Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: What to Make of Vortex?

Boolit Man

What to Make of Vortex?

A few years ago, I purchased a Vortex PST 6x24x50 scope for a .308 rifle. At almost $1k, it was not a cheap scope. However, it was cheaper than Nightforce. Recently, I took the Vortex off of the .308 and mounted it on a .338 Lapua. Vortex said it could handle it so why not? Big mistake. On the fifth round, the side turret blew off and landed a few benches to the right. Inside, the optic was filled with black soot.

Now one thing I can say about Vortex is that they do honor their warranty. Even if your dog eats it, they will fix or replace it free of charge. I put the optic in the mail and a little over a week later it was back good as new.

As most optics goes these days, Vortex is made overseas. Made in the Philippines as a matter of fact. I know they do this to keep the prices low but at the same time, I feel their business model is to stick an incredible warranty on a marginal product and bank they will still make money on the few that come back.

For reference, my Nightforce has been mounted on my 50 BMG for 17 years and has taken at least a few thousand rounds of abuse. Zero hasn't changed since the day I first sighted it in.

Now I know that a Vortex is not a Nightforce but then again, a .338 Lapua isn't a 50 BMG either. Nevertheless, I'm going to re-mounnt the Vortex on the .338 Lapua. Maybe the first time was a fluke. But if not, we will see how long Vortex keeps fixing this thing.

Boolit Master

im always at sort of a toss up on vortex stuff. some is elcheapo, and some is pretty decent stuff. they do have a reputation of backing their warranty though, if you dont mind having to warranty stuff. i personally only have 2 of their items, a red dot which honestly i think is subpar stuff not worth half what it cost. after a long time i figured id give a scope a try, and ended up with a 1-4x PST, and for the money its a solid piece with fairly good optics. im with you on nightforce, if money allows, 9 out of 10 times id choose a nightforce, certainly wouldnt at this point in life trade any of my NF scopes for anything vortex.

Boolit Man
    Well, on the bright side of things, when I took the Vortex off my .308 (AR-10), I replaced it with a Trijicon ACOG. What and astoundingly amazing optic it is. It turned a relatively expensive mediocre rifle into an absolute beast of a mid-range tack driving machine. Currently my favorite rifle thanks to the optic. In the meantime, I'm just going to save my pennies until I figure out what to put on that .338 Lapua. It is a police model Rem 700. Surely there is an appropriate match out there somewhere because the Vortex just aint cutting it. .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DiverJay View Post
    Well, on the bright side of things, when I took the Vortex off my .308 (AR-10), I replaced it with a Trijicon ACOG. What and astoundingly amazing optic it is. It turned a relatively expensive mediocre rifle into an absolute beast of a mid-range tack driving machine. Currently my favorite rifle thanks to the optic. In the meantime, I'm just going to save my pennies until I figure out what to put on that .338 Lapua. It is a police model Rem 700. Surely there is an appropriate match out there somewhere because the Vortex just aint cutting it. .
    i like the nightforce SHV. same optics as the NXS, but minus some of the features that most guys will never worry about that run up the costs.

Boolit Master
    I have several Vortex rifle scopes, on rifles from .22 LR to 300 Win Mags and a M1A1. All of mine have tracked perfectly, optics are crisp and clear. From the Vipers to the Crossfire2's, I have never had a issue with one. And I shoot every day, I mean every day of the year, unless I am sick. I guess I am just lucky, but so are a lot of my friends who are serious riflemen as well.

Boolit Master
    I am going to start buying Leupold again. I've had 5 Vortex scopes in the last 4 years. 3 got sent back for adjusters falling apart. I think they're marginal scopes with good customer service.

Boolit Master
    I have one Vortex, my last. It is fairly clear, and the adjustments do go in the direction indicated, but that is about all...it is a real adventure sighting it in. Sometimes 4 clicks get you an inch at 100 yds. and sometimes they get you 4 inches. It has held zero once set.

Banned

Ive had good luck with vortex. Now I wont compare a 300 dollar scope or even a 1000 dollar scope to a 2000 plus dollar night force. That just wouldn't be fair. As to recoil I have a buddy I do crop damage shooting with that is one of those guys that thinks anything more then 200 bucks is a waste of money. He has a vortex crossfire 3x9 on his 300 wby and other on a 7 rem mag and has probably taken a 100 deer with those two guns. Are they a night force? heck no. But I sit in the middle of his opinion and some who have glass adictions. I don't shoot 1000 yard competition. I kill deer. I have scopes like vx3 leupolds, Nikon monarchs, bushnell 4200s all that are probably double what my buddy would spend but sorry im not buying a 2000 dollar ar15 or a 3000 dollar scope. Id about bet the farm that you could return that vortex and use the replacement and never have a lick of trouble with it. Id about bet if you searched enough and if night force sold as many scopes as vortex does youd find a couple of them that failed too.

Boolit Master
    I own four Vortex products....Venom reflex, SPARC, Crossfire II 2x7 Scout Scope, and a Crossfire II 1x4 with lighted reticle. They all work as advertised, with a lifetime warranty. Plus, you get to talk with an American, if you call for service. Hard to beat for non serious work. FWIW, I also own several Leopold V3's, Trijicon Accupoints, Bausch & Lomb and Burris.

Winelover

Boolit Master

I too have around 4 vortex scopes son in law has some also and he has been pleased with his , as I am with mine .

Boolit Bub
    did they explain why the optic was full of black soot? What you describe sounds like an expolsion. im just currious how that happened.

Boolit Master
    I, too, have several Vortex optics and am quite pleased with the quality. I confess I do wish they were made in the US.

BTW, if you're a veteran or law enforcement, Vortex has a great discount program (something not offered by Nightforce, Leupold, etc). I've bought two of my scopes through that program.

Cheers,
    Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life