Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric motor hp question

Boolit Buddy
    230 volts drawing 1 amp is roughly 230W. One HP is 746 watts so 230/746 is 0.3HP. It is somewhere between 1/4 horse to a 1/3 horse. Good luck with getting 3 phase unless you are in an industrial area. Most housing and rural area only have two phases available. I'd take it to the junk yard and salvage the copper in it. It is about like a older washing machine motor except you can't really hook it up to power.
    Ed C

That is a toque rating, not power. It will only run on 3phase. Yes it is fractional horsepower motor.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    1 foot pound (16oz) x 600 rpm is .114 HP.

1 Amp is max load for wiring purposes.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Vendor Sponsor

Do you have access to 3-phase power? Most residential customers don't. Unless you are going to get a phase converter, that motor is a boat anchor.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

First thing is to know what Horse Power is. One HP is the ability to lift 33,000 pounds 1 foot per minute or 550 pounds 1 foot per second. It is a combination of speed and torque. Not all motors can be figured out by the amount of amps they are drawing, that would be like trying to figure out how much HP a gas engine has by the cubic inches or the amount of gas it burns.

john.k got it, I was wrong should have look at the plate.

It's not pound per foot it's ounce - foot , big difference.

Oz-ft is torque, to convert to hp you need the rpm.

Boolit Master

Most three phase motors will run on single phase but may need some help getting started and will only have about 2/3 power. I have been making my own 3 phase with an old 5HP motor. Run single phase in and get three out. I have three machines in the shop that run on three phase, been working for over 20 years.

Rather than dealing with a 3 phase motor, a option ya might consider if the grinder is only for ocassional use:

Years ago, I had a hand grinder that I took off the hand crank, ground 3 flat spots on the shaft,
    and put a 1/2" variable speed drill on it with a block of wood to support the weight of it hanging there.

For doing a couple deer a year, and a couple of hog quarters, it worked fine.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

To convert electrical motor ratings into Horse Power:

(V * I * Eff)/746=HP

You can use algebra and input your desired horse power rating then solve I (current). Then you just look for motor with your current rating. For efficiency, unless not stated, I would put 80%.

Thats a quarter horse motor. Good luck finding a 230 V power source. Your dryer outlet is 220.

(120*I*.80)/746=1
    120*I*.80=746
    96*I=746
    I=7.8 (rounded)

Fact check
    (120*7.8*.8)/746=1 (rounded) statement is true.

So you need a single phase AC motor rated for 120 V (standard house power), about 7.7 amps with an efficiency of 80% or better.

Lol, im just electrician though. I dont like engineers. I always have to fix what they mess up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rcmaveric; 10-06-2019 at 11:05 PM.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Small power 3ph motors will generally run OK on single by connecting a couple of capacitiors between the phases.....but if the volts is lower,the power reduces to almost nothing.........3ph coolant /suds pumps on machines can be run like this,with the main motor on a converter of some kind.

Banned
    If that motor will fit inside a large flat rate box I'd be very interested in taking it off your hands .
    Slow speed motors aren't all that easy to find and I much prefer three phase .

Boolit Grand Master

3 Phase is not 220 you will need a vfd and the vfd will lose a little of the torque on the motor. But not to worry that motor will turn a meat grinder with plenty of power, just use reduction and run it at 1000 rpm or so.

As a "rules of thumb" amps horsepower rating can be estimated to

115 volts motor - single-phase : 14 amps/hp
    230 volts motor - single-phase : 7 amps/hp
    230 volts motor - 3-phase : 2.5 amps/hp
    460 volts motor - 3-phase : 1.25 amps/hp

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/e...nt-d_1499.html

There are different types of 3ph power as well some places are Delta some are Wye, then there are 3 wire, 4 wire, 2 wire corner ground...

It’s also worth noting that a 3 ph motor ran off single phase power through a static phase converter takes a big hit in output power. There are also losses with Rotary phase converters and VFD’s too.

That said, your motor is 600 RPM and I assume your not going to run the grinder at 600 RPM, unless you want to destroy it. So if we slow it down to say 60 rpm, because it makes the math simple, the 10:1 ratio will give you the working torque of the motor X 10.

You do something like this where there is a 23:1 reduction and it’s easy to see that the motor they used is way overkill for that application.
    https://www.sausagemania.com/grinder.html

Basically for your purpose that motor is more trouble than it's worth. Best bet would be to sell it and get a motor more suited to the task. I was given a 50hp 3phase motor that I was going to use to run a saw mill. Nearest hook up to it was over a mile away. Power company would do it but I would have had to pay for the mile run of cable. Being it was hobby type project I didn't feel in was worth fooling with phase generator.

What he’s wanting to do isn’t that difficult. A VFD would get him 230vac 3 phase from a regular 120v single phase outlet.

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...units/gs1-10p2

Personally I would start with a gear motor though. Could be direct drive vs pulleys, belts and jackshafts. Lots of them are very reasonable on eBay, in part because people don’t know how easy it is to run them from non 3ph sources.

This big one was $30 shipped.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Well 3 fases/live wires running 220V gives 220 x square root of 2 (1,4142) = 311Volts betveen between any two wires. That times 1 Amp is 311 Watts x 3 = 933 Watts total.
    With an @ 80% effiency that damn close to 746 Watts or 1 horsepower.

The Oz-ft value only gives you a starting torque for the motor.

Not all motors have the same torque for the same horsepower!
    Compare a .21 rc engine and a steam engine both putting out one horsepower. No way they deliver the same torque.

Banned

746 watts is one hp. Whats are voltage times amperage. You know the voltage so if you get an amp reading with a clamp on amp meter and multiply it by your voltage you will get wattage

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Most three phase motors will run on single phase but may need some help getting started and will only have about 2/3 power. I have been making my own 3 phase with an old 5HP motor. Run single phase in and get three out. I have three machines in the shop that run on three phase, been working for over 20 years.
    Ran my old Millport that way for years. Found a 5HP 3ph motor, connected single phase to one winding. Started it with a pull-cord like an old-fashioned Briggs & Stratton. The other two phases would energize, and from that I ran the little mill.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Get the address of the maker off the info plate and ask them
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master

deleted
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 10-27-2019 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast