RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toz 22 Just bought one

Your photos are just fine for size. I wish mine were bigger. Dem Rooskies sure come up with some different designs, don't they? Since they seem to be training rifles, I guess they wanted yours to be automatically on safe before every shot and to require an additional step to fire it. It is interesting how that was circumvented on your first specimen. My first .22, a Stevens 15-A received at age 12, required the bolt to be cocked by pulling on the cocking knob before each shot, but otherwise had no safety. It was either cocked and ready to fire, or uncocked and safe. There was more than one critter I was getting ready to pop that was alerted by the sound of the cocking knob being pulled. I hope that you're able to find another bolt and have two complete rifles.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stevens 15-A 002.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	249635
    Click to enlarge.

Oh-- I was wondering, what kind (brand) of ammo do you have available "down under", and what does it cost? As recently as 5 years ago we were having a severe .22 ammo scarcity, but it has been plentiful for a couple of years now and is available in almost any brand made anywhere, including Mexico and Europe. Of course the domestic products are the most reasonably priced, Federal, Remington, Winchester, CCI, etc. Prices are almost down to pre-shortage levels when there's a sale. A distributor named MidwayUSA recently sent me an e-mail ad for Remington Thunderbolt ammo, a brick of 500, for $14.99; but I see the same thing in a local chain store not on sale for almost $25.00. Just wondering what your situation is?

DG

We never had much of a shortage of ammo. I can't what ammo brands we have but there is quite a range - or was when I last looked. I just bought Federal subsonic hollow nose. I do have the odd other brand, including a packet of 'yellow jackets'. I don't remember prices - I'll have to check.

I have a few Lithgow single shots that work like yours. They seem to have safety that works by turning the cocking knob. One or two work while one or two have some issue. I must have another look at them. I bought them as project guns to shorten and fit suppressors. I've only done one so far for my niece's son. It turned out to be a neat little rifle. Accurate and nicely balanced. These things are made using 'ordinance steel'. Tough stuff, difficult to cut with a hacksaw.

It took many hours of rubbing boiled linseed oil onto that stock to get that finish.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 10-14-2019 at 11:35 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

I'm seeing that we have quite a selection of ammo here in New Zealand. A wide range of CCI ammo and also Winchester and Federal, some Eley, Lapua, Cobra, Browning and Remington.

Prices vary from about NZ$70 to NZ$125 per 500 round brick. CCI subsonic bricks are NZ$96. I didn't see any match ammo which used to be available.

Boolit Master
    My first rifle was a Toz-8,very much like the one posted here but a single shot. -77 that was.

It came with "explosive" Russian varmint ammo,the bullets had a drop of mercury inside them... absolutely devastating and completely crazy.

I sure wouldn"t mind still having both. The rifle was a good shooter.

That's a neat looking rifle, 303Guy.

It sounds like you've got a good spread of .22 ammo brands. I'm not up on what the exchange rate is for NZ vs. US dollars are, but it sounds expensive.

Petander -- I've never heard of explosive Russian ammo before. I doubt if the environmentalists here would allow spraying mercury around for very long. Come to think about it....I think there was some available for a few years, but I haven't seen it on the market for a long time, and I don't know how it worked. The same company also distributed .22 tracer ammo, and I believe I've still got some of that.

That drop of mercury if I have my facts right, will dissolve into the lead, making it very soft.

The exchange rate is 1 US $ to 1.56 NZ $ at this moment.

Thinking about this Toz - it has a 1 in 14 twist. Some time back there was available 60gr subsonic ammo that also very quiet in long barreled guns. I would like to try this stuff in my rifle. I did hear reports that it didn't always work in 16 twist rifles.

That rifle was a Christmas gis to my 10 year old great nephew. He learned to shoot on my Remington which was a bit big for him. That little gun was perfect for him, and accurate too. He was deadly with it. I should try him on my Toz. He's now a tall lanky teenager.

If you have Mexican Aguila ammo available, it can be had in some very low powered loads including priming only. No louder than my Benjamin pellet rifle.

Boolit Master
    Yeah the whole mercury thing was long time ago. Never thought about dissolving or construction in the first place...don't know about long term storage. But they were around,almost common,go figure...

So that's the ammo the rifle came with anyway, "explosive" needed no special buying permit or anything. At that time there was a separate paperwork/ permit for buying any ammo. Permit was caliber specific but had no other restrictions.

Gast forward to 2019:

That Aquila 60 grain looks very interesting. I'm just about to "add to basket".
    Last edited by Petander; 10-22-2019 at 11:13 PM.

The Aguila Colibris sound like a finger snap. The Super Colibris are a little more toot so they wont stick in rifle barrels( Colibris can) I tried a box of the 60gr SSS and they did not stabilize in any of the .22 rifles and pistols I tried it in.
    Oh- and the mercury bullets remind me of "Day of the Jackal"....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Aquila 60 grain is the one. I've heard it shot and is pretty quiet. At the distance fired there didn't seem to be any issues but I have heard of stability issues. The Toz 17 has a 14 inch twist rate (as I measured) so I was thinking this stuff might be handy to try if it's still available in my parts.

CCI Quiet ammo is a great and accurate quiet subsonic ammo. Same 750ish velocity as CB caps. Will not cycle my autos.

My FIL and I were shooting Aguila Colibris at a target backed with 3/4" maple trailer scuff board and getting ricochets straight back--he got hit in the chest gently lol.

Super Colibris are 590fps and very quiet.

Compared to suppressed rifle/pistol noise:
    Colibri: as quiet
    Super Colibri, CCI quiet: 2x louder in rifle, 3x in pistol
    CCI std vel, Fed Suppressor: 3X louder rifle, 4x pistol.

My go-to suppressor ammo is Fed American Eagle suppressor 45 gr plated. Very accurate and clean.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

I've just bought another Toz. Haven't picked it up yet. Heck - I haven't even tried the previous one I got! I don't know what model this one is but it looks the same.

So My 'new' Toz turns out to be a model 17

Nice of your Mrs. to buy it for you!

Yeah, normally I would have just snuck it in - she wouldn't notice there was another one but this time I had to go fetch it on the weekend. I didn't know what to do but in a stroke of genius, I told her she bought it for me for Valentine's day. She was happy with that.

It turns out I have been making an error in the model numbers of these three rifles - they are Toz 17's. The last one being a Toz 17 01, which is a later model. It's bolt is different but fits and works in 17's and the magazine and magazine well is plastic. The mag is missing. Anyway, they are Tula made Ruskies.

As stated much earlier, mine is a TOZ 17-01, but there is nothing plastic on it.
    Sort of surprising that the 17-01 bolt will work properly in earlier models.
    Clever folks, those Tula people.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12