Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on Ruger SR9

Boolit Master

Opinion on Ruger SR9

The reason I ask is that I am thinking of one to compliment my Ruger PC9 carbine to share mags. I love the carbine with the Ruger mags. I know it will also accept Glock mags but the 32 round mags add weight and I don't want that, 17 rds. is plenty for me. Please share your experience. Thanks.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

I find them to be a good pistol , got a sr9 a few years ago , bought 3 of the 9e , same thing but no loaded round indicator and not as rounded or some such less aesthetic appeal , really can not tell one from other at a glance , my son in law likes the 9e , friends daughter loves her 9e , spare magazines are a little spendy , shop around and you can find them in the 2 pack for a decent price , has the glock style trigger safety but also a manual safety which is ambidextrous . Picked up the three 9e on gunbroker for good prices . I to think 17 is plenty of rounds and those carbines are attractive for the compatibility .

Boolit Master
    I got one not long after they came out. I found it to be a truly great gun. Comfortable,, slim,, and packing 17 rounds quite nicely. I've even used mine in "Production" category in a few USPSA matches. My personal feelings it's an underappreciated model.
    We've also used mine for many NRA Women ON Target clinics. MANY of the ladies likes it as compared to other 9mm handguns too!

I have an sr9c. It takes 10 round or 17 round mags. I think the barrel is a little shorter. Mine has never missed a beat. It shot shotgun patterns until I started using .358 bullets. Now it as accurate as I can shoot it. The trigger is pretty good right out of the box. It is my summer carry piece.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy

Had an SR9C. Shot fine, no malfunctions, used cast SWC boolits. It was too big for my hand, so it got traded. Actually it performed better than my Glock 19, that did not stay with me either.

Boolit Master
    I have the full size SR9. It has been a great one for me as well. It is one of my "go to" carry firearms, with the other being a full size 45. I rarely carry snubbies, but they are in the "stable" as well. But the SR9 is one of the two most common ones for me & I like it that well.

Compacts are too small for me to shoot comfortably , as I do not like the little finger hanging out. If I add a magazine that has the extra place for my finger to the compact one, I may as well carry the SR9.

I really like it a lot. Enough to trust my life & anyone in my family that is with me when I carry it anyway.

No matter what anyone else might say, I think it suits me fine & looking at the other posts so far, it suits others as well, even if the do not use it for a carry firearm.

P.S. - it shoots cast just fine, once I got things figured out for it. Just had to find the right combinations of things to make it work great.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I bought one ( a 9mm) during the great Obama gun sale years and it has never missed a beat. Not once has it ever failed to feed or jammed with anything I stuffed in the magazine. It didn't care for the 158 gr swc boolits as far as accuracy but it fed them perfectly and that is something you cannot say about all semi auto pistols. I, too, think it is an under appreciated gun, but it is an anvil when it comes to reliability. Plus...it is not as square and blocky as a Glock but I think it is every bit as dependable.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I had a SR9 for a number of years - an excellent shooter with cast/reloiads and never an issue of any kind with mine. As accurate as I was - i.e. - I'm sure it was capable of even more accuracy than my shooting. I ended up selling mine when I got a 9mm Shield for carry - recently I've switched to a Baby Glock. I wasn't shooting the SR9 very much so decided to let it go - at times I wish I hadn't made that decision as it was a nice range pistol as well as a nice wood's gun. If I ran across a used one at a decent price, I'd have no issue with getting it - I've never really heard of anyone having any issues with them. At the time I bought mine, I did look at a SR9C - between the SR9 and the SR9C - I preferred the SR9.

Boolit Buddy
    I had 3 sr9 gave one to each of my sons and one for myself .we all like them no problems with the sr series guns.

Boolit Master
    I have to add one thing...

I don't see a lot of used ones for sale on the market & "to me" , that says a lot. ( IIRC, they don't even make them any more)
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

I had the sr9c and thought it one of the best pistols I ever had. It was slimmer than the Glock 26 and it carried great.

I had so many Glock magazines and extra parts I really couldn’t justify another platform. But the sr9 and the ppc would make a great combo!

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I had a SR9 for a number of years - an excellent shooter with cast/reloiads and never an issue of any kind with mine. As accurate as I was - i.e. - I'm sure it was capable of even more accuracy than my shooting. I ended up selling mine when I got a 9mm Shield for carry - recently I've switched to a Baby Glock. I wasn't shooting the SR9 very much so decided to let it go - at times I wish I hadn't made that decision as it was a nice range pistol as well as a nice wood's gun. If I ran across a used one at a decent price, I'd have no issue with getting it - I've never really heard of anyone having any issues with them. At the time I bought mine, I did look at a SR9C - between the SR9 and the SR9C - I preferred the SR9.
    I bought a S&W Shield too and it was the one gun I didn't like or shoot very well from the start. Thank goodness I didn't sell my SR9 or trade it. I have loaned it to one of my long time hunting buddies that was being over run with hogs , especially testy sows with pigglets. He told me that the 147gr cast boolits really took the wind out of the sails of some pretty large hogs. He is a hunter and not a full time shooter and he even admitted that if He could hit with a pistol it must be easy. I may have to run him down to get mine back!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

In Remembrance

I bought an SR9c for the wife and it shoots fine, no complaints here. It does well with factory or plated bullets but my cast is a tad small for it so accuracy is all over the place with them.

Boolit Master

At the studio where we teach cpl and advanced offensive shooting skills when they first came out we bought a SR9 to evaluate and it’s been a class room gun every since; you wouldn’t believe the amount of people who have guns fail or bring the wrong ammo- anyhow we have run literally thousands of rounds through it without a hicup factory- reloads and cast loads- dry little maintenance just routine cleaning; never missed a lock; my brother has carried his SR for years before just recently replacing it with a Sig; didn’t sell the SR he says it runs to good and shoots to well to get ride of it.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the feedback guys. I expected more negative replies and on a public forum all positive reponses are rare. Looks like I will be owning one before long.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

I would say to snatch some spare parts since the SR9 is discontinued- but it's a Ruger; it probably wont break.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The SR series is back, at least for now. They are on the Ruger site again and my local shop has them under the glass. I suspect the Ruger American Pistol isn't selling nearly what they hoped it would either. Nobody around here even bothers to keep it in stock. The SR's on the other hand always sold really well.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    The SR9 is the first semi-auto I bought. I like it. Shoots good, cycles good, easy to break down and clean. Only thing I don't like is that it is a bit large to be concealed well. A S&W M&P shield 9mm is better for CC.

I bought a SR9 years ago and found it to be a very reliable and easy pistol to shoot. With the arched backstrap, it has similar feel to my Hi Powers. It is very thin for a 17 shot handgun. My sister wanted to get her CCW permit and bought a Ruger LCP .380 for carry and the shooting portion of the class, before going with me and trying out different models that I own. I took her to my club before her class for familiarization. She did not like the LCP, but was very pleased with my SR9. She ended up using the SR9 for her class, which she passed handily. I ended up giving her the SR9 for her CCW handgun along with all of the magazines and holsters I had for it.

Never had any issues with it. I removed the magazine safety, easily done following the factory instructions. Trigger was shootable and overall I felt it is an excellent buy.

Boolit Master
    I’ve had an sr9e (basically the same gun without the loaded chamber indicator and the slide serrations are a little different ) and I’ve put over 5000 rounds through it. Not one problem! And I’ve outshot many more expensive guns with it! I love it! The sites on mine are more basic than those on the SR9 but still functional. With my old eyes I sometimes wish I had night sites.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast