Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: 22 LR through 22 Rem Magnum chambered barrel?

Boolit Bub

22 LR through 22 Rem Magnum chambered barrel?

Greetings
    Generally speaking can a person expect minute -of- squirrel or beer can, clay pigeon and etc? Of course assuming the shooter is doing his/her part. Not shooting at paper for any scores or points just plain fun with the GKids.
    What say you friends?
    Thank you for your thoughts
    follow Me

Cases can split. Accuracy poor. I had a ruger single six with both cylinders and tried 22lr in the 22wmr. Didn't bother again.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I've never tried it in a rifle, but accuracy is a non existent word when doing that in a handgun.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master

poor choice.

Boolit Master
    If you can find .22 WRFs, they work as a sub load in .22 RF Magnum chambered rifles. They are produced intermittently by Winchester, and CCI made them in hollow point a while back. Accuracy is what it is; some guns mind the bullet jump more than others.

No cost savings whatsoever, but I’m an admirer of the .22 WRF anyway.

Banned

Why would you do this?

Boolit Grand Master

BUy a supplement chamber if you have to do this but It's more trouble than it is worth.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    File of heads of empty mag brass. Use as liners for l.r. ammo. Won’t split cases that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Heritage Rough Rider with .22lr and .22mag cylinders. I won't shoot .22lr ammo through it anymore. It just is not accurate enough to be worth it.

.22mag it stacks up nice enough to be fun.

Just bite the bullet and stock up on .22wmr. Prices are actually not that bad right now. More than .22lr yes, but not that bad.

Gun bot shows 2 sources at 19 cents ea and 2 at 20 cents each.Now granted that is a lot more than .22lr, but it will fit the rifle, give you some kind of accuracy, and hit a lot harder also.

I drilled the head out of some mag cases and cut them lengthwise to make some .22mag to LR adapters and they work OK. Shoot .22LR CCI quiet ammo out of my Savage 30GM and it's fun plinking. They are accurate when done like this.

Last edited by steve urquell; 10-12-2019 at 08:03 AM.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Master

Very resourceful Steve. Looks like it would get you buy in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    Very resourceful Steve. Looks like it would get you buy in a pinch.
    Thank you sir. I love shooting the little rifle but had gotten to where I hardly ever did because it's so loud. I shoot those CCI quiet rounds out of it with the adapter and it's a fun little plinker. Accuracy is not affected by the adapters. It'll put em all in the bull at 25yds.

You do have to pick the brass out with a fingernail but it keeps you from burning up a bunch of ammo.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Bub
    Pretty clever !!!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    but I’m an admirer of the .22 WRF anyway.
    Me too .... Stevens 44 1/2, mint bore, fun to shoot and accurate
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Follow Me View Post
    Greetings
    Generally speaking can a person expect minute -of- squirrel or beer can, clay pigeon and etc? Of course assuming the shooter is doing his/her part. Not shooting at paper for any scores or points just plain fun with the GKids.
    What say you friends?
    Thank you for your thoughts
    follow Me
    .22LR is never recommended for use in a .22WMR chamber as the cartridge is too small in diameter for the chamber diameter.
    On the other hand, using a sleeve to make up the diameter difference AND have the sleeve as long as the .22WMR case corrects both the diameter and the possibility of a buildup of fouling, or erosion of a, ring in the chamber short of the WMR case length, which makes extraction of spent WMR cases a problem.

As stated .22WRF cartridges are same diameter as a .22WMR but shorter.
    Extended firing of WRF in a WMR will develop a hard fouling ring at the mouth of the WRF case which can make extraction of WMR fired cases a problem if not thoroughly cleaned out.

chev. William

Boolit Master

Yep for sure nothing but bad will come from firing 22lr in a 22 mag (unlined anyway) chamber since it simply does not fit, it's too small and too short. Sure it will go bang but it will result in split cases and lack anything resembling accuracy as has already been pointed out several times but what has not been mentioned is the possibility of injury from leaking gas due to a lack of chamber sealing. I ran into this many years ago (a LOT of years ago! ) when as a kid I discovered a box of cartridges in an old abandoned house. These as it turns out were the (apparently?) long obsolete 22 "extra" long cartridges which were longer than 22 lr and I thought might be suitable for my single shot Ithaca lever rifle in 22 magnum. That didn't work too well, the cases split and on about the third or fourth shot I got a face full of hot gas and debris and some junk in my eye!

As a side note a few days later when I tried to chamber a proper 22 mag round I discovered the chamber to be fouled by rust that I now know was from either black powder or corrosive priming or both, of course that's not going to be a problem with modern ammo. I sure would like to have that box of copper cased 22 ammo today but after what happened I threw the rest of them away!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot