WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Praise for the Coleman stove

Banned
    I do remember the absorption type refrigerators. They use a small flame to provide the energy needed to run the system.
    Servel (Dometic) are no longer made but there are other brands still being made.
    My grandfather had a propane powered one. The Aladdin lamp company made kerosene burners for the kerosene powered refrigerators.
    The systems are nearly silent, very durable and are very simple. The downside is the added heat due to the flame, the required venting and the slow recovery when heat is added to the interior of the unit (like when you open the door and add something room temperature to be cooled).

The low voltage DC refrigerators will probably eventually replace the old ammonia based absorption refrigerators. In a warm sunny climate a solar panel, battery and charge controller will do the same thing as that flame. In a cold climate you don't really need a refrigerator !

Boolit Master
    A kero fridge would be a fun project to have in the shop, able to have a cold beverage while casting over a gasoline stove. After our Oct snow, I think it is time to unpack one of my old stoves, and make sure it is still in working order. I also just bought 20 gal of kerosene, just in case our power goes down.

After reading through this thread, I think I will take a burner out of one of my rougher condition stoves, and build a heavy duty stand for it, something that would safely hold my 80 pound capacity lead pot.

Boolit Master
    My grandfather in the 50’s and 60 used what he called white gas just plane unleaded Gas in his Boy Scout troupe . When I was in we also used just plane unleaded gas. I have used it for over 35 years in my Colmen stoves. Colmen fuel is just to expensive

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    RVs and Boats tend to use the Ammonia cycle fridges (Edison fridge IIRC?)

Another good few skills to know are how to make a Methanol stove, and how to make a Rocket or Hobo stove

Boolit Buddy
    I have three Coleman stoves. Two of them are for lead smelting/casting. The other is for camping. I don’t want lead spatter anywhere near my cooking gear.

The two that I use for smelting are the older heavyweight stoves. I have a 413E with a gold tank and a 413G with a red tank. I paid 8 dollars for one and 7 dollars for the other. They both have needed the pumps disassembled and the leather pump cups oiled. One of them seems to foul it’s generator tube more than the other one.

Over the years as a camper I had acquired three or four gallons of Coleman fuel (yard sales), it is almost gone. From what I’ve read Coleman fuel is basically Naphtha. In areas that have a large Amish community they sell it in bulk and you can get your cans refilled. I wish I had access to this stuff in bulk. Even ethanol free gasoline is a twenty mile drive for me. I haven’t used gas in these stoves yet. I guess it can’t hurt. I do think that if I convert over to gasoline it will only be for my lead melting stoves. I’ll continue to run the “good fuel” in my camping stove.

JM

Banned
    JM, I'm with you on keeping lead away from my cooking gear. My stoves used for cooking never get near lead and my stoves used or melting lead never get near food.

As for the Coleman fuel verses unleaded gasoline, I've never had a problem with burning unleaded gasoline in a Coleman stove. And frankly, if you have an $8 stove........what do you have to lose?

And yes, Coleman fuel is Naphtha (or white gas as it is sometimes known). It stores well and doesn't contain the additives of gasoline but unleaded gasoline works just fine in Coleman gas stoves.

I use non-ethanol unleaded gas but I'm not sure that 10% ethanol would be a problem in a Coleman stove, other than maybe slightly reducing the BTU output.

All of my "good" stoves are set up to run on kerosene (different gas generators) and I really prefer that fuel for cook stoves.

Boolit Master
    Another Coleman/GPA collector checking in!

And collector of kero/wick burning appliances.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    RVs and Boats tend to use the Ammonia cycle fridges (Edison fridge IIRC?)

Another good few skills to know are how to make a Methanol stove, and how to make a Rocket or Hobo stove
    During my neighborhood's road/utility reconstruction a couple years ago, I scored a slightly damaged storm sewer drain grate, that wasn't hauled away with other Iron they planned on recycling. I have been thinking about a brick rocket stove.

https://momwithaprep.com/build-brick-rocket-stove/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I actually cast bullets in my college dorm room using a single burner Coleman - 1969(KSU) - 45 Hawes dual cylinder, single cavity Lyman 454424, COWW. Still have the working stove, 'loaned' mold to 'friend', won't do that again. Dorm had 'arms room'.

Above 8500 ft altitude, I found 'Coleman fuel' did not work very well, unleaded gas works much better. Before 'unleaded' gas appeared, leaded gas was used, but the generator would clog after several gallons. Generators were cheaper than Coleman fuel at that time so were simply replaced.
    Last edited by MostlyLeverGuns; 10-12-2019 at 03:23 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    JM, I'm with you on keeping lead away from my cooking gear. My stoves used for cooking never get near lead and my stoves used or melting lead never get near food.

As for the Coleman fuel verses unleaded gasoline, I've never had a problem with burning unleaded gasoline in a Coleman stove. And frankly, if you have an $8 stove........what do you have to lose?

And yes, Coleman fuel is Naphtha (or white gas as it is sometimes known). It stores well and doesn't contain the additives of gasoline but unleaded gasoline works just fine in Coleman gas stoves.

I use non-ethanol unleaded gas but I'm not sure that 10% ethanol would be a problem in a Coleman stove, other than maybe slightly reducing the BTU output.

All of my "good" stoves are set up to run on kerosene (different gas generators) and I really prefer that fuel for cook stoves.
    The next time that I'm passing by the marina (where I can get ethanol-free) I'm gonna pick up five gallons. I've been wanting to start running it in my landscaping tools that have small gasoline engines. I can never seem to remember to take a can with me when I go that way.

JM

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post

The next time that I'm passing by the marina (where I can get ethanol-free) I'm gonna pick up five gallons. I've been wanting to start running it in my landscaping tools that have small gasoline engines. I can never seem to remember to take a can with me when I go that way.

JM

Quote Originally Posted by JM7.7x58 View Post
    JM
    For 2 strokes, the alcohol will actually run them a little better.
    The combustion flame is a little cooler, and they'll wind out to a bit higher rpm.

At least that's what the 2 stroke outboard boat racers claim.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Crown fuel is about 2/3rds the cost of Coleman fuel at Wally world.
    Shaune509

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JM7.7x58 View Post

JM
    You can also check small regional airports that deal with general aviation. Many now have Mo-gas or Auto-gas. Its just 100% ethanol free 87 octane. Gives you more options, might be cheaper than the marina too. Don't get 100LL though, it will foul small engines quickly.

Around here many of our gas stations now offer ethanol free 87 at a price increase over ethanol blends but it is easy to find.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

In Remembrance
    My portable gas stove collection contains a vintage Coleman double burner that we purchased new, 2 WW II single burner units and 2 Coleman single burner units that were both purchased new. The newer one of those was labeled as being able to use any gas fuel. That one is the only one regularly used for camping today. Haven't tried casting with any yet, but that is an option. I'm sure the 3 older units will require some "tweaking" to get running
    again. My last purchase of Coleman gas was a garage sale find; a gallon can for $1.00! Still have most of that left.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The two down sides of using a Coleman stove for pouring your own -

* The grid bars will get a bit warped and change color a bit, from being held under heavy load and high heat for so long.

* The tank will need to be refilled every now and then for you younguns who can cast in really long sessions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12