Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my 1897 pump a takedown model?

Is my 1897 pump a takedown model?

I just bought this a few hours ago. I've been thinking about it since the last gun show... So i came home with it today. It's a 16 gauge trap, model, deluxe wood. I just need to know if it's take down also? I paid alot for it!
    Note that it's missing the pin in the mag tube. There's a hole right through the end of it.
    Mag tube rotates by hand but the gun doesn't fall apart when I pull the pump forward. Il try posting pictures from my phone...
    http://imgur.com/a/qPvQ4a1

Boolit Buddy
    Yes it's a take down. It should come apart just like a model 12

I looked at videos. I twist the tube, but when I try to pull, nothing moves...

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

97s and 12s can be rough to get apart after years of use with never being broke down. I have one that is a very late gun and near mint shape. Mag tube turned and freed but I couldn't budge barrel unit. I ended up giving it
    several shots of PB blaster over a few days and finally was able to rotate it 1/4 turn and remove it. The guns that have been apart a lot are usually easy to get apart. I would apply some penetrating oil at reciever and reciever extension point and let it set, repeat if it doesn't come loose, and a little where mag tube enters reciever extension. I can't see pic off gun to say anything further.

I pull as hard as I can on the damn mag tube and nothing happens. It looks like the gun has never been taken apart. It doesn't have any scratches on the barrel from the mag tube bracket or anything.

Boolit Master

Read drm50 post.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Unless its Very dirty - or broken, dont take it apart. I only took down my 97 once in 20 years just to see if I could. It wasn't worth the effort. Sounds like yours is tight and tight is good. 97s are cool old machines.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Unless its Very dirty - or broken, dont take it apart. I only took down my 97 once in 20 years just to see if I could. It wasn't worth the effort. Sounds like yours is tight and tight is good. 97s are cool old machines.

I just want to see it broken apart. I paid for the gun, i want to use every feature. I might never take it apart again, but atleast once would be nice. I blasted it with penetrating oil yesterday but it only rotates. Doesn't want to slide out. Maybe after a few shots it will move more...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    I just bought this a few hours ago. I've been thinking about it since the last gun show... So i came home with it today. It's a 16 gauge trap, model, deluxe wood. I just need to know if it's take down also? I paid alot for it!
    Note that it's missing the pin in the mag tube. There's a hole right through the end of it.
    Mag tube rotates by hand but the gun doesn't fall apart when I pull the pump forward. Il try posting pictures from my phone...
    http://imgur.com/a/qPvQ4a1
    Kev
    I know nothing about this gun but your picture shows a little button back where receiver and barrel assembly joins, that would be a locking button? Needs the magazine clear (screwed out?) but good chance that lock button is holding us the works? I am assuming from how TD rifles work that you twist the barrel assembly to get it apart
    just a bunch of wild a$$ guesses on my part

Boolit Master

You should be able to get the tube forward after it is rotated by sliding the forend forward - Push it forward just like you are closing the action - it will go quite a bit farther forward than just closing thi action. This forces the mag tube forward so the front end assembly can be rotated the 90 degrees to remove it from the action.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master

Or if the pin is missing some one glued the tube in place! Seen it more than once.

Boolit Master

Had to use a heat gun on my mag tube to get it loose.

The little catch on the side has to do with headspace adjustment. The mag tube has interrupted threads. Your missing mag tube lever would turn the tube 90 degrees for removal.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The little catch on the side has to do with headspace adjustment. The mag tube has interrupted threads. Your missing mag tube lever would turn the tube 90 degrees for removal.

I turn it fine with a screw driver. I can even turn it by hand. It feels free. It just doesn't slide out

Boolit Buddy
    The magazine tube has interrupted threads also. It has to be in the right position to slide forward. looking from the front, the hole for the pin should be aligned to the right of the barrel. Turn it so it aligns to the left of the barrel and it should slide forward. Once it slides forward turn the barrel counterclockwise to remove it. Both the magazine tube and barrel threads are right hand threads.

My tube doesn't want to pull out

This is how I got the gun. The hole in the tube faces right and downwards.

The I put a screwdriver in it, and twist it counter clockwise.

I push the pump forward as much as possible but nothing happens.

There she is...

Try prying forward while turning the tube with a close fitting round Phillips screwdriver in the hole. It's independent from the pump handle.

Boolit Buddy
    You must pull the tube out before you can get the pump handle to move forward. As Texas by God says they are independent of each other.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast