RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionADvertise here
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Federal LE 38 Spl +P LSWCHP?

Boolit Buddy

Federal LE 38 Spl +P LSWCHP?

This ammo in Federal white boxes has been around for sometime on the major ammo seller sites. Do you know if Federal is still making it or are the ammo sites selling it as old new stock? It works well in my heavier SP101 even with what looks like just a taper crimp.

Sounds like Fed government contracted to buy a lot of it and then for some reason didn’t take deliveries of it (termination for convenience scenario?) and thusly it is being sold to the general public through ammo sites.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Probably contract over runs. Federal lists 38G in their LE catalog and some agencies still buy it for issue to officers who carry revolvers for off-duty guns. Very few departments, other than some state corrections, still issue revolvers as primary service weapons.

In my experience the Federal load did not perform well from barrels shorter than 3 inches, because the lead alloy used was too hard and the cavity geometry wrong. You would be much better off getting the Winchester X38SPD or Remington R38S12 load.

Don't know if it's still the case, but Federal contract lot numbers used to be the last two digits of the year, followed by a letter code for the month, Julian date, loading machine number and shift, so you can tell how old it is.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Wow, out of 149 posts you seem to have started 38 threads about .38 Special and .357 Mag! That's gotta be some kinda record!

Not complaining at all. I'm a big fan of .38/.357 too.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    Wow, out of 149 posts you seem to have started 38 threads about .38 Special and .357 Mag! That's gotta be some kinda record!

Not complaining at all. I'm a big fan of .38/.357 too.
    Checking up on me and counting my threads....yikes, that’s a little creepy lol!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Probably contract over runs. Federal lists 38G in their LE catalog and some agencies still buy it for issue to officers who carry revolvers for off-duty guns. Very few departments, other than some state corrections, still issue revolvers as primary service weapons.

In my experience the Federal load did not perform well from barrels shorter than 3 inches, because the lead alloy used was too hard and the cavity geometry wrong. You would be much better off getting the Winchester X38SPD or Remington R38S12 load.

Don't know if it's still the case, but Federal contract lot numbers used to be the last two digits of the year, followed by a letter code for the month, Julian date, loading machine number and shift, so you can tell how old it is.
    Thank you Outpost75, you’re a wealth of knowledge and I/we always value and appreciate your informed responses and advice.

Have a good one

Boolit Buddy

I bought a couple of cases of this a few years ago. Some outfit on line had them for the same price as plinking ammo. It was reported on-line to have bullet creep in light guns. I set up my crimping die to put a good firm crimp and ran it all through. Made for some really cheap .38spl "performance" ammo.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    dgilbert07 at windstream dot net