RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: Uberti/Stoeger High Wall 45-70

Boolit Mold

Uberti/Stoeger High Wall 45-70

As a first "long range" BPCR for me, what say the experienced shooters on here? Found a good deal (I think) on a factory new Uberti 1885 .45-70 High Wall with a 32" barrel. My experience with Ubertis so far has been good, I own 3 of their model '73s. Other than the soft screws and one ton leaf springs that I replace as soon as I get the rifles I have no complaints.
    I am trying to get my feet wet in BPCR, if I can get this gun for the asking price (under $900) I can get good MVA vernier/front globe and shoot a hell of a lot of practice for a dab of what a high dollar BPCR will run me. I'm already set up for reloading .45-70, I've got a hungry Marlin '95 to feed. I know I would need to get a few molds for the '85...Anyway, the temptation to bring this home is pretty intense.

Jason

Boolit Master

I'm quite satisfied with my Taylor/Uberti 45-70 Highwall. It was only 'lightly used' when I got it late last year and have found it quite on a par with my other two Uberti 1885s: an Uberti 38-55 and a Cimarron/Uberti 32-20 Low wall. Trigger was fairly decent 'out-of-the-box' and didn't require much in the way of tuning. So far as accuracy, shooting the same load(s) I use in my Pedersoli RB, off sandbags it'll print honest 2 MOA groups out to 300 yds...longest distance on our club range...so long as I do my part. This morning. experimenting with some bore-riders seated a little deeper into the rifling, I put 5 rounds into just under 3" @ 200 yds. Only had a few of those loaded so I didn't go for a measured group at 300 but the last 3 rounds made nice cluster just below center of the 12" steel swinger out there.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

Ive seen ubertis shoot very good. I would check to see what twist is in that barrel. A 1-18 twist will stabilize most of the big 45 cal bullets your going to be using. 32" barrel will give a good sight radius. Another thing to check is the weight of the rifle some matches have weight limits. My pederersoli sharps with 34" half round barrel is over weight for BPCR silhouette. As long as it makes weight and such I would go for it. Theres a lot to be said for practice and if you opt for another then its still there for a back up gun ir for practice.
    AS to bullets look at some in the 500+ grn range. The lyman 457125 at 500 grns does good the 535 postel can be a good performer. I have a 550 grn silhouette from old west moulds that does very good.

Boolit Mold

Thanks for the reply Bill. Is the stock an issue shooting long range? The stock looks like a low wall stock, but I don't know. 300 yards is the max I can go at the club I shoot at regularly, but I do have a range right by work that I might be able to get some time on for 600, 800 and 1k work.

Boolit Mold

country gent, It's a 1-20 twist.
    "approx weight is 10 lbs."

Boolit Grand Master

I would start with the lyman 457125 round nose goverment it should be short enough to stabilize. At 10 lbs with the big bullets' recoil is going to b on the stiffer side. It should do good and be a learner for you. Loading BP is slightly different and shooting the original type loads is an learning curve also. The 535 postel would be iffy for stabilizing in the 1-20 I think.

Loaded to BP velocities of around 1150-1200fps the rifle should do good with the 500grn lyman.

I would start with a load like this:
    New or once fired brass, trimmed, primer pockets uniformed, flash holes deburred, chamfered and deburred.
    A Remington Large rifle primer
    A charge of 1 1/2F olde Ensford powder start at no compression no air space under the seated bullet
    1 .060 wad ( I have had good results with napa rubber fiber gasket material) hand seat this onto powder with a dowel.
    2 tracing paper wads. I use these to insure the heavy wad releases
    compress this down to depth for seating to overall length.
    Seat bullet on to the wads, best is in a fired case by hand and sizer used to set very light tension on bullet.
    I use 20-1 lead tin for bullets and either spg or emmerts improved for lube. I pan lube and shoot as cast

Boolit Mold

I've been looking at some BACO molds, 510gr Creedmoor and the 500gr Government

Hello jtarms45,

My Uberti is a Stoeger import, 45-70 with straight stock & 30" barrel.
    The crescent but plate will draw blood on warm days.
    I shoot the RCBS 45-300FN, has all the kick I'd ever want but shoots well.
    Dropped a Buffalo at 114 yards, one shot.

Hope this helps, AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jtarms45 View Post
    ...Is the stock an issue shooting long range? The stock looks like a low wall stock...
    1) My Highwall, with the Lee Shaver sights installed, goes 10 lbs. 2 oz. (Just pulled it out of the safe and weighed it!)

2) Which style stock does the gun you're considering have; straight, like the original 'field grade' 1885s or the 'deluxe' style w/pistolgrip? Mine's a 'deluxe' and has a crescent buttplate but doesn't cause me any grief during a typical 50-round+ session...but, then, I'm a bit over 6' and 200 lbs and started shooting high-power competition with an '03 Springfield when I was 16 so I'm not terribly recoil sensitive.

3) You might want to actually check the barrel twist; Uberti's current spec sheet says "1-20" but my Taylor/Uberti is 1-18 (by physical measurement).

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Mold

Bill,
    The stock on this one is a straight field grade type. I'm not recoil sensitive, just wondered about the long range eyepice being cranked way up and my face being off the comb.

Boolit Mold

Thanks for the replies Bill, country gent and AntiqueSledMan. I'm pretty sure I am going to buy it. I'll make a final decision tomorrow. IF I get it, I'll have another project to work on for sure.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of these. Still working with it, not shooting how I want it to. Have tried several molds. I have found a .460 boolit works best so far. Working on the rest of the loading process.

Chuck40219
    When I speak of:
    45-70: that is a 45-70 Uberti 1885 High Wall Rifle
    357 Mag. Rifle: that is a Uberti 1873 Carbine

Twenty or so years ago I purchased a used Pedersoli 1874 Sharps Billy Dixon model in 45/70.
    It’s done good for me. I did replace the tang sight that came with it twice.
    The current tang is covered with an MVA Buffalo Soule sight.
    The front sight is a Lee Shaver with bubble.
    I have been shooting this rifle competively for nearly 20 years.
    Can our government survive the next 4 years?

Boolit Mold

I ended up buying that rifle, bore looks good too. I looked hard at it with my Hawkeye and slugged it, none of the tight spots I was expecting anyway. I still want to get a chamber cast on it, might be able to get to it tomorrow. I ordered soule and globe sights from MVA. So far I have a SAECO #645 mold, Starline and WW brass but no powder to work up any loads with yet. Planning on getting some OE and Swiss soon.