Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autumn Olive Berries

Boolit Master

Autumn Olive Berries

Anyone harvesting these right now?
    I picked about 2.5 gallons over the last couple days and I’m wondering if anyone has any good recipes. I’m planning on making jam with all of them as of right now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9D61638D-9E33-473F-902D-A1C29274D5B7.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	249353

Boolit Buddy
    I use them for making wine. Makes into a nice table wine, but it's an aquired taste.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by webfoot10 View Post
    I use them for making wine. Makes into a nice table wine, but it's an aquired taste.
    Ohhh nice. Do you have a recipe?

Boolit Master
    My mind is on digging "the root", or as some say, "sang", as well as scouting for our deer hunting.

You have good times though!

Looks like something else that takes time & is worth doing! Doing anything out in the woods is a good thing, & better than watching a TV, IMO! Get some!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

I let the grouse eat them, then shoot the grouse and cook in a pot of solider beans YUM!!

Boolit Buddy
    Never heard of these. Interesting

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Invasive species here, they would be sprayed so no way would I eat them unless I found a patch in the middle of the woods...

Boolit Master

IMO Best to KILL the plants
    As a kid , I helped Dad plant several thousand plants
    The Feds and Ohio gave us the plants and payed us ( sort of ) to plant them

Then as the years passed the Autumn Olive plants showed just how that was a mistake and turned into a nasty Weed
    Birds eat the berries and spread them everywhere

Once started in a area , really , REALLY tough to kill them off

The only way Dad and I were able to get rid of most of the plants was to pull each bush out with a tractor
    Then use Spike tree killer several times

But in some areas of my place the bushes are starting to take over again

So the berries might be good to eat , but the bushes have a nasty dark side

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Banned

Never heard of them?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Johnch View Post
    IMO Best to KILL the plants
    As a kid , I helped Dad plant several thousand plants
    The Feds and Ohio gave us the plants and payed us ( sort of ) to plant them

Then as the years passed the Autumn Olive plants showed just how that was a mistake and turned into a nasty Weed
    Birds eat the berries and spread them everywhere

Once started in a area , really , REALLY tough to kill them off

The only way Dad and I were able to get rid of most of the plants was to pull each bush out with a tractor
    Then use Spike tree killer several times

But in some areas of my place the bushes are starting to take over again

So the berries might be good to eat , but the bushes have a nasty dark side

John
    So what is the actual dark side? Just that they grow rampant with no end in sight? Is it that they take over areas and kill off other trees by robbing nutrients?
    It seems they only stay on the edge of the woods in the full sunlight.
    I don't live in an area where they're seen as a nuisance and I've always wondered about invasive species of plants that actually bare fruit like the Japanese wine berries. They may grow like mad but I don't really see it is a bad thing. Now if it was poison ivy or even something like bamboo that doesn't really have a benefit and grows super fast and is very hard to remove then I could see the problem.
    I just always saw fruit baring trees and bushes and a good thing, even better when theres a lot of them.
    I was just discussing this with my brother and we were wondering what the draw back was. Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    They make an excellent jelly and good for fruit leather.
    Birds go crazy for them I have seen turkeys jumping up to harvest the higher growing berries....Quite a sight
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    Ohhh nice. Do you have a recipe?
    Just pick a couple of bushels of the ripe berries, ( make sure that they are not sprayed)
    If you have a cider press dump the berries and press out the juice. If no press just mash
    them up into pulp and dump the juice into a wire strainer to remove the seeds. I dump the
    pulp into a clean cotton towel to remove most of the pulp. You will need two gals of juice.
    Now the recipe, You will need a couple of the 5 gal containers that bottled water comes in.
    Scald these out with boiling water to kill any bacteria. To each container dump two qt's of
    berry juice, For each qt of juice add 4 qts of spring water, 2 qts juice+8 qts water, Well
    water will work if it is all you got. Now you have to add 5 to 10 lbs of sugar, I mix the
    sugar with boiling water to make a syrup, Pour the syrup into the container and mix well
    with the juice/water mix. Now the container should be darn near full. Now cap the container
    and shake till the sugar is pretty well desolved. Now take a packet of yeast used for baking
    and mix with a little warm water and add to the juice/water mix. cap and shake again.
    Put a air cap on and put in a cellar or any cool place, In a few days it will start to bubble,
    the yeast is starting to work on the sugar. It will take a while for the wine to ferment.
    Takes about 8 to 9 months till its ready. If you have room in the container and want a
    stronger wine add a little more juice. If you like sweeter wine add more sugar.
    This recipe will work with any fruit, same mixture. Have fun. BTW burn the seeds of
    to russian/olive so they won't start growing, Don't throw them into a mulch pile, You'll
    be sorry.
    webfoot10

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by webfoot10 View Post
    Just pick a couple of bushels of the ripe berries, ( make sure that they are not sprayed)
    If you have a cider press dump the berries and press out the juice. If no press just mash
    them up into pulp and dump the juice into a wire strainer to remove the seeds. I dump the
    pulp into a clean cotton towel to remove most of the pulp. You will need two gals of juice.
    Now the recipe, You will need a couple of the 5 gal containers that bottled water comes in.
    Scald these out with boiling water to kill any bacteria. To each container dump two qt's of
    berry juice, For each qt of juice add 4 qts of spring water, 2 qts juice+8 qts water, Well
    water will work if it is all you got. Now you have to add 5 to 10 lbs of sugar, I mix the
    sugar with boiling water to make a syrup, Pour the syrup into the container and mix well
    with the juice/water mix. Now the container should be darn near full. Now cap the container
    and shake till the sugar is pretty well desolved. Now take a packet of yeast used for baking
    and mix with a little warm water and add to the juice/water mix. cap and shake again.
    Put a air cap on and put in a cellar or any cool place, In a few days it will start to bubble,
    the yeast is starting to work on the sugar. It will take a while for the wine to ferment.
    Takes about 8 to 9 months till its ready. If you have room in the container and want a
    stronger wine add a little more juice. If you like sweeter wine add more sugar.
    This recipe will work with any fruit, same mixture. Have fun. BTW burn the seeds of
    to russian/olive so they won't start growing, Don't throw them into a mulch pile, You'll
    be sorry.
    webfoot10
    Awesome I might have to get together with my brother in law and try this recipe out.

Yeah I hear some people that hate the trees like to make jams and such just to take the seeds and remove them from the area.

Boolit Grand Master

You guys must be up north. Here in zone 8A they are still green. Any idea when they ripen here? I thought I'd pick a few and make a liquor.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    You guys must be up north. Here in zone 8A they are still green. Any idea when they ripen here? I thought I'd pick a few and make a liquor.
    Just have to wait till the berries turn a dark red. This goofy weather has even the plants screwed
    up. I have not found any berries around here this year. Places that used to be loaded don't
    have any berries this year. Got a lot of the russian olive bushes here but not a sign of fruit
    this year. I live in the state of corruption (RI) where every thing is screwed up.

Boolit Master

We had a couple of bush's but they winter killed. Maybe they are considered invasive to some but NONE can compare with BUCKTHORN !!!!!Another fruit we grow is Sea Holly, tons of berries, any of you use them?

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Never heard of them?
    Their common name is "Russian Olive", but their "Official name" is "Canadian Silverberry".

And I cannot imagine someone from Minnesota considering them an "Invasive Species". Their natural range is the entire northern Hemisphere's Temperate zone.

They are a common weed (a weed being defined as any plant growing where you don't want it) here in Pennsylvania, usually competing with the Honeysuckle and Blackberry & Black Raspberry!

Boolit Master
    Autum Olive is not the same species as Russian Olive.

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Before you go too far in this endeavor - try EATING some of the berries.

I planted a few based on recommendations - then tasted them... Yuck! I have since picked berries about a dozen times to try out... Yuck! Definitely spitters. They don't have that much flavor but are quite astringent.

I tried cooking them once but the astringency didn't cook out like it will in old fashioned bitter pears or quinces....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast