score, and be under the time limit for the 12 shot rapid fire-reload part.

But as a dept. policy, they figured a SAA as a duty weapon just wasn't practical for the average Officer in the big city.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 10-08-2019 at 12:53 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    I was a law enforcement officer and carried the 1911. It had the best trigger I could find on a service pistol, the Chief told me I couldn’t carry my Colt’s Single Action Army .45. I put an active shooter down with a hit from my 1911. IDent measured to distance as 82 to 84 yards.

The Chief who told me I couldn’t carry a SAA said he could carry his on duty.
    Nice shot! I'm glad you stopped that guy!

Howard

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Had a buddy that was a cop and his dept. wouldn't let them carry a SAA either.
    Their reason was you couldn't reload it fast enough compared to a auto, or swing out cylinder revolver.

I watched him go through their qualification course and with the loading gate open,
    he could shoot, eject & reload as the chamber with the empty came around.
    Shooting left handed, and holding the 6 fresh cartridges in his mouth,
    he could do it, have a decent score, and be under the time limit for the 12 shot rapid fire-reload part.

But as a dept. policy, they figured a SAA as a duty weapon just wasn't practical for the average Officer in the big city.
    You know? I couldn't figure out why this course didn't have a time limit for the reload. I never considered the idea that it might have been designed that way to accommodate shooters using a Colt SAA.

Howard

Boolit Master

I really enjoy your channel Howard, especially this series and any video with a Garand.
    Keep 'em coming!
    SEMPER FI!!

Banned
    Years ago I met a sheriff that carried a SAA chambered in .44-40 as his duty weapon. That was entirely publicity stunt type of behavior and done to add to his image more than anything else.

In Virginia the sheriff has to get elected but he doesn't have to qualify, so it didn't really matter.
    I don't know if Texas removed the time limits from the reloading stage of their course to accommodate users of single action revolvers. If you're going to evaluate someone's ability to reload, a time limit should be part of that test.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by avogunner View Post
    I really enjoy your channel Howard, especially this series and any video with a Garand.
    Keep 'em coming!
    SEMPER FI!!
    Will do! Thanks for watching!

Howard

P.S. If you're in the mood for an M1A/M14 video, I have one premiering tomorrow!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Years ago I met a sheriff that carried a SAA chambered in .44-40 as his duty weapon. That was entirely publicity stunt type of behavior and done to add to his image more than anything else.

In Virginia the sheriff has to get elected but he doesn't have to qualify, so it didn't really matter.
    I don't know if Texas removed the time limits from the reloading stage of their course to accommodate users of single action revolvers. If you're going to evaluate someone's ability to reload, a time limit should be part of that test.
    Sorry, I was thinking about another course when I posted that comment about Texas not having a time limit for reloading. The Texas course actually does have a time limit, albeit a generous one!

Howard

Boolit Master
    Two weekends ago while visiting my son who works for a right of way company in College Station, Texas said some counties do not have records on computer so you have to go to the courthouse and actually look through the record books for information. He told me he will occasionally see older lawmen still carrying a Colt SSA.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LIMPINGJ View Post
    Two weekends ago while visiting my son who works for a right of way company in College Station, Texas said some counties do not have records on computer so you have to go to the courthouse and actually look through the record books for information. He told me he will occasionally see older lawmen still carrying a Colt SSA.
    Something about that is making me smile.

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Hrfunk View Post
    Sorry, I was thinking about another course when I posted that comment about Texas not having a time limit for reloading. The Texas course actually does have a time limit, albeit a generous one!Howard
    Don't have a clue what their qualification course is now.
    The guy worked for Dallas, and this was in the 1970's.
    At the time the Dept. issued a 4" S&W .38Spec.

You could provide your own service weapon as long as it was a Colt or S&W, .38cal.,,,,, or larger.
    And of course, you had to pass the annual qualification course with it, that was sort of engineered for swing out cylinders and a speed loader.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Man
    I know a Reserve Deputy in SE Texas who still carries a Single Action occasionally , a Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt. He provides security for the Judicial Center. He joined the Marines in 1945 and was sent to China. I would not mess with him.

I qualified with my Colt 1911 made in 1917. It was my fathers weapon and I was honored to have inherited it and used it along with military ball ammo. It was a happy Day for me.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.